Post Match: Lincoln v Liverpool [ELC 24/9/20 7.45pm]

Nice game to watch… Complete control apart from a dodgy 10 min spell in the 2nd half
But like @Werder4life and @mattyhurst said… There’s many a time we’ve watched our 2nd string struggle for any kind of fluidity in these types of games and they turn into hard viewing.
Not tonight though.
Familiar press, composure and some lovely finishing all washed down with a few cans of Guinness.
Very nice indeed!

3 Likes

flobs thinks this is too negative

1 Like

How did Tsimikas look? Presumably lazy as fuck?

1 Like

He lives in France,i’d be miserable as well.

5 Likes

I fucking HATE Paris, understandable.

2 Likes

Who took over the armband in the second half?

King Divock.

1 Like

Pretty good performances from ,with one exception ,probably second string players.
Taki,Jones and Shaq stood out for me.
Grujic,don’t know that I’d be in a hurry to unload him,maybe useful squad player for now.
Div,what do you say,anonymous for most the game then chimes in with a goal.
Not a winner like he has done,but a goal anyway.
Not convinced he did enough to impress any suitors though.

1 Like

Thought same as everyone else- Jones my MOTM, Minamino’s neverending energy, work-rate, and cleverness also on full display. Jones will be pushing for first team place even with endless number of CMs. Minamino looks capable of extended run in side with Salah and Mane on either side of him should the need ever arise, and I’d be comfortable with that (while still hoping Bobby makes it back from whatever purgatory I just created…)

Rhys had a decent debut, but will be disappointed in his role for one of their goals. He dove in and went to ground too soon, then had to get up and chase and couldn’t recover position before they scored. I think they actually got ball from the other Williams, but then Rhys compounded the issue by diving in. Overall was very composed on the ball, made some nice passes, and didn’t look like a 19 yr old CB making his debut, and besides the one instance he can learn from, did fairly well.

Williams (the RB) looked a bit shaky again in spots. Talent is there, hopefully he keeps his head up and works through the slight dip all young players seem to have from time to time.

Tsimikas did ok. Had some shaky touches on occasion when Lincoln managed to get near our box, but nothing dastardly. Almost turned it into our goal once, but just about dealt with the cross and put it past post for corner. Has a great cross in him at other end. On average, probably still want to see Milner if we need fill in LB against other top opposition, but showed some promise. Let’s give him a proper amount of time to bed in and get up to speed with us.

Elliott tried to get involved in game, but didn’t quite come off for him. He’ll have been bitterly disappointed he gave way for Jota after never really getting the bit between his teeth against opposition ready to roll over. Still- you could see effort to get involved- unlike Origi, speaking of which…

Origi kind of floated through game without really contributing or taking part in it. Had a nice header down for Jones on one of Jones’s goals, after beautiful long pass from Rhys, but Jones still did all the hard stuff by himself. Apologies for turning game off right before he scored the last one, didn’t see it. Not a confidence building display that he’s the one out of new attacking talent to be fourth choice (or fifth…)

Grujic was ok. Nice display, but didn’t have much to do. Decent job keeping the ball moving. Doesn’t seem like he has the yard of pace that might be needed against better opposition.

Shaqiri was really bright, I liked his overall contribution. Free kick was special. Maybe a bit lax defensively to play against top teams, but a nice tool to have on the bench against teams that park the bus if we keep him, and he can stay healthy. Popped up everywhere in first half looking to get on ball to make things happen.

Jota came into game after it was already done and most everyone was just going through the motions, not a lot to be gleaned from the display.

All that said… was a good display. Game fell apart in second half after we ran away and put game to bed in first half. A similar team in next round please.

4 Likes

Regarding young Elliott, the last few matches he’s over thinking his job (IMO) and nothing is coming off for him. His first senior matches with the club last year and how aggressive he was, it’s just not coming off the same for him now. By no means a critique, he’s still a boy, and he can absolutely play at this level. Will be interesting to watch his career progression over the next 3-4 years.

EDIT: MOTM I voted Taki, Jonesy, Big Shaqs.

DOUBLE EDIT: Rhys is bigger than I expected. With room and time to grow he has the frame to fill out to be a beast.

3 Likes

For those who, like me, didn’t see the game here are the goals. There are some real crackers here.

5 Likes

Also seeing reports that Neco had to deactivate or blackout his social media accounts due to egregious abuse from Liverpool “supporters”. That is simply appalling. Appalling and downright embarrassing. He is a teenage boy and a human being. What in the possible hell would there be to abuse him in such a way about?? Awful.

13 Likes

I feel that Big Div did not deserve the harsh criticisms he is getting in here…He contributed a lot to the game today:

1. LFC 2nd goal: He was pressing, blocked 2 outlets and rushed Lincoln defence to put in an errant pass, his presence behind the defence also let to the bad touch, which bounced the ball to Taki for a wonderful strike.
  2. LFC 3rd goal: He headed down a powerful cross field ball by Rhys gently into Curtis path, another cracker of a goal.
  3. LFC 6th goal: He was not directly involved in the goal, but during the build up in Lincoln’s box, he ran from left to right, drew away a defender, created more room for Taki, which indirectly created some room for Marko (yeah, I am stretching that a bit :grin: )
  4. LFC 7th goal: No descriptions needed. All he needed to do was ran, and ran, and made himself available for perfectly weighted pass by Taki.

Really, what more could you ask for from a forward?

12 Likes

That’s beyond a joke, considering the team just won 7-2, there might have been poorer performances (Can’t comment) but as I said previously It doesn’t matter when you blast a team away like we have.

The second goal isn’t his fault and I can’t see much fault on the first. I’ve watched enough early round games over the last 28 years to appreciate sticking on a score line that is what is expected is very difficult to do.

Those who criticise anyone of our lads who are our second string tonight are not fans, but if they get personal over a performance then they aren’t fans anyhow, chin up Neco I’ve heard people hope Henderson is injured so he doesn’t play on a match day bus to Liverpool.

I bet they don’t think that now.

8 Likes

It was a fun game to watch, really enjoyed it.

Some interesting things:

It’s great to see Curtis continues to push himself to improve. He is developing at a high rate, I didn’t expect him to become a legit midfield option this quickly, so that’s a great credit to him.

Great to see that type of finish from Minamino. there were so many great goals, so that feels a tad overlooked. Add that to everything else he brings to the table and you can see why he seems to have passed Origi in the first off the bench role behind Firmino.

At first I was disappointed to see Elliott come off then I figured Klopp would much rather have Jota get familiar with playing alongside Origi/Minamino than than Elliott.

Much like everyone else, I sure wish Shaq could stay healthy.

Liked what I saw from Rhys Williams, especially for a debut.

Found it interesting Grujic started and played the full 90. Is it possible Klopp wants to see if he’s worth keeping, particularly if Klopp can’t find the right CB to bring in and/or a quality offer doesn’t not come in for Grujic? Either way, I think he could help as a squad player but if he wants to play consistently like he did at Berlin, he’ll have to go. He’s a solid player, just not quite at the level to expect to start at Liverpool consistently.

Wouldn’t be surprised of Origi pushes to go. He’s kidding himself if he expects to play over Minamino (and likely Jota). He’s done great things for Liverpool, and I still think he can do a job when given an extended run in the side. But Minamino is now a better option and Klopp didn’t buy Jota for fun. He’s been a very good backup option these past few years but probably best for everyone to part ways now.

3 Likes

Didn’t get to see the goals until I got home (or, rather, I wanted to hit the J while I watched them). Can’t remember many games where seemingly every goal we score is a banger (bar Man City 4-3 at Anfield — Mane hit his better with his “weak” foot than most could with their “strong” foot)?

I certainly do.
Just checking what divsion Lincoln are in. Right, league one i mean they came out playing football finished being tired and a little shitty (not anything surprising their) however for that level they had some good technique and wanted to score, thought they were quite good and a good test for a ‘make shift’ LFC second string.
Grujic 1st half was very good and well disciplined. He surprised me that’s not who I remembered. He lost a bit of discipline second half which open up a new CB parnership that just didn’t have enough experience to keep us a ckean sheet without a DM doing his all to cover them.
Jones was fantastic my MOTM.
Shaquiri was a bundle of joy.
Minamino waa good and got my center of attention award.
Our wingers Origi ‘I can’t make any more effort’ and Elliot ‘I’m a bit slow’ who dissappointed a bit. However our new Full back just got stronger and stronger as the match went on. Neco (of whom I ask questions over his long term suitability as a top premier league ckub started quietly butthen decided to knucle down and showed some great technique so much so there winger got too frustrated with him and gave him a lower league smash (you have to deserve those you know getting a smash from an older bloke as he considers your taking the piss out of him).
A problem we had was when Fabhino came on, as I said before Grujic was partially responsable, Fabhino just isn’t a CB and hasn’t the experience to ‘carry’ the young lad beside him. Lincoln managed in my view to put enough pressure on them that the young lad lost his concentration and Fab didn’t know how to fix it. I noticed the young lad looking and responding to VVD all 1st half in the second half he just didn’t have the time or experience to follow whet Fab was doing and Fab wasn’t doing ‘normal’ CB stuff. Just too much for both of them (a Matip or a Gomez and i think there would have been zero goals for Lincoln.
Adrian I thought was fantastic you can not blame a goalkeeper for 2 goals whilst your defense is a useless mess.
2-7 is a fucking good result and runout for these lads and the opposition made it entertaining playing football and showing some decent technique for their level they also should be proud of their performance and for that I don’t begrudge them their 2 goals.

4 Likes

Something that says I want to be here. You know a little spark and graft.

Jones and Minamino stand out performers for me. Shaq was looking good as well. If our squad stay injury free, we have a nice variety of options to change the games when we are struggling. Adrian IMO was very nice with that multiple saves as well, a clean sheet would have been good.

Job done, on to two games against the gunners and I hope we win both.

3 Likes

Need to smash them