Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 20/10/24 4.30pm)

The game was too ugly to justify me doing it, but tactically I’d be interested in rewatching it to see what we were doing to keep Palmer so quiet. He barely had a meaningful touch.

Also, big shout out for Trent today. Chelsea clearly value wing play and set up to create isolations with the FBs, but Trent the so called bad defender, stood up commendably. The only time I recall him being “beaten” was in the second half when Neto ran inside him and he was clearly let down by expecting Neto to be running into help in that area that evaporated so dont think you should really put that on Trent.

10 Likes

I think that on current form Chelsea are about the 4th best team in the Prem. So we still don’t know where we are but definitely top 3

2 Likes

3 goals conceded to city 9 and arsenal 8.

7 Likes

Always happy with 3 points against Chelsea. The performance was not the most assured, but it got the job done.

We were very good without the ball and rather mediocre with it. We ceded possession needlessly a lot of times and were rather static, but also looked really threatening when we did manage to string a few passes together.

Jones and Salah were the pick of the match, TAA was great as a traditional RB who defends first, Van Dijk and Konate were almost faultless and Nunez from the bench was excellent with almost no service at all. On the other hand, it wasn’t Robertson’s best game but he improved substantially and Szoboszlai while everywhere, was really poor in possession.

With 21 points out of 24 and lots of room for improvement, things are looking rosy. If only we could get injuries to let up, we might be on to something.

9 Likes

Did you see at the end of the game, Slots assisstant stopped him going on the field as it looked like he was going to give it to the ref.

6 Likes

Every time he opens his gob about Liverpool shit comes out and unerringly gets it wrong how sky accepts his incompetence is baffling

2 Likes

Loved this game. Fair play Chelsea who came and gave it a go. Thought we kept our heads and managed the game well, as is becoming the norm with Arne. Corporal Jones has now been promoted to Captain. He did well today, unlike the ref who was generally poor.

2 Likes

Joe Hart is actually a good pundit, calm and so far with no bias

1 Like

My main gripe today was Nev.

Its become abundantly clear that Gary Neville is filling Martin Tylers spot in terms of his anti-Liverpool bias. Its so fucking blatant and no one calls him out.

Asked for a number of bookings against our players (Salah, Nunez), called for overturns of all decisions. Called everything Chelsea did as good or not a foul (or clever).

As a working professional, surely he needs retraining.

8 Likes

More like he needs sacking!

5 Likes

Mao style

6 Likes

Firstly, he just needs to grow the fuck up in the commentators role he has - Some of his comments are just downright snide and childish

4 Likes

Jones was excellent. Szobo worries me. Chelsea did good and Caicedo was excellent for them, so was Lavia in the first half. Can’t remember any Chelsea chances other than the header in the end, Ref was piss poor.

Great way to end the weekend.

1 Like

Nobody can control the Godfather of football thats why Don Nevilleioni says what he wants.

1 Like

Seems Sobzo doesn’t worry Slot thats what matters.

3 Likes

I would have given Jones the motm if his first touch for the goal had been acceptable or his accent was clearer. Other than that, can’t complain.

4 Likes

It gets too much attention, but the comments about his contributions in the attacking third are not without some justification. From Slot and Dom directly there is an expectation that he picks up goal contributions from last season by a fair number and so far this season he is behind where he was last year. For a guy with his talent he should be contributing more in that area, and he will likely need to if hes going to be the long term solution for this role. It’s small margins in that area of the pitch though so its only small tweaks for a player of his quality and he’ll be exactly where Slot wants him to be.

7 Likes

Thats fair but far too many people only focus on the attacking aspect and give him no credit for the rest of his game.

14 Likes

From the pundit pov:

If we do well next Sunday it will be brushed aside as they have Saliba suspended. If we don’t do well it will mean we have been found out.

3 Likes

https://x.com/AnfieldSector/status/1848062017325654253
:roll_eyes:

6 Likes