Post Match: Liverpool Man City (EPL 6/2/21 4.30pm)

Not a lot to say really. City were probably better but through some rough luck and uncharacteristic we gifted it to them.

To be honest I’m more concerned about how we pick ourselves up from this. We need to and in a hurry but that’s a massive task in itself.

While Henderson and Fabinho have been magnificent at the back you certainly lose something in midfield and without doing them a disservice a little something at the back. And that’s how games are lost, such fine margins.

I still can’t get over how much we just kept backing away and allowed Man City players to just run in to the box. Should at the very least show them onto the weaker foot. Slow them down a little.

Andy has played way too many games, and through injury as well. Why on earth Tsimiakas didn’t even get on in the FA cup game.

And what was with Alison’s outside of boot passes? After the two mistakes, he did another outside of boot pass again.

4 Likes

After that Sheffield and Fulham, they will park a double-decker bus, well we know what happens then. :shushing_face:

1 Like

I honestly didnt expect to take anything from this game, given the way we have been playing lately,

but MO’s goal, gave me a bit of hope,

Then Allison fucks up

Then Allison fucks up

Game over, and Foden goal was the icing in the cake for them.

what pisses me of most of all though, is the lack of emotion when we concede,
the players just seem to accept it, no anger, no fight, just emotionless blank faces,
almost like they expect to concede.

another thing that i noticed was a lot of passes are made without conviction,
the passes seem to be short or slow, are we playing with a medicine ball?

Im now under the impression that we are watching this team slowly die

7 Likes

Ali’s mistakes aside, yet another match where the front 3 are empty kits. Mane displayed the most energy and desire but zero touch. Bobby and Mo, nothing. They make it almost impossible for our midfield to do anything at times, which is already lacking in creativity as it is. Ali will get most of the heat, but whatever the Boss is asking that front 3 to do, it’s not working. And there’s just no legitimate depth without Jota. The drop in quality is significant.

Not saying we need “world class” as backup, but there is a massive drop off in the quality of depth for the front 3.

3 Likes

FSG aren’t forcing Klopp to keep playing Bobby when he is probably hitting 2 out of 10 for performance week in week out and is an utter liability.

FSG didn’t force Klopp to play Milner with a tight hamstring ahead of Jones v’s Brighton, who changed the game v’s West Ham and was our best player today.

FSG get so much stick when the blame for this run (which started way before the transfer window btw) is at the players, the coaching staff and the managers door.

If I read one more time about how hard fucking done they are because they have no fans… They can fuck off… Try living in the real world where loved ones are dying, people are losing their jobs and livelihoods. They live a charmed life… If you can’t motivate yourself to perform at 110% levels for the liverbird… They can fuck right off.

8 Likes

I was screaming and cursing when Ali gave up the 3rd goal, on top of the screaming and cursing from him giving up the 2nd goal. I then decided to step away from the match to make lunch, cursing a bit more when describing the meltdown in that few minutes. Afterwards, a full stomach calmed me down.

I thought that we did relatively well until Ali’s melt down. I was surprised by the double sub. Thiago getting sub’bed was expected, but Curtis got sub’bed was extremely surprising. His pace and energy was excellent today, and the highlight was the ran back to prevent a clear break from City after they blew past TAA.

I have pretty much forgotten about the match. As far as I can remember, I can only pick 1 player from our side that was truely outstanding: Curtis Jones. He got my MotM pick.

Move onto the next match!

And FFS, STOP, please STOP, picking our boys in the TAN footy game - Last Man Standing. You just bloody jinx us.

2 Likes

I’ve read some shite but this is amazing.

No, we absolutely were not. The scores may have been level but we were being outplayed in general. We were never really looking like scoring until the mistake from Dias while they looked dangerous and willing to take on players everytime they got the ball to their forward players. That’s not to say we were being cut apart but they easily had the balance of play at both ends of the pitch. Saying we were absolutely fine is papering over the cracks and I would be absolutely livid if that is the view of our coaching staff and players. That view will just have us going ‘bad luck’ when it’s not. It’s 6 weeks of almost exactly the same lack of purpose or energy and a complete lack of ideas which, since we can’t score, means that a single goal means even a point is an uphill and unlikely with two goals against pretty much being the death knell.

It’s pointless being blasé about this anymore. Something certainly has to change as this really feels like the bitter nadir of what has been coming for weeks now. Individual errors lost us this game in isolation, yes, but a collective malaise over the past 6 weeks has lost us our standing and that malaise was in evidence in spades again today which culminated in those errors and exacerbated it rather than being a once off that we can overlook.

We show no urgency all the way up and down the pitch. It seems as if we are afraid of playing and everytime we get the ball we seem to want to play the safe option with no risk and with that mentality it’s no wonder that, apart from crosses, we’re seeing very few progressive and high risk pass attempts and virtually no take ons. The majority of our moves come to the 18 yard area and then don’t actually break down but get passed back willingly to start the same turgid procession over and over again. The only zip in any of our passing comes when we pass it from the opposition’s 18 yard line to the halfway. It’s moving at close to light speed then…

Crazy mistakes for the goals but that’s also indicative of what we’re trying to do but break it down to how we then actually play it makes it pointless to have Alisson play that way. We play it out, draw the players in to create space up front, beat the press and we’re on the move and Bob’s your uncle. Except, we’re not. We’re faffing around at the back, then get it going and in space only to inexplicably pass the ball around like snails again. It’s fucking ridiculous and anyone rubbing their chin and saying we are this and we are that and we won that is having a laugh and pretending we don’t have issues. Playing this way is a sure way to lose whatever we’ve won, guaranfuckingteed. I’d like to see Wijnaldums pass map for a start, a crab moves forward more than him. Fuck me.

Bit of a rant but I reckon it’s a rollicking these need rather than a mollycoddling. There is no excuse not to turn into space when it’s there, no excuse not to play the ball when it’s on and no excuse not to take the man on when he’s isolated. The players we have can do it and they need to be reminded they can and that what they’re serving up is not good enough and certainly not absolutely fine.

7 Likes

but who does he play though… the players that are supposed to be in those roles are playing in unfamiliar ones because of injuries… we could go on all day about klopps team selections, but jones blows hot and cold and needs to be managed properly. so klopp has his reasons for starting milly…

unless you are sayin its klopps fault??

Sorry but I don’t agree, Klopp for me got his subs wrong and also the starting eleven would have played Hendo in midfield.

Yes we all know Ali costs us, but still Klopp’s subs were puzzling.

2 Likes

jus read, your previous posts and you will all be caught up

I haven’t got the energy to be honest.

1 Like

its been a long season for all of us!

1 Like

Shame about Alisson errors, we had played well up to that point. The result looks like we got played off the park… great day to be a troll.

I dunno, Taki who scored twice v’s Palace, never seen again then scores 30mins into his 1st start for Southampton? I’m sure there will be some proper technical reason but we smashed Palace 7-0 and Taki was a huge part of that performance. Yet never seen again. One in a long list of baffling decisions made.

Klopp has his favourites, as all managers do but his blind faith in Bobby is pretty much the root of all our attacking problems… When he does perform we perform, but thats 1 game in 10. How many times did he lose the ball today? How many times did he pass it to either City or straight out for a throw? It was at least 4 times in the first half alone. He needs droppping for a period until he proves he hasn’t retired early as that is what it’s like watching him. He walks around the pitch.

Jones bar the mistake leading to the goal several weeks ago has been our best midfielder when Henderson is out. He should be starting every week. I’d be starting him ahead of Thiago based on performances.

4 Likes

Its now 9 points from 10 games when does Klopp have to start taking some of the blame. The question is he making most of the sum 9f his parts and currently you have to say no.

1 Like

We mark space rather than a man, compare to City where Zinchenko and Cancelo marked Mo and Sadio respectively. We then have to move out to the player and if the attacker is positive, in attacking the player with the ball, he will be in the ascendancy

I guess if we’re gonna have a shite year, best have it when there’s no fans. Even if we didn’t get the trophy with fans, we got the trophy after a year of mans (mostly) in the stadium, and given that some of us didn’t think we’d have any trophy it’s better than nothing. As Klopp said “you make the best of what you get.” That said, can’t wait for fans to be back in the ground, we need it.

1 Like

yes but let’s not jump to silly conclusions either.