Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 28/8/2021 5.30pm)

Felt like 2 points dropped given they were there for the taking. Just doesn’t work that way at times. We move on and improve I guess. It was just one of those days it looked like we were a bit cautious at the back rather than going full out for a win. Strange given we were up against 10 men. Few players lack sharpness as well. Not much came from our left today. Many players still a bit rusty.

The game was pretty equal before the sending off and they grew into the game. It would have been a good contest and would have been good for us to see how we fare against a strong Chelsea side.

3 Likes

Would have taken a draw before the game and most of the first half, gutted not to win from half time onwards.

Probably be content with it tomorrow but yeah two points dropped

2 Likes

When Chelsea were leading 1-0, I would’ve taken a point because we weren’t creating anything. No attempts on target and then the penalty, which got us out of jail. In the end, I was disappointed as we should’ve gone on to win, with Chelsea down to ten. One or two players need to have a look at their own performances today, Mane being one of them. He seems to have lost a yard of pace for me.

4 Likes

We lost some impetus when Hendo went off. Thiago never really got into it. Sometimes it is easier to play 11 than 10.
Could have done with another striker to put on to freshen things up late on. Dissapointing but onward and upward.

P*ssed right now probably due to the couple of pints. But thinking to get sponsored by colgate because with tooth looking like led we are toothless :slight_smile:

Very frustrating second half, first 10 minutes of it we tried really hard but then it fizzled out and you could see what was going to happen. Joel man of the match.

Thought that after a coupke of long shots we were quite poor in the second half. Too predictable, need to learn to put the ball back to the centre sometimes rather than looking to put the cross in all the time to a solitary little chap.
MOTM difficult, Hendo I think but was taken off (when Elliot wasn’t offering anymore. Mané was good in the 1st half as was firmino (though he didn’t offer what we needed up front.

On the corner taking, out swingers are harder to get power on, was screaming during the game for In swingers… seems like I enjoy swingers

2 Likes

No fucking way did Havertz mean that ‘brilliant header’ by the way.
It was a flick on…and he got lucky.
Lukaku rolled Joel once…and never got a sniff otherwise.
Thought we bossed it… even when we were losing.

6 Likes

I thought Matip was poor!
Can not believe that MOTM table.

It was good learning experience. It’s early in the season and we saw, again, that our usual tactics don’t work against a crammed box. Onwards and upwards. YNWA

2 Likes

Why moan about the amount of extra time…We wouldn’t have scored if we were there till next week.

2 Likes

I’m a big Mane fan but how did he stay on the pitch today, for me his worst game in a Liverpool shirt

Seems like the tactics for TAA when we have the ball was to come into midfield, with the width created by Salah and supported by Elliot.

That’s good for a mix, but I prefer Salah to be off the shoulder coming outside to inside. Get the most likely scorer closer to goal.

Agree. He is still far from his menacing best, and he needs to be, fast.

1 Like

Bobby injury played a part I imagine. Once that sub was forced onto Klopp he wasn’t gonna hook another of his front three without a pressing concern

Yep! Jota was alone in the box far too often also in the second half our ‘triangles’ down the right appeared none existant. Played far too wide imo.

1 Like

my opinion may not be a popular one but unless we get a creative midfielder like Bruno Fernandes we aren’t going to be winning the title this year as we still have the same issue opening packed defences up.

Based on this game I’d say Chelsea is the strongest team in the league this season - they were efficient, organised and probably would have won if they had 11 men on the pitch. We are probably 3rd/4th vying with United.

1 Like

What a shithouse of a second half! Would almost have prefered Chelski to stay eleven since that would have been a more open and thus better match to watch. Instead what happened was exacvtly what I feared - Chelsea stinking the place out because that’s their true DNA - can’t really hold it against them though.

We were a bit to clueless in the situations and made it too complicated. The dive mania Taylor waved through didn’t help either. Should have tried a lucky shot from outside the box from time to time.

Matip pants were down , because Lukaku in the backpocket is quite the package to schlepp all day , Elliot’s opponents were cloe to throw up from spinning constantly and Mane was a menace as well as usual - but in the end it wouldn’t click for a deserved winning strike.
Feels very much like points dropped. Meh. On to the next in … when is the pointless break again?

Absurd yes, but we weren’t scoring if there were 10 mins of injury time