Post match: Liverpool v Ajax (UCL 13/9/22 8.00pm)

More bods back from injury :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Joel Matipā€™s voice, Oh my god. Marry me.

Hopefully that goal gives the lads the belief that we can find a way to score and winā€¦ really felt like we had forgotten how to dig deep and win, such a huge goal.

2 Likes

absolutely over the moon with the 3 points, but did we reinvent ourselves not sure, the last 30 min chaotic and Ajax could have scored, Nunez did ok but still he is too eager and needs to cool slow down a second and am sure he will score plenty. defensively at times we play like armatures and mostly because we try to win ball but no cover or press on the second ball. I LOVE ELLIOTT but klopp needs to reinvent his position

1 Like

I think Diaz is going to be special, I hope he can stay healthy because heā€™s just soooo good to watch.

Nunez fails to impress, not having the impact weā€™d expect from such an expensive signing.

the right side was stagnant and porous. thereā€™s a lot of money tied up between RW and RB and if those two guys donā€™t sync up with Elliott soon weā€™re going to need to find a solution.

whatā€™s Melo gotta do to get a few minutes in?

2 Likes

Matip, Kostas and of course Thiago are my picks.

Well well well, we needed that. Very important result, good response boys

4 Likes
1 Like

The better team won. A pity as we could and should have scored more.
We should be getting stronger from now on.

Some observations:

1. (obviously) weā€™re still far from our best. We showed flashes of what weā€™re capable of going forward, but Mo definitely looks like heā€™s having issues beating the first man off the dribble so far this season.
  2. Having said that, weā€™re closer to our usual standards going forward, than at the back. Iā€™m VvDā€™s biggest fan, but sad to say this year heā€™s not been the same player at all. Hopefully the enforced break will be a ā€˜resetā€™ that allows our defence to recapture its form.
  3. Darwin Nunez looks, technically and physically, like the real thing. But he looks ā€˜restrainedā€™ when he plays, like heā€™s living up to some serious expectations (which he is, mind you). We need him unleashed and playing in full flow. Only then, will we see his true powers!
  4. Our offense doesnā€™t seem to take advantage of Darwinā€™s physical prowess. Right now he looks more dangerous with the ball at his feet, rather than as a target man. And if thatā€™s the case, we could probably have gotten a better dribbler guy (in the Mo/Diaz vein) than him - though heā€™s no slouch. I think his value comes more as a pure center forward type of striker. Maybe heā€™ll adapt to the team, maybe Kloppo will adapt our tactics to him - only time will tell.
  5. Harvey Elliott has been great - on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately with him in the team, the defense lacks the shielding that has been provided in the past by Hendo, Gini, Fabā€¦ Today we had Thiago and Fab, but the downside of playing Elliott defensively is pretty clear. Iā€™m his biggest fanā€¦ but I donā€™t think today Harv provides enough of an upside offensively to offset his defensive liability. Donā€™t flame me for saying thisā€¦ as I sayā€¦ Iā€™m his biggest fan (I even have a jersey with his 67 on it!)

Iā€™ll take the 3 points but we still have huge room to improve. YNWA!

7 Likes

u have been MIA @Always_Tomorrow

Thank fuck for that. It was the first time this season we actually looked like us. Thiago takes this team to a different level. Fabinho suddenly looks a much better player now heā€™s playing alongside him again. Matip was magnificent.

A really good team performance with the usual vulnerability down the right hand side costing us but I couldnā€™t believe we werenā€™t going to win that. Getting a late winner feels massive. Any other result tonight would have been a travesty.

8 Likes

Did I hear Rachel Brown-Finnis on bt saying that Trent is Liverpoolā€™s fastest player? :thinking:

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

10 Likes

She said there was something that proved so, yes.

Hard to believe, I know.

So this team that almost won the quadruple a few weeks ago is not a bunch of retiree con artists?

This performance and result make me feel better about not playing again for 98 days while we face 40 days of mourning for some lady from one of those mythology books.

Good.

3 Likes

Kostas Tsimikas created 5 chances tonight, assisting Joel Matipā€™s winner. Itā€™s the most heā€™s created in a single match for Liverpool. Heā€™s averaging an assist every 74 mins this season, and every 240 mins in his Liverpool career.

13 Likes

And not just his creativity. Thought he defended really well too. Deserves to keep his place for next game on 1st October!

8 Likes

9 Likes

Looking at the MotM vote my first thought was that everyone looked better. Thatā€™s a good thing. However Thiago, Matip and Tsimikas coming in all made a huge impact so I gave them the votes. But there were quite a few notables. Salah looked his sharpest for a while and Diaz looked lively.

Thereā€™s things to be worked on but the break over the next couple of weeks gives us time to work on it.

9 Likes

The other reason (other than the 3 points) that this win is massive is that if we end up in 2nd (or 1st) place tied with Ajax (and we donā€™t lose away to Ajax) weā€™ll be ahead of them (regardless of our GD).

Now letā€™s get the 6 points from Rangers, while hopefully Ajax and Napoli end up with 2 draws (or 2 wins for Napoli will also do).

1 Like