Post match: Liverpool v Inter Milan (UCL 8/3/22 8pm)

Having something in hand doesn’t necessarily mean having to use it all the time.
Just saying!

2 Likes

It’s insane that the folks in the studios (Bein, BT, CBS Sports) complained about the red card. Worse was the Bein crap pundits said that Fabinho was naughty/“clever”/cheat on getting Sanchez sent off. WTF’s wrong with these people? Arsene Wenger actually accused Fabinho cheated (there is another in the studio, Didier something, no idea who he is, another jerk off). Arsene is losing his effing marbles (actually he’s lost it since suggesting World Cup every 2 years).

Can’t even bother to comment on Rio, he’s just an idiotic pundits.

5 Likes

Non Consequential match but still no biz losing this one.

Jurgen better tear into this one and get them focussed on brighton.

1 Like

Inter Milan playing better than expected is being conflated with Inter Milan playing better than Liverpool.

They didn’t. Liverpool had the much better chances over the 2 legs and deserved to win and honestly it never looked in doubt.

11 Likes

It kinda looked a bit in doubt between their goal and the red card :wink:

It really didn’t

I have to say that xG always looks like a madey-up statistic to me but, assuming that it follows a normal distribution, it does reflect on what we saw last night: 3 shots hitting the woodwork and at least another couple stopped by last minute lunges from defenders or even just pot luck. Their goal, 9 times out of 10, would have ended up in Stanley Park.

If our players needed a wake-up call then losing 1:0 when it doesn’t matter isn’t a bad way to go about it. Well, presumably we miss out of a chunk of prize money but the progression will pay off. Just wondering who we get next. Frankly I’d have anyone as long as it isn’t another English side - what’s the point in a glorified PL fixture in a “European” Cup?

2 Likes

“The art of football is losing the right games…” very clever Peter…

1 Like

Not gonna lie, I was disappointed with that. Did enough to control the game bar the sloppy 15 minutes we gave them and they scored a belter. I hate losing games at home more than anything. Feeling a bit shit so I should have gone to bed instead.

Personally I dont see how anyone could blame VvD for the goal. The fault lies with the sloppy passing and movement that conceded possession.

Inter played one of their best games of the season whereas we were slightly above average. And yet they would have lost 99 times out of 100. As others have already said, quality-wise they are nowhere near us. If we had performed at our best, the aggregate score would have been embarrassing.

That said, this wasn’t a encouraging performance. Way too sluggish and sloppy. Some players look like they’ve played too much football recently and Brighton on a noon kickoff is going to be really difficult.

2 Likes
4 Likes

“The Art of War is losing the right battles” … Sun Tzu (well, maybe, maybe not him) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Agree.
VVD is saying if you think you can score from there…hit it.
The lad did and beat the worlds best with a screamer….well played him

1 Like

Dunno what it is,

I am happy we are through but I am sooo pissed off we lost that last night, at home, against 10 men for 1/4 of the game.

Lost v Inter and if I am honest we weren’t great v West Ham.

Be a really shit time of the season to have a dip in form.

2 Likes

Yup. In truth, Martinez should never have really have been in possession with that much time and space in that position of the field but to be fair Inter had pressured us really well into some sloppy play where we coughed up possession in a bad place and in a bad way.

that’s something that we lapse into sometimes and it honestly bugs me a bit. The opposition builds a bit of momentum and we dont stamp it out. It’s a midfield thing for me. Some may say it’s ebb and flow of the game but at the top level I believe the best sides impose themselves in a way that simply stamps this out before it gets anywhere. A minor thing I guess considering where we’re actually at. I shouldn’t really complain.

1 Like

Last night just emphasised how much better we are with Henderson on the pitch. I’ve seen people banging on about ‘dream’ midfields of Fabinho, Keita, Thiago etc but not for me.

4 Likes

Don’t know what it was but I thought Thiago was excellent up to the point when Inter stepped up. He and Jones kind of disappeared at that point.

No idea if it was legs or what, but Henderson’s introduction certainly stabilised things.

Ref was a little weird too. Let things go, then penalised everything, then nothing etc. A bit all over the show to be fair.

I hope we get Lille or Sporting Lisbon in the next round, or even better the next two!

1 Like

He didnt seem fit to be honest.

1 Like

I mean I’d probably struggle after having my leg sliced open by Sanchez too.

1 Like