Post match: Everton v Liverpool (EPL 3/9/22 12.30pm)

Agreed; I find that the most plausible explanation.

However, if our training has been about keeping Mo and Luis wide and Darwin operatng as a more traditional number nine, why hasn’t Bobby been training the same way and told to do that in matches?

3 Likes

I hated what Cantona did, but I understand it.

People typically dont understand how good even a bad premier league player is and at any given prem stadium or on any internet forum they are just constantly accused of being fucking shit. At some point, being subjected to this abuse from a man who would collapse under his portly shitness at even Sunday league level would be enough to break me.

7 Likes

Hello 20/21 my old friend…
Jota’s 10 minutes made us look more like the old Liverpool than at any other point.

I don’t see it as a coincidence that the players that look hungry - namely Elliott, Fabio, Diaz, Nunez - are the ones that haven’t been involved much or not at all in any of our achievements. While the players really struggling but also looking disinterested - Fab,Robbo, Trent, Virg, Salah, Hendo ,Milly - are the ones who have won it all. I really hope I’m wrong and it’s not a hunger issue.

1 Like

I still have full faith that once we get up and running we’ll be a level above everyone bar City. The issue in terms of where we end up is how many games it takes us to find our stride, because right now Im not seeing evidence of it being around the corner.

9 Likes

I think it’s this. We have adapted our forward play this seaosn. Look at every in match thread, to see complaints of Diaz and Salah staying out wide.

Even when Bobby came in, seemed like we were still following the new tactical instructions.

With injuries, maybe better to get back to basics - Salah is our premier scorer, get him in better positons. When Thiago et al return, try out the new patterns.

3 Likes

I can’t help how I feel, and I am usually pretty upbeat to be fair, but I’m not feeling good about this season already. Given how well our rivals have hit the ground running I fear we might have already dropped too many points to be in contention this season. I know we’ll improve, and we’re carrying injuries yada yada, but we could have easily lost today. Milner is not the answer when it’s not going well. I need to adjust my expectations to be able to say anything useful I think, but for now I’m pretty pissed off with how things are going.

1 Like

Don’t panic all

We could be Chelsea… they look royally fucked, even after spending £200m

Edit: £253.79m

3 Likes

I’m not panicking just yet, and this was nowhere near as bad as the Utd defeat, but we certainly don’t look at the races. The structure is there - and I thought we defended resolutely for the most part, particularly Gomez - but our build up play is slow and predictable. If I’m honest, I thought this was an issue towards the end of last season as well, so it’s probably fair to say fatigue is playing a part. But it really is noticeable how much more sluggish we look without Thiago in the team.

I’ve defended Milner previously, but he really slows us down. I think throwing Arthur in won’t do any harm in that respect.

But yeah, on another day, we maybe sneak that - maybe last season we would have. With some tweaks, I think we’ll start chalking up more wins, but it needs to be fast. Some tough fixtures, including Chelsea away, coming up.

1 Like

Why do Everton fans feel they’re entitled to behave this way? I hope he gets a stadium ban at least.

3 Likes

Most of the shots he ‘saved’ he was in the middle of the goal and we shot strait at them, Adrian would have stayed them all.

1 Like

Fans are shit, the stadium is shit, the pitch was shit, the dressing rooms are a portkabin still (I believe, that’s shit).

About the only thing they have going for them is they can get it up twice a year and I believe that doesn’t last forever.

Liverpool have been out run in every single match this season.

[Dan Kennett]

Couldn’t/didn’t read after the first paragraph. May your coming days are blessed. :pray:

1 Like

We’ve had the majority of possession in each game. It is tough to outrun the opposition when you have that much more of the ball

7 Likes

My first thought too. Would be more interested to know how our stats compare to previous seasons in games in which we had similar amounts of possession.

1 Like

Aye, my eyes tell me its likely down, but Im also conscious that bad spacing and starting positions might contribute to our inability to press effective and pick up second balls as much as work rate per se

1 Like

I think we’ve seen the last of that heavy metal football sadly.

We don’t appear to have the personnel now for that high press, quick passing and hard work rate.

Of course, tactics change i know that, 5 years of pressing football has taken its toll on all the players and Klopp has had to adapt. The players just need to adapt to the new style…whatever that is !

Prog rock football.

You spend hours on the intro but then fuck all happens.

4 Likes

Disagree. The original implementation has to be downgraded in importance simply because we found ourselves in a situation of team conceding possession to us. But even a good possession game can be allied by a high press, as it has been at our best. Few people appreciate how hard Pep’s barca worked off the ball and their absurd possession stats were partly down to how quickly they won the ball back.

2 Likes

Well done you bitters. You didn’t lose the first of your two cup finals this season :clap:

1 Like