Post Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 28/9/20 8pm)

• Alisson BECKER
  • Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
  • Joe GOMEZ
  • Virgil VAN DIJK
  • Andrew ROBERTSON
  • FABINHO
  • Gini WIJNALDUM
  • Naby KEITA
  • Sadio MANE
  • Mohammed SALAH
  • Roberto FIRMINO
  • James MILNER
  • Diogo JOTA
  • Takumi MINAMINO

0 voters

Unused Subs: Adrian, Jones, Origi, Williams.

GOAL: Sadio MANE 28’
GOAL: Andrew ROBERTSON 34’
GOAL: Diogo JOTA 88’

SUB: Milner on, Keita off 80’
SUB: Jota on, Mane off 80’
SUB: Minamino on, Firmino off 90’

1 Like

Never in doubt.

One of the highlights of my season- my sister, her husband and many of my friends are all Gooners- is our annual demolition of Arsenal at Anfield and, with the return of Gomez and Alisson getting a late clean bill of health, we were pretty much at full strength for tonight’s visit of Mikel Arteta’s revitalised troops.

A first half which was all one-way traffic, with Salah (from Robertson’s corner), Mané (either side of Leno and it would have been in), Trent (deflected onto the bar off Bellerin) and Wijnaldum (err… just a poor finish) all spurning presentable chances, was suddenly given s rather different complexion when Arsenal took the lead. Poor cross, poor clearance and a poor finish, but Lacazette’s scuffed effort bobbled over the line to give the visitors the lead with their first attack of any sort, let alone of note.

Undeterred, the Tricky Reds came straight back at them and the visiting boss can’t be happy that his men failed to hold onto their lead for more than two minutes. Salad’s shot from the right hand side of the box was only parried by Leno, straight into the path of Mané, who could only miss if he had been possessed at that moment by Raheem Sterling.

Our Senegalese forward may have been a lucky boy to still be in the pitch, it must be noted, as he might have seen a red card on another day for a shoving Tierney in the face in the opening two minutes. A needless and silly action; hopefully we’ll see a lot less of that after Jürgen reads him the riot act.

Robbo soon put us in front, controlling with his chest and then prodding the ball past Leno after Trent’s fiendish cross had grazed off the head of the hapless Bellerin. David Lulz then tried to release Maitland-Niles but the latter’s first touch let him down; he would probably have been given offside had he scored, anyway.

The teams departed for their halftime oranges separated by just the one goal, although it’s difficult to know just how, given the yawning chasm in class between the two sides.

Soon after the restart, Baby released Mané with a lovely pass with the outside of the foot but Sadio could only blaze over when he might have been expected to steer the ball into the far bottom corner. Salah had a shot blocked by Tierney, Virgil had a dipping drive punched away by Leno and Mané spurned a couple more chances as the home side looked to put the game to bed, while at the other end Lacazette was twice thwarted by Alisson, who narrowed the angle on the first chance and stayed outlasted the striker in a game of chicken for the second and taking the Frenchman’s strike on his chest.

The fact that took 77 minutes for the visitors to register their first corner of the match gives some indication of just how one-sided the game had been, yet there remained that slimmest of leads for the dominant Reds. Fortunately, Diogo Jota came off the bench to wrap things up with a volley into the corner after David Lulz’s headed clearance fell to him on the edge of the box. Possible handball? Sweet- the fewm on Bluemoon tonight will be quite delicious.

So three points in the bag and 3/3 in the league so far. No doubt it’ll be a much changed Liverpool XI when these two teams meet again in the Carabao Cup on Thursday evening but I’d be expecting a similar scoreline.

MOTM: me. With ‘er indoors feeling under the weather, I decided to make a chicken, spinach and chickpea curry to help combat her sniffles. By adding not one but two Carolina Reapers, it was far too hot for her and she had to eat loads of yoghurt to soothe her palate.

Which left more wine for me. :wink:

30 Likes

Absolutely twatted them.

16 Likes

WE WIN when it Fcking MATTERS!!

11 Likes

How did you write that in 30 seconds? :rofl:

12 Likes

Jota be happy with that,above the bitters as well.

22 Likes

Scoreline looks very kind to them, we were on top in every aspect of the game.

20 Likes

I really liked that match. A very strong performance all around , besides Robbo pulling his pants down briefly!

I marveled at the physicality of the front three , our midfield being total bullies today but with great skill on passing long and short. , great combinations and a fortunately considerably stonger defensive performance than we’ve seen lately!

Motm: Naby , Sadio and Diogo bonito Jota for good measure*

*can we get Luiz into the MOTM vote for assisting Diogo’s goal?

5 Likes

Happy days.

Good performance. Lovely cameo from Jota

5 Likes

We dominated from start to finish 22 shots to their 4. Liverpool at their best onwards and upwards.

7 Likes

the good joe gomez is back

easy work

12 Likes

Should have been more that 3-1. We bullied them all over the park. Arsenal have improved, and are CL contenders. And they couldn’t get anywhere near us.

Anything other than a comfortable victory would have been a travesty.

17 Likes

Essay in on time.

2 Likes

And now you’re gonna believe us …

4 Likes

Arsenal finding out the hard way what anfield is…again

3 Likes

That was pretty great.

An unbelievable performance, Arsenal can count themselves lucky that it was only 3-1. If there was ever any doubt that this team would turn up this season it’s been squashed now. Leeds, Chelsea and Arsenal…9 points. What a start.

You really can’t say enough good things about Mane. The most consistently dangerous player in the league. An absolute force of nature and a nightmare for the opposition.

Salah and Bobby had some good moments and worked hard but not quite at Mane’s level.

The midfield was excellent. Fab back to his best, Gini keeping it simple and Keita putting Arsenal under a lot of pressure all the time.

Gomez back to his best at the back. Robbo’s mistake was poor but both full backs had excellent games otherwise, Trent’s crossing was superb. Virgil never looked in trouble for a second.

Alisson was excellent. Looked a bit silly with their goal but I’d rather a goalkeeper proactively try and save that than let it go in. Lacazette was lucky to score that.

Most pleasing things for me are the return to form for Fabinho (in midfield) and Gomez at the back. Great debut for Jota.

Too early to sing it yet, but I reckon we’re gonna…

24 Likes

A piece of piss.

4 Likes

How do you pick a MOTM out of that. So many impressive performances.Well in control for almost all of the game. Thiago has done his job already by inspiring Keita and Wijnaldum to step things up :slight_smile: Nice to see a goal for Jota as well.

6 Likes

Utterly dominant!! …YNWA

1 Like