Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 28/8/2021 5.30pm)

The best defensive side last season after Tuchel came in put nine men behind the ball. That’s a big old blue wall to break down but can’t help but feel it was ours for the taking and we missed that lock picker.

Thought our right was easily where we had the advantage but was frustrated we didn’t open them up more down there. Seemed Trent, Elliott and Mo all wanted to play inside and no one really stuck wide to stretch things.

Mane stunk the place out second half (didn’t see the first half) and Jota just couldn’t seem to get into the game. Felt like one of those games where an out and out forward type would have helped.

As it is, it’s a big hurdle overcome with a point and no injuries and we go into the international break in good shape.

2 Likes

Aye. We were by far the better side 11-11 just got a bit unlucky that in one moment of hesitancy at the back they got a lucky break on a goal the scorer didnt mean to score. Chelsea are a reasonable threat for the title this year and I thought we looked by far the better side. I didn’t even know Mount was playing until he made a tackle close to his own box around the 70th minute.

In terms of the failure to break them down once they went down to 10 and settled for the draw, I think it was maybe a bit early in the season. Thiago has only just returned and so was a bit rusty and Bobby was really the player we needed and he had to go off. Regardless, if you watch that, a game where the trendy pick for the title were a clear second best, and think it bodes poorly for our season I dont know what to say.

4 Likes

We should have started Jota and brought Firmino later on (replacing Mane).

We are clearly missing the old Ox shooting from outside the box, or anyone trying a long shot apart Van Dijk

We won the CL and PL with much less creative midfield than we currently have. One game is too small a sample to draw conclusions IMO - both about us and about Chelsea.

1 Like

We looked stale tbh. Felt like we would have lost 11 v 11, thank god we got the pen or we wouldn’t have scored at all. Oh well

I feel like TAA moved to the center too much. He offers more on the right.

1 Like

It’s not the midfield it’s the tactics, at least in this game.
Anyway a draw is ok.

1 Like

With Elliott in midfield, our possession does seem like getting skewed towards the right. The three of them - Salah Elliott and Trent seems to be interchanging a lot between them and the overlaps.

1 Like

Other teams have improved massively over the last 2 seasons, also teams have learned how to play against us. Also this game isn’t anything new, we have struggled to break defensive teams down all through last season and today we didn’t even look remotely close in the last 30minutes even with the man advantage.

Disagree, Elliott’s miss in late 1st half was quite a clear chance.

One half decent thought does cross my mind, I think we were the better side that Chelsea team is better but it’s going have the issues ironically we had.

I think if we shake this rustiness off and some step up we will be up in the mix for the title.

1 Like

Also Salah stayed too wide, Trent might have moved in eventually but often we had the 3 Salah, Elliot and Trent far out to the right when we needed someone pressuring their line. When Trent comes in he’s too deep to do that.
That’s a training tactics thing so is it on the players?

And then blowing the whistle after 3:07 when they “had cramp” for half of it. Look I get timewasting is a thing but the referee has to be better there.

Time wasting aside, Chelsea deserved a point — we had an entire half of them down a man and they held firm. We were positive but not incisive enough.

What got me is we didn’t look dangerous let alone like scoring.

I don’t really buy this, personally I think it was us not them today.

The final touch was poor all over, just one and it’s 2-1.

If we had taken 2 or 3 points from the last two games then I’d agree but the difference today is simply the quality, it wasn’t there this week.

3 Likes

Until Jota came in to force the issue, we weren’t look like progressing to the final third much less winning the game…

2 Likes

No one blocking that massive keeper either.

Because Mane playing shite is still far more likely to have a positive impact on a game than the alternatives Ox, Origi or Taki. Personally I think there is a big weakness in the attacking options our squad boasts compared to our title rivals, but Klopp and others don’t seem to feel that way and we have to trust their judgement.

2 Likes

I have an unpopular opinion though: Harvey Elliott and Henderson didn’t play well today. Their pass completion wasn’t there and was either overhit or underhit.

Elliot’s pressing was good though but other than that, he couldn’t get out of Jorginho’s pocket. On the other hand, Hendo was deployed on the left for majority of the match and didn’t make a single run into the box…

2 Likes