Post match: Leeds Utd v Liverpool (EPL 12/9/21 4.40pm)

Because it’s a still of a particular second of ase sequence of movements. I’m sure there are many examples in matches last season when a var decision went against us when we said the slowed down replay makes it look worse, which it does.

So again just to clarify, from the real time view with no replay or other angle viewings it looked to me like a genuine tackle that unfortunately led to a bad injury. If people here have seen other angles then they can comment on that and if / when I see the same I’ll have no problem changing my opinion based on the evidence.

There was a replay of the incident posted in this thread I think.

The problem here is the serial effort on these kind of events of setting a false basis for the argument.

Intent has ZERO to do with it.

He could have an angelic disposition for all I care.

Its the action and its impact that are the only relevant things here…

3 Likes

A scissors tackle by definition is reckless and if it was a scissors then a red is justified regardless of any injury sustained.

My heartfelt wishes go to Harvey and wish him a successful and speedy recovery. He literally has the world at his feet.

Having watched this video above, I ask myself now whether it wasn’t an intentional attack. Elliot was about to be replaced, had humiliated the Leeds players time and time again, so Struijt went for it, in order to take vengeance. It’s not out of the question. I was thinking this just when it happened. Afterwards, I thought that it wasn’t intentional. But having watched this now again… the way how he stretches his left leg to be sure to go through Elliot’s foot… hmm…

I really despair at the trite responses at times.

2 Likes

So why make so many?

1 Like

Thanks for posting it as I hadn’t seen it yet.

That’s a bad one. Left the ground in a lunging manner but the worst thing for me is that he turned and tried to use his right foot to get the ball (that’s the wrong foot in that scenario by the way). Basically out of control all the way.

Words that spring to mind are clumsy, stupid and yes reckless. Not intention to injure but when you make a challenge with such poor technique like that then they shouldn’t be surprised when a card comes out.

1 Like

Maybe some people should switch to Basketball or Volleyball if they prefer a no contact sports.

Players goes for the ball not for the player and has a touch at the ball. Harvey awkwardly lands. Unlucky.

No need to make this bigger because a Liverpool player got injured.

He got his red card. Let’s move on.

Or maybe we wait until he gets some life threats by Liverpool fans on social media. That will make us look good again.

3 Likes

I’d personally go with clumsy and reckless.

Not malicious but not innocuous for that matter.

The Leeds player landing on Harvey’s leg was what seems to have caused the injury. Most likely as a result of a scissors tackle and not being fully in control. Reckless for sure and a scissors warrants a red every time imo irrespective of any injury. From the video shown above though and maybe it’s my aging eyes but I can’t clearly make out a scissors tackle.

Yeah, I’m still trying to get my head around what was going through his head trying to tackle someone like that. All backwards and wrong way round etc.

Kind of challenge that you shout “what the f*** was that” type of thing.

1 Like

It’s really unfortunate that Harvey’s injury is the talking point and not the wonderful mature performance we put on. By far our best of the season (I didn’t see the Chelsea match), we controlled 95% of the game probably and passe around their press whilst pressuring them into constantly giving away possession easily.

3 Likes

It’s not a scissor tackle in my book because he’s used the wrong leg. This was just a completely screwed up mess.

Had he used his left leg to wrap around the front of Elliot and then came through from behind with the right then yes a scissor challenge in that instance. This, for me, wasn’t

1 Like

I mentioned scissors as a few here have seen other angles and said it was a scissors.

I get what you are saying about the technique being wrong for a tackle, ie that he should have went in with his left foot to tackle. I think he didn’t because of he did the ball would most likely have ricocheted anywhere whereas going with his right leg he could wrap his foot around the ball thus keeping possession.

Thats the key. Sometimes players are unlucky. They fall in an awkward manner, studs get caught, overly stretched at the same time etc

In this case 9 out of 10 times for me a player from this tackle comes away injured. Some may miss one game, others with a broken leg. This is therefore reckless.

Its all about the Leeds player going over the top of the ankle. Harvey was not unlucky, it was not chance, it was a poor tackle.

5 Likes

I think its simpler than that - his left leg is only for standing on.

As many on here will know I believe there are PL referees who are corrupt and some have a clear agenda against Liverpool FC. The more I watch the more entrenched my opinion is.
Pawson falls into a grey area. He is clearly fucking useless without appearing corrupt but it’s also fair to say his diabolical decision making more often than not affects us adversely. The Lovren/ DCL penalty incident a few years back, his horror-show in the West Brom FA Cup game at Anfield not long after VAR was introduced…like so many of these clowns we can point to very little going in our favour.
Today he set the tone early. Ignored what looked a clear foul on Salah which nearly resulted in a Leeds goal. Interesting that Sky didn’t show a replay from one of their 658 camera angles.
Then he booked Fabinho for fuck all. He then failed to show Cooper a 2nd yellow for a tackle far worse on Jota.
The tackle on Elliot was another example of the constant reckless tackles our opponents are allowed to subject our players to with impunity. It’s been open season for some time and it’s down to sheer luck more of them haven’t resulted in serious injury. There was a carbon-copy tackle on Mane minutes later that was totally ignored.
The absolute buffoon waved play on and only took action when forced to, much like Taylor against Chelsea but unlike Dean against Burnley whose gross negligence wasn’t highlighted by VAR.
4 games into the new season and the familiar pattern is already clear to see.

As for the game I thought our performance was exasperating. The gulf in class was stark but let’s be honest it should have been 9 or 10 and that’s no exaggeration. The usual ridiculous profligacy in front of goal and show-boating at 2-0 that could have cost us dear.
The injury to young Harvey came about as a result of more nonsense on the edge of our own box that should never have happened.

Salah and Fab our stand out performers and I thought Hendo played some great balls when he came on.
Leeds are dire and their fans are a shower of fucking morons. I hope they get relegated and never come back.

11 Likes

To help see that its a red card

followed by

Clear as day a red card for me

4 Likes