Post match: Liverpool v Cardiff (FAC 6/2/22 12pm)

Yep, that could easily have been a red and had we have lost and the opponent keeper did the same, daggers would be out.

We’ve been extremely lucky with ref and VAR decisions this season.

So far.

2 Likes

It was good that we went with such a strong team because we always stink the place out when we haven’t played for a while so it was nice to get that game out of the way. We were toiling before the goal. Much better when we brought on the new lad and Elliott. Both were quick and direct. Diaz looks a handful and I was made up for Harvey. Magic moment when he scored. Some nice selection issues for JK to mull over before Thursday night.

3 Likes

Recently perhaps, but had our fair share go against us too earlier in the season

3 Likes

Elliott’s was a beautiful finish.

4 Likes

It is when I saw Harvey Elliott play that I realised why Klopp is not too fussed with getting a midfielder in for the winter window.

With this performance, Harvey Elliott will be ahead of Keita and way ahead of Hendo for the RCM role. This young lad knows when to shoot, when to pass and when to take on players! It is hard to imagine that he is just 18 years old.

A Fabinho-Thiago-Elliott midfield will be an interesting one to watch. It will be a midfield that will surprise people due to its defensive solidity. There, I said it. This midfield will be one of the most defensively solid midfield in the league without compromising on creativity.

4 Likes

Great game. Diaz got his debut, set up a goal with some grit and a bit of luck. Elliott looked like our best midfielder in his return from injury, although that’s probably unkind to the 3 that worked hard for 60 and let him come on in a relatively pressure free environment. He’ll have tougher opposition. I thought Jota looked great, every time he touches ball in opposition third I think we’re going to score.

Interesting that when Elliott and Diaz went on for two mids, it was Firmino that dropped in and played the left sided #8 spot. Perhaps a sign of what to expect in the future or just doing a job for 10 minutes until Milner was ready?

Jones worked hard but didn’t have his shooting boots today. Final pass/ decision a bit poor from him today. I honestly don’t remember much from Kieta, but must have been ok because we had something like 80% possession and a million completed passes to 8. TAA slightly rusty as well despite great assist for opener. I’m about done seeing Milner see out last twenty, takes him forever to get going. They took their goal well, but Milner gifted them the chance.

End of the day, feeling warm and fuzzy. Elliott look great, he scored great goal, Diaz worked hard (loved how disappointed he was when slightly overhit pass to Elliott in the box that took half chance away), Mane and Salah in a final then home, and we’ve gone from strength to strength without them here. Klopp going for some silverware. That was a strong team.

4 Likes

Elliot showed what Jones is lacking. Fast pass, football nouse. Jones has all the tools but does not influence games with them. Elliot took it by the scruff of the neck. Jones should look and learn.

10 Likes

I don’t disagree.

1 Like

I like Jones and dearly want him to do well but I don’t know if he can learn what Elliott instinctively has. That innate footballing intelligence allows him to make the right decision at the right time almost on autopilot. Jones looks like he’s analysing the right option and by the time he’s reached his decision the chance is gone.

6 Likes

That was shown perfectly on the first half offside goal. He should have played the ball to Kostas earlier but by time he realised Kostas was off.

3 Likes

Well, the thing about game intelligence is the level of application one can achieve with it. Elliott looks like it is at an elite level right now at 18 years old. However, Jones’ game is perhaps not at the level we need. He will do ok at leagues with slower pace. However, put him in a team that requires elite levels where the opponents will not allow him the time to think, he will look out of his depth.

Usually with more top level game experience and proper guidance, this part of his game can be nurtured. However, if he somehow cannot change it even with guidance from our coaching staff, perhaps his future lies elsewhere.

His biggest enemy right now is time. He is already 21 years old. If by the age of 23 or 24, his game intelligence doesn’t improve, he’s a goner.

4 Likes

Let’s replace him with Declan Rice :ghost:

Declan Rice would would be a great signing for us. He will cost a fortune though.

1 Like

He literally just turned 21, Jesus fucking Christ… basically writing a kid off because he has one area of his game he needs to improve. He’s one of the best English players around the same age.

12 Likes

I think that’s a bit much. He needs one of those 25 yarders to fly in or get one to go in off his rear, the game will slow down for him a bit. He’s just toiling a bit right now.

21yrs old, ancient, he’s finished!

4 Likes

However, that mental part of the game is very hard to grow. Habits are also very hard to get rid of.

At a certain age, you will know if this player is gonna be a real star or not. It didn’t take very long for the world to know that back in year 2000, a certain 20 year old Steven Gerrard is going to be a star. It also didn’t take the world very long to know that Jude Bellingham is going to be a real talent as well. Same goes for Harvey Elliott.

Let’s put it this way. I am not saying that Curtis Jones is going to be a shit footballer. What I am saying is that we shouldn’t over-hype our academy graduates. It is near impossible to expect that all of our academy graduates are going to operate at the elite level in their career.

2 Likes

I hope so! Let’s see how the season unfolds for him…

You’ve quite clearly forgotten the pisstake that was the Spurs match.

5 Likes

Sell him, he’s shit!

1 Like