Post match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 20/9/24 3pm)

Slot on Nunez goal:

“My first instinct was when he shot, I said ‘why does he shoot? Why don’t you keep on dribbling?’” Slot said. “I saw the ball went in off the post. I was like ‘OK, maybe you are a better football player than I was in the past.’”

18 Likes

Did you miss the Forest game?

I want to pretend the match never happened.

4 Likes

The rest of the interview makes it sound as though Arne is some kind of strategic mastermind, everything’s going according to plan.

1 Like

Someone will find something

2 Likes

5 games, 4 wins, only one goal conceded. The start under Slot has been pretty good.

The run of fixtures haven’t been that tough, and the Forest result grates as it could be 15 pts. Harder tests are to come, but so far so good.

I was pleased to see Darwin play today. Lovely goal. He didn’t stray offside much either, which was good to see. I would persist with starting him as I think he will kick on more.

Gravenberch is the story of the season so far. Van der Vaart said last season that Gravenberch should concentrate on trying to win the 6 role at Liverpool, as he has all the attributes and that was his best route into the side. Good call that man! I love what we’ve seen so far.

Top of the league is nice, but we will drop down to second tomorrow, whatever happens between Arsenal and Man City.

I don’t quite know what result I want there. Probably a draw. With an outbreak of localized Ebola, something like that.

8 Likes

You can’t perform the way he has without a run of games, so of course it has something to do with it. The quality he’s showing on the ball now, we saw in spells last season. It’s more noticeable now because he’s playing 90mins back to back.

Arne takes every bit as much of the credit as Grav as he saw how he could utilise his attributes to max effect, which no one would’ve thought was possible.

2 Likes
1 Like

On the other hand, part of that was because he was everywhere. Slot must have emphasized helping out the defence, Darwin was an absolute horse. When was the last time you saw a forward with the second most tackles in a match?

9 Likes

When he was only playing 1 game per week!

1 Like

Gravenberch reminds me a lot of Mousa Dembele (ex Spurs) who was insanely good running with the ball and just drifting past players as if they weren’t there. Looked effortless but could carry the ball 40 or 50 yards with ease.
Gravenberch plays with his head up, no running down blind alleys and right now is an absolute joy to watch.
At the start of the season I wondered if Slot, being Dutch, would bring out more in Gakpo but Grav has been an absolute revelation so far.

7 Likes

Nah I think he’s looked weaker and less sharp. Sure he’s done well with some crosses when he’s come deeper but he isn’t the explosive Mo anymore. Unfortunately think it’s age and can see why the contract hasn’t been forthcoming. I’d love to see us buy another ~2018 Mo.

I was unable to watch the game due to getting friends over at a very inopportune time :confused:

I can only read comments and cannot comment on the game. The score looks good though and I love that ! :smiley:

1 Like

Good result, interesting times.Gravenberch has been a revelation so far this season,been given a run of games now he must be one of the first on the team sheet.
Like others I wondered about Nunez but in this game, still some things to do but thought Arne’s reaction to his goal, which looked a cracker, says it all.
Given a run of games he may well be very handy, indeed,
Mo is drifting in and out a bit, not about to tip him yet, though.
Anyway ,MOTM for me ,again ,is Gravenberch.

1 Like

Offside?? I don’t recall him getting in offside positions more than 5 times yesterday…

And on Chiesa , I think he did good in the limited time yesterday.

Offered something different, linked up well with the others.

Make him start against West Ham

6 Likes

Few decent things here, especially the last 2 pieces of play, as well as the effort off the post on his weaker (if I recall would’ve been ruled out had it went in - can’t remember what for).

7 Likes
5 Likes

Which I guess is why the club are wary about his new contract. I don’t think he’s going to be able to keep his current pay, let alone have it increased, just based on that alone. He’s still a great player, one of the best, but it would be folly to just blindly assume he can carry that for a few more years. I think if there was a way to agree a rolling contract of sorts (with options for renewal every year, a year in advance), there might be a way to bridge the demands of both sides.

All blind speculation of course.

2 Likes

I can’t say I’ve looked that far in-depth, but I think I saw somewhere that at least for the first few games, his underlying metrics hadn’t dipped from the incredible standards he’s set for the past few seasons.

1 Like