Post match: Liverpool v Brighton (EPL 30/22/21 3pm)

Chamberlain did pop up with an assist. I would classify him as a player good enough for teams challenging for CL places.

As for Jones, he probably needs some time with a team that is not challenging for top 2. He needs to decide soon on what sort of midfielder he wants to be or if he even wants to be a midfielder at all!

I’m starting to wonder too if Jones has reached his ceiling we saw more from Elliott who has just converted to a midfielder than we ever do from Jones.

1 Like

One more for his player thread maybe, but it has to be said: I think it’s time Ox moves on. He’s lively in attack and has a goal in him - plus against lesser teams like Preston, he looked like the most technically gifted player on the pitch - but he’s sloppy in possession, doesn’t track back like he should and just doesn’t suit the Klopp system. Need someone more solid.

1 Like

on the positive side, crystal palace is becoming a nightmare matchup for city

I wonder if resting for thirty minutes on the ball last week and then playing a reserve team in the cup might have done more harm than good?

2 Likes

Curtis really couldn’t get a grip on their midfielders. Hendo was in charge first half but tired pretty obviously towards the end of the second. Ox flitted in and out like a fast sprinting version of Gini.

2 Likes

I thought Jones was okay today. At least he didn’t give the ball away a lot like Ox did.

He cannot just keep playing one-man army for 90 minutes you know.

For this match, maybe.

But for longer term it was probably the right decision.

1 Like

10 games in and we have had 4 different centre back pairings thats not helping consistency especially with Virgil not 100% yet.

Yeah, we are short in midfield. Don’t forget that Milner is out also. We need to buy a new midfielder. Thiago is permanently injured.

2 Likes

OX jus aint the answer in that position, he hasnt been for a while now. but we are short in that position

Totally agree Worgan. While it is ‘easy to say in hindsight’ I also thought this. We need to phase Bobby out to be honest and sign a top level forward. Absolutely Klopp delayed the second sub but I feel if we had millie or someone in midfield he may have made it earlier. Tsimi for Andy would also have been good - although Andy actually got more into the game in the last 15 minutes. I wasn’t happy with how narrow we were with TAA inside and Taki basically playing as the wide outlet on the right. The setup was not great in the second half - its interesting that Klopp kept them in at HT for the maximum amount of time he could - suggests that there were some execution issues. I do wonder if Konate has made our defensive press a little less reliable and I think we may see Joel come back into the team.

I don’t know whether we should gamble with Morton against Atletico, but with Ox/Jones playing like that I am tempted.

Assume that Fabinho/Thiago/Mille cannot return in time

1 Like

Maybe not but got caught in position at least 3 times in dangerous positions.

To be honest, I would looking for someone that is like Yves Bissouma but cheaper. But I ain’t got any names though…

The Man Utd game was obvious - to neutralise the pace of Rashford/Greenwood.

But yeah, the selection for this game, where we would have a lot of the ball and them with no striker, is a bit of a head scratcher.

2 Likes

Yeah, need another man of steel.

1 Like

hope thiago is back, but he wont start, so look for hendo, jones and `God knows who…

I’m starting to forget what he looks like.

2 Likes