Post Match: Leicester v Liverpool (EPL 13/2/21 12.30pm)

But even in all the gloom of this miserable moment, let us remember the Firmino-Salah goal with some romanticism. It was a moment of fantastic Liverpool offensive football from what is in danger of becoming the last two legendary seasons of myth.

As for the game, Leicester deserved to win in the end, they created too much and are too good when it comes to lethality when given many chances on counter attacks. But we played a very good game early on, the first 25 min of the game we suffocated them completely.
But given our current form, it ended up not being sustainable, and Leicester got out and started to create very dangerous chances. The chances we created in our time of dominance were however sadly too few in comparison.

But even so, part of this game was great to watch with Liverpool glasses on, But defeat was miserable in the end when Leicester just cut us to ribbons.

I am a bit glum now, thinking about our form and our chances of getting Champions League football next season.

1 Like

How the fuck VAR gave that goal I will never understand.

Kabak looked terrified all game and was then involved in the calamity that was their second goal.

Thiago was shite and should be under instructions not to tackle anyone in our half.

All in all , another thoroughly dispiriting performance. I could quite happily give football a miss until next September. It’s just too painful atm.

4 Likes

With all due respect I think you are making a show of yourself mate.
The standard of Reffing is poor, VAR is a shambles, but it is not why we have been loosing games so badly.
Surely the Bent Ref and VAR should have given the Peno? Why not?
Injuries to key players and a lack of quality in reserve is more of a factor.

4 Likes

To my mind he did little wrong.

I really want to see those VAR calls again. Why take over 2 minutes to judge something that was blatantly obvious confuses me and the second I want to see again.

I’m honestly numb after this one. If you’d have told me we’d lose 3-1 after the first half I’d have laughed in your face.

2 Likes

I’m not worried about Champions League yet. We’re fourth, and although we’re unlikely to be on Monday, we’re bang in this scrap. I keep seeing people saying top four is done. It fucking isn’t. Not with 14 games to play.

5 Likes

Gutted angry fuming pissed off etc

I am all of these things and it’s too early for a beer.
Fucking robbed.

2 Likes

3-1 looks like they hammered us when the reverse was true. Played OK believe it or not. Can’t take a fucking trick. Nothin goes your way when you get on a losing roll. I’m as mad as hell with VAR.

They all know now you just counter us.

2 Likes

Magnus I am very much in your camp — you previously said (today) that it is still mathematically possible but looks tough. I agree that it ain’t over 'til it’s over, but for the last few weeks I (and it sounds like maybe you) have gone “right, we’re gonna turn the corner today” only for us to fuck it up and get further away. You can only do that so many times until you’re too far away.

Irony is, we’re still probably more in contention (mathematically) than we would be with this points tally in another season. Still, you have to start not losing (er, winning) games at some point.

So if we analyse the game properly: We were poor.

But leading despite that.
Then we were done, by VAR and a bit of stupidity.

Quick note to those trying to wind people up in the in match thread
@richieh_10
@WeeJoe

Look at that VAR decision on Leicesters first goal and tell me fairness prevails? You were so busy being smart arses in the thread you didnt contemplate that people actually considering WHY these decisions are made could in fact be correct?

1 Like

Very little belief from our players. Far too wasteful from our forwards, and because we can’t ever count on a goal from a midfielder, that is what we will have to deal with. We were only 1 up on a lucky goal then fell to pieces.

Thiago is one of the most overrated footballers on the planet. When I read the cringey shit from Liverpool supporters online this summer I wondered if they’d actually ever watch Thiago play before coming to England. Not quite sure what they were expecting of him but what people thought they were getting was not at all who he is as a player. I have no idea why the club brought him here if this is how the coaching staff is deploying him. I’ve defended him long enough but I’m tired of making excuses. He’s reckless and an absolute square peg. “Unlock low block sides”. Right.

6 points behind Leicester.

2 Likes

Nat has never put a foot wrong. Keeps it simple. Makes up for lack of pace by using his head to cut out the first direct ball (which he did excellently against Son at Spurs).

The big worry is that we are losing focus after we let in a goal. Mistakes happen but we switched off for 5 minutes, and bang. Three goals down.

Fail to see what the Ox sub was meant to do. Disrupted the midfield. Ox not to blame for the goals, but seems after his injury three years ago, he is a ghost of a player.

6 Likes

Both he and Davies are panic buys.
They won’t be here next season.
We snoozed on The lipzieg CB and hes gone Bayern.

We were OK today. Not great but didn’t warrant a 3-1 scoreline.

The ref was a cunt. He let Barnes dive everywhere.

But there no excuse for alisson who had another massive brain fart out of nowhere. Until then he was ok. You cant blame anyone for that other than him.

What’s worrying is we conceded 1 and you knew a 2nd wasn’t far behind as the mentality monsters have checked out for the season.

3 Likes

That was a shocking decision on the equalizer and I fucking called it in the pre-match thread. The minute we went ahead, Taylor was looking to equalize. That goal was offside, VAR is bent. So are we using “any part of the shoelace” now?

Watching this team the last few months has been like watching a great fighter who is on the decline. Comes out to the ring with great promise and swagger, but cannot see out a result and is getting knocked down over and over again.

I don’t know how the fix this, other than a fire sale of 3-4 players in the summer and new blood brought in.

I cannot see Klopp leaving. But the inaction to replace Lovren and the late moves in the transfer market are pointing to bigger issues.

My one point would be a word… evolution. If Klopp doesn’t have a planB for how he is setting up the team on match days, we’re truly fucked

1 Like

The team is really fragile at the moment, any little mishap we have in defense it turns into a goal. Turning point for me was the second goal. Maybe it was language problem or something else, but Ali should’ve cleared it. Up until their lucky first goal we were on the front foot. I do think the quality in our Midfield is lacking, we have players that has the same traits and doesn’t offer anything different. Jones is a bright spot in CM, I think he should be given more chance.
The front 3 was ok today, although the first 30min their relentless pressing was impressive. Aside from that outrageous assist, Bobby couldn’t really link up the play in the middle of the park. Thiago didn’t offer anything today either, I think sometimes he does slow up our play, but his pin point passing should’ve offered more today.
Kabak nothing special, critical mistake along with Ali, it will get better just needs time. Hendo is the lynchpin of this team, but I think he’s better utilize in the No.6 role.
On a whole aside from those mistakes, we were the better team. 9/10 we would’ve seen it through.
Most of the difficult teams fixture are behind us, so if we can out together a few wins we’ll have some stability back and we will finish in the top 4.

YNWA

1 Like

He was, wasn’t he?

What was Robertson thinking when there was a so-called injury by letting the ball go? The Fairplay cup is not a price…

1 Like

For the second match in a run, we collapse after we make substitutions whilst on top or level.

But let’s also mention the refereeing. The non-awarding of a penalty to Salah in the first half that was no different to the one awarded to Brighton against us. Then there is the usual VAR late intervention to give a goal that would not be given if we were the team who scored it.

We’ve been done by the centre back situation and by Jota’s injury, but the refereeing we’re being subjected to is an utter disgrace.

Great call by a guy called Jim in Prescott on Radio Merseyside just now, calling this out.

2 Likes

Tried taking my mind off the game…baking…phone bingd for 1st goal…then shit hit the fan…and that my friends is how to make a grandma cry…yep had to sit outside for a good cry…wtf is happening…the euphoria of last season and now the complete collapse of this…these boys must be hitting rock bottom in the confidence ladder… Me I just need more tissues.

3 Likes

We played a lot better today until the equilizer. We seem to beat ourselves. Yes there were questionable calls from the officials and var, but we should be managing the game after we score.
The second goal created after Mane was clearly foul on the other end.
A big blunder from Allison again.

2 Likes

BLASPHEMY! ITS 5 O’CLOCK SOMEWHERE

1 Like

I have no clue why it was allowed. As soon as VAR gets involved with those silly fucking lines for offside it loses me.

But with the way VAR is (and I hate it) that goal was given, and whether you agree with it or not (and I 100% disagree with it) the shower of shit of “laws” that are applied at the moment then that goal was correctly awarded.

1 Like