Post match: Leeds Utd v Liverpool (EPL 12/9/21 4.40pm)

Thiago was excellent yesterday

2 Likes

Probably not, I’d expect Henderson/Jones to pick up the minutes.

Isn’t he a striker?

I thought yesterday was his best game for us.

3 Likes

Agree with this. Economics 101, where there is an incentive and all that. This directive is meant to be there for players making the most of a slight contact, but is being reffed (as usual) in a “what way the wind is blowing”.

Case in point, Mo on several occasions uses skill or physicality to shrug off the Leeds right back, only to be then clipped. Ref waves play on, despite before the trip, Mo is being effectively man handled (which has already brought the Leeds defence an extra 2 seconds recovery time to position themselves). Fab makes one mistimed innocuous foul, then gets a yellow.

In other games, Mane gets pulled and chopped all over, but Sky never shows a replay of that; rather they will concentrate on the one or two times Sadio goes to ground too easy in 4k high def super slow mo replays from 3 angles.

The Norwich game where vertically challenged Pukki is jobbed with “marking” VVD at corners. Obvious that he never once looks a the ball, instead wrapping his arms around VVD.

Or the Burnley game, where every launched ball contested by Matip and VVD involves the Burnley goons leaving a straying elbow.

5 Likes

Intent doesn’t enter into it. There is no mention of the player’s intention in Rule 12 Fouls and Misconduct.

The rule asks was the player reckless and / or did he use excessive force.

• Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

In my opinion Struijk was both reckless and used excessive force.

10 Likes

Exactly. That’s why he didn’t give a shit about the red card when interviewer was goading him. That’s not the point. In every sport teams are looking for marginal gains, so if fouling is permitted then it’s going to happen…as Klopp has been saying for weeks

2 Likes

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

5 Likes

He’s a strange player to watch, he basically for the most part plays at walking pace yet is always still ahead of the game. It is so effortless for him it does sometimes come across as completely nonchalant, which can get punished in the Premiership as you don’t get a second.

I agree overall he’s not yet hit his capacity, but I think the signs were there yesterday and as he gets up to fitness I think he’s going to take the piss a little.

5 Likes

I gave Thiago man of the match, I thought he was excellent, maybe not in the first 20 minutes but then he bossed it.

2 Likes

How can Thiago be considered as having a shit game when he has an assist to the game yesterday?

1 Like

Agree with others, thought Thiago was excellent yesterday alongside Fabinho. Strangled Leeds and controlled the game.

1 Like

This comment is exactly why this forum is going backwards, far too much hyperbole bandid around…

Now Sweeting doesn’t need me to fight his battles, he’s a clever chap, but his original statement never once says “shit” or anything or the sort. He said he was disappointed in him and felt he was going through the motions since joining (not specifically yesterday)… In context a fair statement.

p.s. Thiago had a great game… No denying it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Every cloud :slight_smile:

Very pleased with the 3 points but truly gutted by Harvey’s injury he was showing such promise. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

1 Like

Just in case there are any lingering doubts, Struijk lunges in from behind; scissor tackle; both of his feet are off the ground which means he is out of control. Reckless, with excessive force.

At normal speed

and at one fifth:

8 Likes

If it gets recinded, I feel like packing football in. It’s going to carnage.

3 Likes

Ramos level of shithousery. The ‘intention’ to injure might not be there and always arguable, but difficult to argue that the player doesn’t know such tackles can cause serious career ending injury. Rules alone aren’t sufficient to stop these. Managers, media and pundits (who glorify these sort of tackles/ physical play) along with rules are needed to reduce such career ending tackles.

I don’t recollect in recent memory our player putting a career ending tackle so reckless and Klopp’s approach/ mentality definitely has some role in that.

4 Likes

I don’t think it is what he intended to do, but when you leave your feet for a tackle from behind, you have already ticked the reckless box, and you no longer have control over the force.

The only hope he had of making that a legal tackle was to use the left foot for the tackle, turning his body toward the camera view - and even that would have been extremely difficult not to get him in trouble.

6 Likes

I’m not quite sure what the defender was trying to accomplish with that tackle, but it was reckless and broke a man’s leg. should be some retroactive punishment from the FA involved in that. he left the ground and first contact was with the player, not the ball.