Post Match: Liverpool v Burnley (EPL 21/1/21 8pm)

Man of the match
  • Alisson BECKER
  • Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
  • Joel MATIP
  • FABINHO
  • Andrew ROBERTSON
  • Thiago ALCANTARA
  • Gini WIJNALDUM
  • Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN
  • Xherdan SHAQIRI
  • Sadio MANE
  • Divock ORIGI
  • Roberto FIRMINO
  • Mohamed SALAH
  • Takumi MINAMINO

0 voters

Unused subs: Kelleher, Milner, Jones, Tsimikas, Phillips, N Williams.

:arrows_counterclockwise: 57’ Roberto FIRMINO on, Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN off
:arrows_counterclockwise: 57’ Mohamed SALAH on, Divock ORIGI off
:arrows_counterclockwise: 84’ Takumi MINAMINO on, Xherdan SHAQIRI off

Well, that was shite.

It was Barcelona revisited tonight, with Div and Shaq starting alongside Sadio up top. Whether Mo and Bobby were dropped or rested, with one eye on Sunday’s trip to Salford in the FA Cup, is for the reader to decide. Joel returned to the heart of the defence in place of Henderson, the captain being sidelined through a minor injury, while Ox came into the midfield.

After a poor run of three points in our last four league matches, and starting the game six points behind Manchester United+ (the plus is for the officials) it was absolutely essential that the goal shy Reds snapped out of their recent funk against a Burnley side which hadn’t won at Anfield since 1974 but was the only team to deny us three points at home last season, albeit after the title was already won.

A humdrum first half saw… well, not much, really. The home side had a couple of early corners which had the Burnley defence scrambling; Shaq shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box; Div hit a couple of efforts straight at Pope.

At the other end, Alisson only had one real save to make, atoning for dropping the ball himself by recovering to block Barnes’ follow-up shot. Other than that, the visitors barely threatened.

Trent launched a shot and a late free kick into the Anfield Road End and then Divock missed the best chance of the half, pouncing on a defensive lapse to race through one-on-one with the keeper but getting too much on his shot and seeing it crash off the bar. A poor finish, in all honesty.

Some handbags at the halftime whistle saw Fabinho booked for what looked like an unnecessary kick but, as the players trudged off for their halftime oranges, the general feeling was one of overwhelming boredom.

The game continued in much the same vein after the break, with Pope making a sharp early save to deny Mané early doors but little else of note really happening. Jürgen finally decided that he’d seen enough in the 57th minute and hauled off Ox and Div, replacing them with Mo and Bobby.

Salah immediately forced Pope into a fine low save at his near post, having been set up by Gini’s driving run, before Bobby steered harmlessly wide from Robbo’s pass.

More huff and puff with no end product and then, with seven minutes left to play… penalty to Burnley. Barnes beat Fabinho and was one-on-one with Alisson. The keeper spread himself and Barnes initiated contact- he “won” the penalty and the calmly converted it.

438 minutes without a goal in the league. Unbeaten home run: gone. Title hopes: on the ropes. Faith: unwavering. In Klopp we trust.

Next up, as mentioned earlier, is a trip to Castle Greyskull in the cup on Sunday. Normally, a fourth round cup tie wouldn’t carry too much significance but, given the current resurgence of the red half of Manchester, the match takes on an additional edge.

MOTM: President Joe Biden, for making an excellent inauguration speech and then wasting no time in setting about reversing some of his predecessor’s baffling decisions through the signing of executive orders. Let’s see how he fares over the next few months, especially as the right wing media won’t stay subdued for long. I wish him well.

12 Likes

Fuck off. Everything is shit.

11 Likes

Fuck me, if anything I was being too optimistic with my expectations. Even top4 is gonna be a struggle at this rate, depressing.

1 Like

Bloody smash and grab. Unbelievable. I am lost for words. Poor match all around the pitch.

This bump on the road needs to be flattened in the biggest way and in the shortest time. Our winless run is getting a bit too long for comfort.

Our home undefeated record ended with bloody Burnley. Fvck!!!

I could not even concentrate on the match. I guess it was a good thing in that case.

No picks for me for players in red.

I still believe! COYR!

Embarrassing. Maybe losing at home was a good thing. End this streak at home. Could it be a burden. Klopp needs to go mad here. No excuses to the media making himself or the lads look like mugs. Blame himself and his team. Give us hope that things will change soon. Get Oxlade and Origi sold this month. Get a striker in the summer alongside a defender . Drop Trent and Robbo give the other two full backs a run out. It can’t get any worse

1 Like

well here we are folks… we in the shits now!!!

2 Likes

Terrible performance. Can’t buy a goal at the moment. Form is dreadful. Need to improve fast. Origi should have scored but even so this team needs to do a lot more.

2 Likes

We can’t pass anymore.

1 Like

Bitters can jump above if they win their next match. Says it all, really.

2 Likes

Honestly bemused by what I’m seeing

The effort’s there. We dominate the ball just cant create any clear cut chances and defenses seem to play flawlessly against us.

It’s gone beyond confusion now, I’m completely lost for ideas.

1 Like

Fuck football.

Huge problems, yet impossible to work out where or why. A few slivers of doubt about Klopp, he looks clueless and just unhappy.

Nothing to do with having 2 defenders out either, to say so is just being a fucking idiot.

1 Like

Thank fuck my work IT guy said “I don’t care if you stream” so that I didn’t stay away from the game to watch the full thing later. :man_shrugging:

Yeah not recovering from that for the title run.

Every match since the West Brom game I’ve gone “right, we’re gonna turn things around today” and then this shit happens again.

1 Like

Nobody knows but Liverpool is the first club to start automating their players. Algorithms are written and compiled already for Trent and Salah but lots of errors so far…

Unbelievable. A month ago we were the main title contender, now we’re going to fight for what? Top 4 again?

We’re still brilliant, we’re still Liverpool, we still have it within ourselves to win everything and Klopp is a god amongst men. Burnley are shit, we rightly couldn’t be arsed beating them. Golden sky gang, golden sky.

11 Likes

The Villa game was the one that made me lose any hope this season. I’ve watched enough youth football to know just how embarrassing it was for us to struggle against a team that young.

We have no idea how to create proper chances. The best we can hope for this season is top 4 and a cup.

5 Likes