Post match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (EPL 20/5/23 3pm)

There is a definite bias against LFC from the officials… How do I know that… I have watched football for over 50yrs and I know instinctively when we are being ‘done up like a kipper’… Another way to look at this IMO, would be for LFC to employ, in a similar fashion to the throw-in coach, a well respected ex-referee to adjudicate on our behalf after every game… someone like Pierluigi Collina - just the one season would suffice - Lets see egotistical Howard Webb and the Tierney’s of the world argue against one of their own…
They would crap their pants every time they had to visit Anfield… Knowing full well the headmaster that can school them in the art of football rules, will be writing their report card…
Their attitude towards us would probably change overnight, which would mean, we would an honest chance to win the PL again

5 Likes

Wow! Mental gymnastics at play here.

2 Likes

Oh my days, he did but not to say that they are as equally serious issues. It’s called an example to illustrate a point. The world has gone mad.

3 Likes

You’re making yourself sound a bit of an ass. You don’t agree, that’s fine. Show some manners.

1 Like

FUCKING LOL

I concede to your carefully constructed and through counter argument

2 Likes

But then, you give this explanation as to why Mo is an outlier with regards to getting free kicks etc.

I didn’t think I needed a carefully constructed, crafted reply to be honest. I mean it’s true mostly. He is good playing in tight spaces.

But the most logical explanation for me is, pure and simple bias. I don’t know if it bias cos he’s foreign, plays for LFC, darker in complexion of a combination of all those things.

1 Like

It makes no sense, the excuses why Mo gets so few fouls against him.

He stays on his feet, refs are not invlined to award a free.
He goes down, he is called a diver…

As @1972 says…the answer is simple. There is a bias against him for whatever reason.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/JamesMilner/status/1661805409135460380?t=o9pqXa3md7UUsM-zVcpYwQ&s=19

just after the villa game Milner received this… Brilliant

4 Likes

Bruno pushed linesman. No problem.

• Pep pushed linesman. No problem.

• Linesman elbows Robbo. No problem.

• Klopp celebrates in front of the linesman. That man is a danger to humanity & should never see the sun again.

Yeah, I guess that’s pretty fair from @FA_PGMOL

7 Likes

You think it requires mental gymnastics to go from warning against drawing conclusions on data where the measured outcomes are rare to then making an observation about something else, describing what I see with my eyes? That second comment simply says that anytime we complain about Mo not getting a foul when he’s being manhandled, I think think this bias from refs on how they view forwards initiating contact is often a factor. It isnt an argument about statistics.

What I described is a form of bias.

1 Like

Its a convenient explanation, Mo initiating contact means fouls on him are not given. But somehow it doesn’t seem plausible.

The reality is, even if that was the only bias against by referees, that he would still get more free kicks.

Costa had a robust manner at Chelsea, and he got a huge amount of frees by comparison.
He gets kicked and manhandled a lot more than Grealish or Rashford, but the difference in result is so stark that it is unexplainable.

There is a concious decision not to award him free kicks. Why? I am unsure.
But as Suarez got identified by Ferguson as a diver, and got into refs heads…so the narrative has grown against Mo.

The Mane vs Salah thing was amplified by SKY into a story that in reality didnt exist. In an attempt to alienate Mo from Liverpool fans? They called a player in the top tier of assist makers selfish!

There is an agenda against him.

3 Likes

Yes, but he also dived a lot more than Salah does, or exaggerated the contact.

There is no doubt a bias against him, but to suggest that it’s a massive conspiracy involving Sky, the Premier League, the PGMOL, the FA? That’s the part that is going to take a lot more evidence.

Where was that even suggested?
Its a cheap effort at arguing to paraphrase like this.

Perhaps I’m just misinterpreting your point, but that’s the way it sounds.

1 Like

Always find it funny when people trot out the old argument about other clubs’ fans claiming they are shafted on as regular a basis as we are. Especially when they use the 2 Manchester clubs as examples. That’s when I stop reading and ponder for a few moments on the absolute absurdity of Man U and City fans making the claim. And anyone responding by saying “well they say the same about us” should consider for a minute the numerous clearly offside goals Utd are awarded, the abnormal amount of penalties they’ve been given despite being shite for several years (and let’s not forget the one they were given after the final whistle at Brighton!), the number of times Rodri can commit yellow card offenses without being sent off, nobody being able to go within 3 feet of Grealish without being penalised etc…there really is no comparison to be made.
Now I’m sure fans of the 2 manc clubs can point at some decisions that went against them but the difference is in the disparity that we suffer compared to them. Where does it even itself up? It just doesn’t.
Where are the examples of clearly wrong decisions that have helped us win a pot? Where is the Sterling goal at City in 2013 that went our way? Where is the Eto’o red card offence on Hendo a few days later that cost us another 3 points? The non-penalty for a foul on Suarez in the same game that Webb had a clear view of? Where is the Kompany foul on Salah that ultimately cost us the title in 2019? The non-pen for the foul on Keita against Leicester? Where is the absurd non-pen for the hand-ball at Goodison last season? Where is the non-pen for the foul on Jota at Spurs? The Kane non-red card?
All these incidents went against us and cost us titles. But the best the apologists can come up with is “well, Milner was lucky not to get a second yellow against City 2 years ago”.
The disparity is massive, I genuinely can’t think of a big incident in a game we’ve won where I’ve thought “fucking hell we got away with one there”. And don’t give me the Jota high foot bullshit, no intent at all and an opponent ducking into the challenge.
Tell me the last time Taylor went to the monitor and changed a decision he’d originally given in our favour? He hasn’t, but I can give any number of instances where he’s had to change a decision he gave against us. Anyone remember another incident where the ref blows up early with the attacker clean through on goal? A referee playing on after the ball has been cleared out the box when the added time has finished (Atkinson against Leicester, same game as the Keita non penalty)?
None of it adds up.

11 Likes

You are misinterpreting my point.

You make more sense than most on this issue.

I honestly would love to have your recall when points are being made in an attempt to equalise the decisions vs Liverpool.

This seasons decisions don’t mean so much as the team has played poorly.
But part of the reason for the drop in form may be attributed to the fact that they were shafted on a few occasions when City won titles.

It must be difficult to race against the Ben Johnsons or Lance Armstrongs knowing that they are cheating to win.

The usual conspiracy theorist garbage doesn’t negate the truth.
And as you pointed out up above, people are starting to wise up a bit now.

6 Likes

You go on the fan forum of another club and you’ll find someone there who thinks it’s laughable that fans of other clubs think they are shafted more than they are, especially Liverpool fans.

They’ll also have a list of all the times things have gone against them or benefitted opponents or rivals.

And they’ll also reckon every other fan base is wrong to think it happens to their club when it really only happens to them.

But we all know it’s actually only us that are wronged. Our opinion is more valid than theirs. Our list proves more than theirs.

4 Likes

Every other fan group sings songs about:
Always the victims, Liverpool slums, sign on etc. That’s a good reason why I don’t take their opinions into acount.

We do sing Manchester is full of S#*t but that is actually true.

2 Likes