Post match: Liverpool v Brighton (EPL 30/22/21 3pm)

It’s been deleted, surely because it really was a terrible choice.
You’ll have to vote again.

I never thought I’d say this, but…

Bring back @Kopstar

:flushed:

3 Likes

There will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth here but think we need a reality check. Firstly, Brighton are a very good team (some in other thread highlighted City beating them 4-1, without reflecting on them losing to Palace who we beat 3-0).

We are simply light in midfield when get a few injuries. We’re very reliant on Fab. Keita and Thiago injury prone. Ox will never be good enough, he’s had enough chances. Jones is quality but young so naturally inconsistent. As many of us said we needed another midfielder in the summer. Bellingham would be a game changer but Bissouma would also make a big difference.

In the meantime I think Klopp and the team have done very well this season, given the resources at hand

2 Likes

Well done Brighton. After a two goal deficit, it looked ominous for them. Their first goal was good, but it was a 1 in a 1000 goal, where the stars aligned – seemed like he got under it more than he wanted, and then the Sun took over,.

In the second, Graham Potter outwitted Klopp. He put three high up, and we did not respond. Suicidally , we kept 2 v their 3. When they beat the lackluster tiring press in the second half, they were two passes on to goal, and their equalizer was well worked.

As for us, we started brightly, got two goals, and Bobby had a stinker when was put through 1 v 1. The Mane disallowed goal – if Sadio pointed to his upper sleeve, maybe VAR would’ve struggled to overturn it (but I’ve not seen the slow mo).

The Keita injury meant Klopp withheld the needed second sub until after it was already too late. Could see their second goal coming – swapping Bobby for Jota at 60 would’ve made sense, as would have Tsimi for Andy at around 80 minutes.

Konate is a work in progress, and we will get this from him while he prospers and learns under Klopp. Could see the thinking against Man Utd to counter the pace, but Matip would’ve made more sense here.

Ox had a delicious assist to Mane, but I didn’t like the tactics of stationing him wide left of midfield in the second half – it just made our midfield disjointed.

Brenford and now Brighton getting something from the game that we should;ve been out of sight. Got déjà vu of Rafa’s 2009 season with drawing games. But it’s still early, and we are more than capable of winning 10 on the bounce. Plus Shitty lost.

Chelsea look in form, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop points in a mid season bore draw fest around January.

2 Likes

True but when we throw away a 2 goal lead doesn’t inspire confidence we can keep up with them. It only takes another games like this and its possibly 5 points.

Definitely feels like two points dropped. I thought we were home and hosed when the second went in, but from then on until FT Brighton were probably the better team and good value for the draw.

Not sure where things went wrong, aside from the obvious point that Brighton are a good team mainly lacking a reliable CF, managed by a good coach who will no doubt go on to bigger and better things in his career.

At least City lost…

2 Likes

Kind of is when your throwing 2-0 leads away at home.

1 Like

Firmino should have been hooked off much earlier. Curtis Jones is only good when there is no pressure on him. That only happens when we play teams that don’t get up in our faces like Watford and Man United.

If Curtis Jones cannot affect the game when there is pressure on him, it goes to show that is his level right now. I only wonder if Curtis Jones did pick up anything from Thiago or Keita or even Henderson, all of which are different types of midfielders? Is it the lack of physical ability? Is it the lack of footballing intelligence?

Yep , he was poor today.

A good first half hour and after we’d scored the second I think the lads thought they had won the game. Both fullbacks had nightmares and our midfield looked knackered before halftime. Mo was quiet but to be fair didn’t get any service that counted. Least said about Bobby is best. Gave Mane my MOM for his energy and effort. One to be forgotten and move on to Athletico.

… and VVD for Gomez. :+1:

Playing at home against a side capable of finishing ahead of Manure, doesn’t mean we had to play like it.

1 Like

/Ox coming on

Never thought I would see the day were Naby not being on the field would make such a massive difference, but lack of depth does that to you i guess

1 Like

I can’t understand why Matip was dropped for him in first place.

4 Likes

It’s the draws that kill you.
We’ve only won 1 more than arsenal and they are shit.

3 Likes

Very disappointing game. Bright side we are still undefeated.

Champions league game is going to be very interesting this week

I watched the full game and I have to admit, Brighton deserved to win it. We were fortunate to get away with a point in the end. They looked really sharp when catching us on the break time and again and pretty much nullified our front three in the 2nd half. Why are we so naive after taking the lead in a game? At 2-0, it’s not necessary to keep pouring forward in numbers, leaving yourselves exposed at the back. Just use your brains and control the possession.
A few players were under par today. Robbo has not played well for a while now and needs a spell on the sidelines. And when Firmino stinks, he stinks.

5 Likes

Poor result in the end. Too many draws way too early in the season.

Midfield was lightweight with ox and Jones, bullied by Brighton for chunks of the game. Robbo needs a rest and kostas has proven himself more than good enough for a run in the team. Hopefully keita ain’t too bad but feel he was definitely rushed back in

In game management is something we need to work on, 4th time this season we dropped a 2 goal lead.

On the positive side, Mane was a beast today, our woes from last season regarding finishing seem to have been allayed with 2+ goals for the umpteenth time in a row.

Roll on Atletico, they’re without griezmann and possibly lemar so should be less stressful at the back for us

7 Likes