Post Match: Liverpool v Brighton (EPL 1/10/22 3pm)

I agree with this, if we give their defence the ability to play an easy long ball in behind they do it, when we press it’s usually low scoring.

After Trossard’s hattrick, everyone seems to be mentioning Arshavin.

IIRC that was the stupid match where the Arses just had only four shots at goal the whole game, with Arshavin bagging all four of them.

This season seems like a rerun of that game over and over. A shot on target by the oppostion, goal.

On the one hand, I thought the exertion of last season and the way it ended might have contributed to our defense’s slow start this year, but thinking back it was a problem as far back as early May and Villarreal. Whatever the root cause is, it’s clear that none of our back four are on song, but Alisson has certainly kept us in games.

Still, I shudder to think what would have happened if we hadn’t won the 2019 UCL final — as Millie acknowledged there was a “hell of a lot” riding on it. It was not just the first of many, it was the first trophy for Klopp at the club.

1 Like

Why are our best players Diaz and Allison then, why aren’t any of the newer signings kicking on. Darwin is getting 4 minutes that’s utter dogtoss.

It’s not Edwards, whoever put the block on going to the market hours before it closed is the issue. Brighton aren’t going sell one of their talents after the start they had with hours left.

Now that’s probably a failure of Klopp, Ward and FSG.

2 Likes

It’s hilarious to bring up FSG, this sits at Klopps and Peps door, they fucked preseason, they refused midfielders offered to them and have tried to implement a new style which is horrific.

You have to keep refreshing your team, blind loyalty to players on the wane has fucked us right over. Klopp pushed to retain Hendo and Milner.

2 Likes

What can we do this season to salvage it? Even with every one healthy bar the usual sick notes, we are still making the same mistakes over and over again. We didn’t just become shit overnight. We nearly won a quadruple last season for goodness sake!

1 Like

We eithier just completely go for a reinvention and play it in or we continue to do what we do now and hope the players hit some form.

It could easily go like the season when we scraped CL, it is possible but what the catalyst for that was who knows.

I was hoping this space would have given us something but it’s the level we were at before the break.

1 Like

Who do we sell to finance the new players, why do you think Milner got a new deal, players are on big wages but our rivals can pay more, it was only a matter of time before it all came crashing down, Klopp can’t come out and tell the truth or we would have similar protests like Utd against the Glazers.

1 Like

And doubled down on it. Some pragmatism is needed. Dial it in a little till we get most of the players back in form.

Keep shape at times, play with some nous, and can keep tight for periods of the game when we’re not playing so well.

Trossard went off injured just before he scored. We should have just passed the ball about in proper shape. LEt Brigton come to us, rather than pushing on.

2 Likes

Quite at 3-2 you sit back a bit and let them come on, we do have pace and we have been known to counter teams so it’s not the worst idea and yet we seem to go all out for a 4th.

What proof do you have money wasn’t available?

The words from Klopps own mouth was he kept saying no to midfielders till a week before the window ended and then we tried to sign one.

It’s on Klopp for wanting to wait for the perfect midfielder and relying on a midfield which has failed him, but anyone could have predicted all the issues… Hendos legs going, Keita being injured, Thiago getting injured etc.

Also If Klopp watches Fabinho this season and thinks he’s played well… I’d be very worried.

5 Likes

Why do we need to sell? We should have not extended Milner’s contract and get somebody younger and more robust. There are plenty of cheap quality players in that mold all over if our scouts are doing their jobs.

Yup, that was what I said as well. The loss of Mr Michael Edwards is a massive hole in our team. This man knows how to identify a player, knows when to pursue a player and more importantly, knows when to drop the pursuit and find the next player that is a closest fit.

I don’t think Ward has that skillset and clout to influence Klopp.

That’s the lack of confidence in defence. We should be able to protect a one goal lead.

1 Like

:thinking:

I’m almost glad we didn’t hold out to win 3-2, or even nick a late winner. It would have been papering over the cracks like the Newcastle game was.

We need to take this latest slap in the face and use it to build from. There are too many players ball watching, throwing in timid challenges, and shirking the second ball.

4 Likes

Just before they equalzed, in the match thread I said tongue in cheek to bring on Big Nat to see out the game.

Too much fannying about at the back. Someone like Nat on the field would send a message to dig in and not go on suicical eight man expedition trips upfield when we’re 3-2 up.

1 Like

Klopp can’t tell the truth he has hinted a few times about the way we operate and would like to take more of a risk, Milner getting a new deal is better than having nobody. Like the season we had the defensive crisis he said he would like a defender we got Kabak on loan and someone nobody ever saw.
Bellingham in the summer don’t make m laugh. We probably sign a couple of free agents.

2 Likes

There are a number of players out of form, but they didn’t become bad players overnight — I did think immediately after about whether they just have to play themselves into form or not. You shouldn’t keep deserving bench players out of the side to wait around for a favorite to come back around, but none of the players bar Alisson have been anywhere near their best form.

Still, with our exceptional points tallies the last four years, we did have a 69-point year in there. While that was largely down to injuries and we did well to make top four, it kind of glossed over the fact that teams can have off years for a number of reasons. We were very good last year, mediocre the year before, exceptional the two years prior. Results come about in a lot of different ways.

It doesn’t make it any less shit. But things can change very quickly — people are bigging up United who got a couple of results after starting the season horribly. Yes, they have a better coach and have strengthened in general, but if (when) they get tanked next, I would not be surprised if everything goes to shit again for a while.

You’re clutching at straws making out Klopp is lying. I’d chose to believe him as this is literally his managerial style… it’s why he left Dortmund.