Post match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (EPL 20/5/23 3pm)

Understand Captain America GIF

We are a disparate community. With myriad ideas, likes and hates

The only real connection is Liverpool, and we argue a lot about our singular connection. Which is fair enough.

We have all manner of personalities.

Since this match (+Brentford) Iā€™ve watched several games that have made me reflect on the future of football.

I watched the awful Europa and Conference League final games. And then the U20s.

The level of shithousery in the game is simply off the charts. And it looks set to grow even furtherā€¦

Recall Florentino Perez during the ill fated SL launch express concerns about the direction of the game.

I have two boys who play and love football. But neither of them follow the game the way i, and I suspect many here do.

They have little patience to see games like this through and would often rather play FIFA and then see the highlights of actual matc matchesā€¦

We all assume that the game will always be popular and have mass following. When you add to this the sports washing by the likes of City and PSG, I start to wonderā€¦

Watching the U20 final and its the same shithouseryā€¦

2 Likes

Heā€™d do nowt about the shithousery mate. Real Madrid are some of the worst proponents of this. Witness what Ramos did to Salah and how Nacho manhandled Grealish at Madrid, clattering him at every opportunity (I dislike Grealish but that treatment was loathsome).

He was mainly about losing the ability to compete against the likes of City, PSG, and Newcastle. The cynical nature of the game wouldnā€™t change with his new league

2 Likes

Whereā€™s the money this thread is raising John ?

It was clearly more than that as he spoke specifically of declining number of fans in the Gen Z category.

Besides, the fouls on Grealish or Salah is not what Iā€™m talking about, bad as those are.

Iā€™m talking about a systematic approach to disrupt the game at every opportunity, by a combination of cynical fouls, feigning injuries, delays of the game at every opportunity, and reducing drastically the actual time that the ball is in play.

1 Like

Fair enough. Did he address how his team is also a leading proponent of said cynical approach? Starting with Courtois holding on to the ball forever when they have a lead and every outfield player falling over at the slightest touch?

I donā€™t think Madrid represents an example of what Iā€™m talking about.