Post match: Liverpool v Burnley (10/2/24 3pm)

Player of the match
  • Caohimin KELLEHER
  • Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
  • Jarell QUANSAH
  • Virgil VAN DIJK
  • Andrew ROBERTSON
  • Wataru ENDO
  • Alexis MAC ALLISTER
  • Curtis JONES
  • Diogo JOTA
  • Darwin NUŃEZ
  • Luis DIAZ
  • Harvey ELLIOTT
  • Cody GAKPO
  • Bobby CLARK
  • James McCONNELL
  • Kostas TSIMIKAS
0 voters

Unused subs: Adrian, Mrozek, Gravenberch, Koumas.

:arrows_counterclockwise: 45’ Harvey ELLIOTT :arrow_right: :arrow_left: Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD

:arrows_counterclockwise: 82’ Cody GAKPO :arrow_right: :arrow_left: Luis DIAZ

:arrows_counterclockwise: 90+7’ James McCONNELL :arrow_right: :arrow_left: Alexis MAC ALLISTER

:arrows_counterclockwise: 90+7’ Bobby Clark :arrow_right: :arrow_left: Wataru ENDO

:arrows_counterclockwise: 90+7’ Kostas TSIMIKAS :arrow_right: :arrow_left: Andrew ROBERTSON

:soccer: 31’ Diogo JOTA (:rightwards_hand: Trent ALEXANDER- ARNOLD)

:soccer: 52’ Luis DIAZ (:rightwards_hand: Harvey ELLIOTT)

:soccer: 79’ Darwin NUŃEZ (:rightwards_hand: Harvey ELLIOTT)

14 Likes

We really have to do something about these anaemic first half performances, but it’s the result after ninety minutes that matters.

We’re still top of the league (although you wouldn’t think so, judging by the Man City wankfest in the media) despite not really playing that well. With players returning from injury and international duty, I maintain that there is only one thing that can prevent us from winning the league: the refs.

12 Likes

Normal service 1st half, stepped it up immeasurably 2nd half to win the game.

The Harvey sub was the one, ran the show.

Glad to have Endo and Kostas back.

2 Likes

Didn’t watch it, routine win?
Told you all it wasn’t over :innocent:

3 Likes

Routine second half win if we’re all honest.

1st half we were lethargic and devoid of ideas, but second half we were tip top mostly

1 Like

1-1 it is then!

Happy with the win but…

Very disappointing display from Nunez,

He didn’t hit the woodwork once!

5 Likes

Hit the goalie a couple of times though - almost the same?.

That was remarkably comfortable in the end given that this is clearly a squad struggling with illnesses or injury.

There were actually a few decent performances. Jota was a live wire and Robertson looks more like himself.

I’m just pleased with the 3 points. I’m hoping we will look more like ourselves by next Saturday.

6 Likes

To be fair, the goal he did score was a really really good header. And as always he created a ton of chances and put a ton of pressure on the Burnley defenders.

Brilliant second half. Elliot’s introduction was a bit of a match-turner. Two assists and had his feet into every good move our lads managed to create.

Burnley weren’t great to be fair, and it was a routine win, but still one which the boys had to fight for. Given that many important players were missing, this is an excellent result for us!

6 Likes

Huffed and puffed through the game. A poor display but a good three points takes us back to the top. Harvey made a big improvement to our midfield second half and top marks to Kelleher for the second half save.

Elliot the obvious MOTM for me, came on and grabbed two assists to go with a stellar performance. Thought Jones did really well when shifted out to an unfamiliar position. Didn’t quite click all over the pitch today, but that’s to be expected with a number of injuries and illness running through the squad. Feel for Nunez a bit who could have had a couple more and put the game beyond doubt earlier had Diaz lifted his head up and played the right pass on a number of occasions.

Also should give some props to Kelleher who made a couple of very important saves at crucial times.

2 Likes

Completely agree. I think he had a pretty good game. He ran all day and the header was really well taken.

2 Likes

Decent game with Elliott the catalyst from the bench for a much better second half. Slow starts need to be fixed though.

Nice to see all front 3 get on the scoresheet, not so nice to see TAA suffering a recurrence of his knee injury following Szoboszlai. Just what are we doing with these injuries?

On a final note, the ref was something of a rarity these days. Consistent and unbiased. He called it like he saw it, getting a few things wrong for both teams but without caring who the beneficiary was.

3 Likes

Agree but I also think that Macalister going back into a deeper position was also critical.

2 Likes