Post match: Liverpool v Brighton (EPL 30/22/21 3pm)

There was a reason i wasn’t confident on this match coming in. Brighton are a very well drilled team

2 Likes

No…

Graham Potter is an excellent manager. He turns average teams into winners. He prepares his team with a plan to beat any side as long as they stick to the plan. We underestimate him at our peril.

Today we played a reasonable game but got caught (again) thinking we could walk it…

4 Likes

We need to try 3 at the back in 3-4-3 formation against teams like Brighton and other counter attacking teams. Play Trent and Kostas/Robbo as wingers who help the defenders at the same time make forward runs. This would make us less vulnerable to people making runs from the mid and trapping us.

1 Like

Be interesting to see what the Keita injury is didn’t look like a reaction to the Pogba challenge. That was said to be an impact injury on shin this looked more a muscle injury and going on past form takes him a while to get over.

We lost it at midfield and one more reason why we need one more midfielder come the transfer window.

An understudy for fabinho i think… The whole liverpool defensive structure was man utd esque at times

He got hair now apparently

Well, Elliot is younger but is very much suited in the midfield compared to Curtis Jones. I know it is early days but Elliot (before his half-season ender) did help to balance the midfield way better than Jones.

1 Like

Motm for me was Alisson for helping with at least 1 point. Sure, to blame for a goal that wouldn’t have been a goal if not hit perfectly.

Jones was a complete waste, we might as well have played a midfield of 2, Ox not that much better. Turning point was Naby going off injured again.

Got cocky and lost 2 points.

Bobby should have been off much sooner. He missed another golden opportunity and didn’t even make the keeper work. They were all over him, completely taken out of the game, became a passenger or a player that got pressed off the ball. Still, Jones the worst.

We gave the ball away, miss hit countless passes, got caught on the ball in dangerous places (Jones again). Just shit, really, really shit.

2 Likes

I definitely won’t recognise him then.

to be fair, with naby gone, it was an easy adjustment for potter to make. man for man he already saw his midfield was better than ours (after naby injury). it was a matter of them holding and moving the ball quicker…None of the midfield three we had knows how to hold onto the ball or control a game

1 Like

I’m really not sure as to how we struggle when the opponents pack the midfield. Klopp doesn’t play a 3 man cb and has been vocally against it… But every season we see teams play with 3 in the back and end up dominating our midfield

1 Like

I’m sure that the vast majority of us agree, but:

a) he needs to agree to moving
b) we need to find a buyer who will pay a reasonable fee
c) he needs to agree to the (almost certain) cut in wages and (even more certain) reduced chance of adding medals to his collection.

Easy, this selling players lark, isn’t it? :wink:

2 Likes

Well, duh, lol

Point is it isn’t ox or jones… Keita does an understated job of maintaining pressing and with fabinho missing , henderson was the only guy who could press the midfield.

Ox and Jones could be interchangeable with not much difference in output…

Lot of the work keita does isn’t recognized even if he has his off games

1 Like

Injuries in midfield are starting to take their toll. We just didn’t have fresh legs with both Jones and Chamberlain playing 90 minutes in Wednesday and apart from 18 year old Morton there was no one Klopp could bring on to stabilize the midfield.

That said, leading by 2 goals at home after 25 minutes should have been enough even with the levels of energy becoming an issue as time passed by. We should have managed the game far better but instead we got served with an abomination of an half without energy, organisation or composure. Fair to say that if any team deserved to win that was Brighton.

The bigger problem is that while the lack of freshness didn’t help, this isn’t the first time we’ve dropped points after taking the lead and it probably won’t be the last. It needs fixing and it needs to get done fast. We have a real shot at winning trophies but we can’t keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

3 Likes

Well that started so well and then Naby got hurt and we progressively went to shite.

At least Man City lost and we will get Thiago back soon and England are smacking Australia to all parts.

1 Like

Fabinho isn’t the most durable of players missed 14 games last 18 year before and has missed 3 with 2 he would have played in.

1 Like

I saw the depth comment a couple of times, and just want to say we have eight options for three positions. Four midfielders were out - Fabinho, Thiago, Milner, Elliot; and the four we saw today were Henderson, Jones, Naby, and Ox when Naby came off.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like us to sign another midfielder, but I think we will wait until the summer. Ideally it will be someone who is not only good, but also has a good fitness record as it is a legitimate concern that there are fitness question marks over a couple of our midfielders.

Tchoumeni please, and Bellingham the year after.

5 Likes

Feels bitter as defeat… That’s 4 easy points lost against Brighton and Brentford…

4 Likes