Post Match: Liverpool v Ajax (UCL 1/12/20 8pm)

We played it exactly right. Just sat off them. Didn’t expend any unnecessary energy pressing too hard then picked them off on the break. Had Jota, Salah and Mane been in any kind of form tonight it would have been a rout.

Kelleher is a hero and Jones turned in another mature performance but I’m made up for Neco Williams. He’s had such a rough time but he’s got guts and showed he can play tonight. I also enjoyed Bobby’s little cameo. And Gini Wijnaldum is simply not human. Still surging upfield in the 95th minute for what seems like his 15th consecutive game in about 20 days. Incredible.

Best moment was at the end with JK running on to the pitch to hug Kelleher. First time I’ve seen him smile for weeks.

21 Likes

respect to Gini… how many games is that now he has played this season?

13 Likes

I have to quote Bruce Forsyth, " didn’t they do well" considering out team are at critically depleted levels. What a save by Kelleher against a prestigious Ajax team.

If we drew and Atalanta draw, could we have still gotten to the last 16?

9 Likes

Well that really couldn’t have gone better, could it?

We won. We’re through. We have a dead rubber next week.

MotM Kelleher. Spotless performance and I actually felt confident with him there. Nods to Jones for the goal and Hendo for shouting at people in Mackum.

Also a stunning game to watch but that might be the new telly.

4 Likes

The save. Kelleher on Huntelaar. Absolutely sensational.

And Curtis was everywhere. Hit the post, bossing midfield, and the concentration to stay focused on the ball to knock it in after Onana let it go. Amazing.

MOTM
Kelleher
Curtis
Matip/Gini

7 Likes

I do have to admit that i found the ref rather fucking annoying,better than EPL referees but that means fuck all.

12 Likes

Academy players getting the job done for us.
Brilliant to top the group.
Now we can rest our next game.

2 Likes

A nice respite for two weeks now. Five days until Wolves, then a clear week until Fulham, as long as Klopp rests everyone for Midgyland.

If I were Klopp, I wouldn’t even turn up for that one. Make it a proper U23 game and let Inglethorpe take the lads out there. If BT complain they can stick it up their bollix.

9 Likes

He wasn’t brilliant so that’s not fair. He was decent and at times good! It was enough for this match. :wink:

2 Likes

Shout out to Jordan Fcking Henderson. He was throughout the game leading the entire team, making himself available, especially for young Neco, shouting when to return the passes to him, even got past couple of times with brilliant skills and created a few chances, whilst ensuring the back 4 are protected. The young guns will get the credit tonight and rightfully so, but Hendo was in beast mode tonight.

17 Likes

Ever wondered why he is never present during the game :wink:

2 Likes

Yep. Think even Atalanta win and us drawing would have had us through.

4 Likes

How bad is the Dutch league that this lot are winning 13-0, 5-0 etc every week?

6 Likes

For Kelleher it’s more than that save, he makes a few saves but with his feet he was so much better than Adrian, he also grew in confidence to come for things.

Yes he isn’t Alison but if he doesn’t play now going forward I’ll be angry he is far better based on that game than Adrian.

9 Likes

Errr… :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t you rate our 1st choice keeper? :confused:

1 Like

Yup. The only thing that would have been open is whether we would top the group.

1 Like

You’re missing the point. The guy just passes sideways, don’t ya know. A man down already when he plays. Bench him for the flavour of the week.

4 Likes

I do but he isn’t available… Adrian is third choice after that.

Sorry.

3 Likes

@Neukölln I told you to relax because I wasn’t going to be able to watch. Plus, as you know, I was perfectly calm.

At some point you will all start paying attention to me.

Now I have to go read @cynicaloldgit’s review which unfortunately is the closest thing to watching a replay that will never be available in a country which has youth that loves footie. But that’s for another day.

10 Likes