Post match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (EPL 20/5/23 3pm)

I mean that comment might be relevant to a discussion on here somewhere but it has no relevance to this one.

Well in your opinion of course.

I mean your asking me to consider other fan bases opinions and take them seriously. The fans that travel to away games are the basic core group. These are the ones that chant these songs. So I find it hard to take their we’re shafted by refs more than anyone else seriously.

Of course every team gets some bad decisions in a season. But not season after season on such a scale.

Of course that’s only my irrelevant opinion. You are of course free to accept what other fan groups say. I just don’t think I’ve seen any data they’ve provided such as the data on Salah for example. I might be wrong though.

1 Like

Yes, let’s discount the opinions of fan bases that chant grim stuff. They aren’t to be taken seriously are they.

It’s all unforgivable. All of it. Every opposition fan, every fan of ours. Any one singing this stuff is an embarrassment. But it has zero to do with the subject we’re talking about.

Give me some recent examples of us winning games/trophies where we’ve clearly benefitted from inexplicable decisions like the Rodri(?) handball, ‘tolerance’ being applied to clearly offside goals, penalties awarded after the final whistle etc.

3 Likes

Linesman flags for offside but VAR hasn’t got a proper angle to overrule.

Jota kicks a bloke in the face, doesn’t get sent off, scores the winner.

Trent with a pretty contentious handball in the lead up to the goal against Leeds.

And this classic against our closest rivals and the we immediately go down the other end and score.

That’s off the top of my head.

The Jota one is useless, as the Spurs player should have been off.
Haaland has the same foul earlier in the seaon, Mings has the same foul vs Liverpool and there is no shouting about them. Except for Liverpool supporters who know Mings should get red.

Any if those others lead to winning or losing a league title?

1 Like

That isn’t how football works chief.

And if you think Mings should be a red then how could you argue Jota’s shouldn’t?

And whether it costs us a league title or not is immaterial and a distraction to the actual discussion.

That ‘classic’ against City in which Bernardo handballed it about 1 second earlier.

Big favour that one.

7 Likes

Right, but did they even look at that or did they judge Trent not to have handballed it and we went off and scored?

But its not though.
Unfortunately you cannot determine the perimeters of the discussion, its not the way it works.

[quote=“rab, post:448, topic:3537, full:true”]

And if you think Mings should be a red then how could you argue Jota’s shouldn’t?

Intent.
Completely different.
Thats how football works chief

Well it is. You don’t play games to win titles. You play games to win points and enough of them win you titles.

A poor decision that costs us three points when we’re in a title rate is no better or worse than that same decision costing a team down the bottom three points.

You’re deflecting the conversation away from the point with something that is immaterial.

1 Like

No
I am not.

Look at the examples @jaffod gave.
The majority of which had major impact on Liverpool. Including the Rodri handball vs Everton. Season costing decisions.

Liverpool might get a decision tomorrow.
Do you think that evens out decisions against us?

You are clutching at straws with your examples.

To compare Mings and Jota is beyond comprehension.
Mings knows where Cody is and follows through
Jota raises a boot and Schipp lowers his head at the same time.

Context matters.
None if your examples gave us any great advantage.

It literally isn’t.

"SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

If Mings should have gone, so should Jota. To argue Mings should and Jota shouldn’t is to ignore the laws of the game.

1 Like

Post above.
You are incorrect here.
Jota and Mings is chalk and cheese

2 Likes

It is ABSOLUTELY material! Especially when it happens repeatedly at critical junctures during a title race to both cost us points and absolve them from transgressions. @Quicksand was right, you’re moving goalposts to suit your fallacy of an argument. You would have an argument had they gotten unfair calls (against them or for the opposition) that lost them points. But they never happen. We lost two league titles by one solitary point. Of course wrong decisions against us meant more then!

3 Likes

Fuck’s sake. If someone doesn’t see how different those two are then you’re wasting your time talking to them

3 Likes

If you don’t think that Trent handball in the run up to the goal against Leeds didn’t give us any advantage then you are denying the evidence of your eyes and it’s not worth the time engaging with you.

We’ll leave it there shall we.

So a bad decision against a side at the top of the league is worse than a decision against the side at the bottom of the league purely on the basis of league position? Explain that to me.

It doesn’t matter how you see them, it matters what the laws say. I don’t know how you can suggest Jota didn’t endanger an opponent having kicked him in the head with his boot at shoulder height.

Jota literally doesn’t know the Spurs player is there, with his head lowered. No excessive force, or brutality.

Mings follows through and leaves scars on Cody’s chest. He knows full well what he is doing.

If you equate those two incidents then you don’t understand the laws of the game.

2 Likes