Post Match: Leicester v Liverpool (EPL 13/2/21 12.30pm)

Man of the match
  • Alisson BECKER
  • Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
  • Ozan KABAK
  • Jordan HENDERSON
  • Andrew ROBERTSON
  • Gini WIJNALDUM
  • James MILNER
  • Curtis JONES
  • Mohamed SALAH
  • Roberto FIRMINO
  • Sadio MANE
  • Thiago ALCANTARA
  • Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN
  • Xherdan SHAQIRI

0 voters

Unused subs: Adrian, Tsimikas, Shaqiri, R Williams, Phillips, Clarkson, N Phillips

:arrows_counterclockwise: 17’ Thiago ALCANTARA on, James MILNER off
:arrows_counterclockwise: 75’ Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN on, Curtis JONES off
:arrows_counterclockwise: 86’ Xherdan SHAQIRI on, Gini WIJNALDUM off

:soccer: 67’ Mohamed SALAH (asst Firmino)

Well, that was shite.

Two changes for the Tricky Reds today, following the debacle against HRA (Human Rights Abusers) FC at Anfield; the injured Fabinho and not fully fit Thiago being replaced by Ozan Kabak, making his Liverpool debut, and James Milner respectively. This was our 17th (count ‘em- 17!!!) starting central defensive partnership of this most bizarre of seasons.

With HRA FC disappearing over the horizon in the league (although I refuse to accept defeat until it is mathematically impossible for us to catch them), it was essential not to drop points to the team immediately above us in the table.

A lively opening; Soyuncu nearly headed into his own net from Robbo’s cross and, from the resulting Liverpool corner, Maddison attempted to lob Alisson from his own half, but the keeper got back comfortably. Vardy managed to escape Kabak’s attentions but lifted his snapshot onto the roof of the net.

Henderson then released Salah but the Egyptian could only poke harmlessly wide, under pressure from Pereira. Certain teams would probably have been awarded a penalty for the defender’s sly nudge in the back but Mo never gets those identical decisions his way. Shortly afterwards, Mané shot wide from Mo’s cross.

We hadn’t even reached the 20 minute mark when our injury jinx struck again, with Millie limping off to be replaced by Thiago. Jones was booked for nothing, then Bobby wasted a glorious chance from Henderson’s cross. Schmeichel made a quality save but Bobby should really have put it beyond the keeper’s reach; fortunately for the Brazilian, Henderson was offside in the buildup and the goal would probably have been disallowed anyway.

At the other end, Alisson did well to deny Albrighton (after Robertson’s gaffe) and Vardy, after Henderson failed to reach a Barnes cross. Robbo had a low drive deflected wide and then Vardy hit the crossbar after Kabak slipped and Maddison played him through.

As the players trudged off for their halftime oranges, it was a pretty even game with both sides having decent chances. The best chance was the late one Vardy spurned but the visitors had certainly created a few decent opportunities and it appeared likely that the second half would bring goals.

The opening of the second stanza was diametrically opposed to the first, with sloppy passing, haphazard movement and bewildering decision making from both sides. The first decent action came just before the hour, when Trent whipped a free kick against the angle of bar and post; it took a slight deflection, granted, but was still a decent effort.

And then, on 67 minutes, a rarity- a Liverpool goal from open play. Tielemans gave the ball away and Trent intercepted. Bobby played in Mo… 1-0 to the good guys.

Barnes then tried to wriggle past Trent on the edge of the box; after a VAR review, the original decision of a free kick, rather than a penalty, was confirmed and either Maddison or Amartey scored from it; after a lengthy review the goal stood. Seconds later, Alisson inexplicably came out when Kabak looked in total control of the situation and Vardy pounced. From 1-0 to 1-2 in a matter of two minutes.

Alisson then made a great save to partially redeem himself but he could do nothing to prevent Barnes from making it three minutes later, the forward finishing with aplomb from Ndidi’s pass with 85 minutes on the clock.

Many are quick to point out that our players’ heads drop when things go against them. Was that the case last season? Or the one before? Or at any point since Jürgen came in? We haven’t acquired the tag of “mentality monsters” for nothing but it really seems as though the entire squad, from the manager down, have given up now. They know that the refs will do everything they can to shaft them and are powerless to stop it.

Next up is a trip to the beautiful city of Budapest to face RB Leipzig at the Puskas Arena in the Champions League on Tuesday evening. The Germans have won three consecutive games in the Bundesliga and Dayot Upamecano, Tyler Adams, Marcel Sabitzer and Alexander Sorloth were rested in last night’s home defeat of Augsburg. It certainly won’t be an easy one.

MOTM: those good people at Brewdog in Ellon, Aberdeenshire. I know a lot of beer snobs who turn their noses up at Brewdog, saying they’re tacky and too commercial; all I care about is the quality of their beer and their Triple Hazy New England IPA is a stonker: fruity without being cloying and very well balanced. At 9.2%, it certainly packs a punch; so much so, in fact, that I’m now going to have a nice lie down. Laters.

10 Likes

Another game. Another fucking bent refereeing performance.

10 Likes

by monday night we could be seventh

Please start with Nat and get back to basics. .Make the back line solid… Push Hendo in the mid… Gini should have been substituted and not Jones…You could see Kabak running with heavy legs to catch Barnes there… Looks he isn’t fully fit… Feel sorry for Nat…

3 Likes

Disastrous result, but for most of the game, we were definitely the better team. Enforced changes destabilised us somewhat, and Leicester took advantage. Our efforts weren’t helped by the refereeing team however.

1 Like

I’m reminded of a tom petty song…free falling…and I don’t like it

6 Likes

The schadenfreund on other forums must be glorious

5 Likes

We were absolutely the better team until VAR stepped with a fucking mad one.

Two goals a direct result of officials. The last one is irrelevant.

12 Likes

Off to go have another joint after that.

4 Likes

at this point i would jus put hendo back in midfield and have the new boys figure it out at the back…we miss hendo in midfield… OX has no business being on the field. Jones coming off changed the game as we lost the midfield… leicester is really crap to be fair and thats why this one hurts

1 Like

Hopefully Kabak isnt fully fit… If that’s the pace he has got to offer as a fully fit 20 year old I would be worried. Why Klopp doesn’t start Nat is beyond me. This is getting ridiculous now.

3 Likes

Very poor performance. No way the team shouldn’t be winning today. Did not take the chances on offer and nor did they create enough either. That said the refereeing was atrocious. No penalty. Foul on Mane before their second goal. A number of questionable decisions. Need to do a lot better and fast.

1 Like

First hour we dominated, like the Anfield match. Even though we didn’t score as frequently as the prior match, we took the lead. Should be closing them out. Can try to blame VAR (and I don’t understand the decision), but Thiago’s foul (which was close to a penalty) starts that sequence. Alisson should be saving that anyway, offside or no. From there it’s the Alisson show again. That’s the match.

I’d love someone to show me what VAR sees for that first goal. It’s up there with the Everton game.

Anthony Taylor should not be refereeing Liverpool games. The club need to make sure of this.

10 Likes

How many times can we be fucked over? I know the defense and goalkeeper fucked up after that but it all started with Attwell and Taylor. fuck them.

8 Likes

Much like the Man City game.

Controlled the game in periods. Silly fouls given away. Mistakes galore. Midfield sub (ox in this game) coming in and the midfield then losing shape.

It was all so pretty at the time of the Bobby skill for the Mo well taken goal, and that now seems so long ago.

Kabak needs to get used to sweeper keeper style and be more aware. The disappointing thing for me is the scout reports are that he has pace, yet Barnes accelerated away from him.

Maybe any potential signing should have a 20 yard foot race against R Williams. Struggle there, and you know you’re in trouble.

Next game against the mega corporation club RB. Need to move on quickly and focus.

Save some for me. Actually I am getting my 2nd shot on Monday (technically work for a health care company and I’m not questioning it) and it is right down the road from the dispensary so you know where I’ll be going after. :smiley:

1 Like