Post match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 19/8/23 3pm)

Meaning it will happen again

1 Like

VAR doesn’t seem to actually assist the ref any more. I can understand why the on pitch ref can get it wrong because they get one look at one angle.

However if the VAR will not reassess it (unless there was no contact at all) then refs will be tempted only to give yellow cards in future. This surely undermines them on the pitch?

1 Like

I never said so on the forum but I’ll admit that I never saw that being overturned. :+1::nerd_face:

3 Likes

If we’d have got that really soft penalty then it would have evened out.

Wait, we did get a really soft penalty :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

They won’t bother, next set of games will create fresh controversy and we all move on.

One could think the following. A mistake was made, partially rectified after the event and we all shake hands and look for tomorrow. Easier I find.

i disagree with this.

it was a penalty. foot on foot impeding the player.

the dive wasa bit embarrassing.

2 Likes

I’d have red carded the dive. Touching feet does not constitute a penalty.

impeding does though.

you cant red card a dive. you can yellow card simulation.

1 Like

The penalty was a penalty, the red card wasn’t a red card.

Not sure how those incidents evened each other out.

8 Likes

I didn’t say I could, I said I would.

Its a clear as day penalty.

6 Likes

I missed the match, so could only see the incident off MOTD. However, that was a couple of days after, and I expected some Grealish-esque dive.

Imagine my shock when what I actually saw was Szoboszlai getting both legs blocked off by the defender, and just exaggerating his fall rather than pretending there was contact. If this is a dive now, United/City should never be awarded any fouls…

2 Likes

£1000 says it wouldn’t have been if given against us. This is my overarching point, we all think decisions in our favour are correct and against us “dodgy”

@ILLOK the only possible explanation I can give for the red is the ref trying to even it up after the weak penalty.

Oh I’m not part of the ref agenda argument, I don’t have the energy to track all the calls refs make (I don’t even know who most of them are just doesn’t interest me). I just know thats a pen; defender waves a leg, misses ball and kicks both shins while the attacker is changing direction.

Its the kind of shit Moreno used to do all the time and one of the reasons I thought he was fucking crap.

As for the red card I think the referee thought it was a studs up, straight leg. I assume this is what he wrote in his report and that is why, on review, the red was rescinded. This is where the current use of VAR makes no sense.

4 Likes

I always think it’s laughable that the most set-in-its-ways, traditional game cricket has adopted video assistance with (after a few years) a huge improvement in the accuracy of decisions. Football however is going backwards. Granted cricket decisions are either out or not out. 100 ex pros could see either of the decisions in this game and there wouldn’t be unanimity. There’s the problem. All down to opinion and interpretation. Studs up is a red but kicking somebody’s foot? Was there excessive effort? Intent? Revenge? etc etc etc.

Salah might get less fouls but maybe that’s because he’s so bloody good at ghosting past players that the refs just assume he’s diving all the time.

The defender initiated the contact after being fooled by the footwork, and made no contact with the ball.

Szoboslai could have stumbled off balance instead of throwing himself to the ground, but referees refuse to give penalties unless players go down.

Dom didn’t initiate the contact like Kane does, he didn’t leave his leg dangling out there. It was all the defender.

It’s a foul and a penalty. Calling it ‘weak’ or ‘soft’ is just a way to avoid properly analysing the decision.

5 Likes

Looking at you, Alan Shearer…

Shearer’s favourite phrase is players being “entitled” to go down. If a player has been kicked or tripped they may well go down. However that has more to do with gravity.

Would you agree that if given against us, people on here would say it was soft?

Some would, some wouldn’t. What difference does that make? I’d be saying the same thing.

Just because there are two differing opinions doesn’t mean they are both equally valid.

2 Likes