• Curtis JONES
  • Diogo JOTA
  • Sadio MANE
  • Roberto FIRMINO
  • Neco WILLIAMS
  • Divock ORIGI
  • Takumi MINAMINO

0 voters

Unused subs: Adrian, Minamino, Tsimikas, Origi, Phillips, Clarkson.

:soccer: Johnny EVANS (OG) 21’
:soccer: Diogo JOTA 41’
:soccer: Roberto FIRMINO 86’

Sub: :arrow_right: Neco WILLIAMS :arrow_left: Naby Keita
Sub: :arrow_right: Divock ORIGI :arrow_left: Diogo JOTA
Sub: :arrow_right: Takumi MINAMINO :arrow_left: Sadio MANE

Never in doubt.

An interesting lineup for the first game after the latest pointless international break; our raft of injuries meant the returning Fabinho partnered Matip in central defence, while Milner came in at right back. Salah’s Covid issues gave Jota a start in the front three, while an experimental midfield saw Gini in the anchor role behind Jones and Keïta.

With Liverpool on a club record equalling 63-game unbeaten streak at Anfield in the league, much was made of the fact that the Foxes had already won at both the Emptihad and the Emirates this season; however, as the visitors were about to find out, beating mid-table dross is one thing- beating the champions on their own patch another thing entirely.

A lively start saw Baby’s shot deflected behind for a corner; Milner’s ensuing in-swinger was flicked into the side netting by Sadio at the near post. Jones, Keïta and Jota drew saves from Schmeichel in an opening quarter hour during which the visitors barely threatened; our only moment of concern came when the ball hit Matip’s hand in the box. As the old cliché goes, I’ve seen them given.

Our early threat paid off in the 21st minute as Jonny Evans, trying to keep an eye on the pesky Mané, inadvertently directed Milner’s corner from the tight past his own goalkeeper. Liverpool had the ball in the back of the net again soon afterwards but the goal was chalked off due to a supposed foul on Schmeichel. I can’t say that I saw anything wrong with the challenge- I wonder what Clem would have made of keepers being so overprotected these days.

Barnes missed a glorious chance to equalise before Matip headed over from Robertson’s corner; the same combination almost found the net just after the half hour mark, this time from our left back’s clipped free kick to the far post.

James Justin (I used to have a girlfriend who swore you could never trust a man with two “first” names, but I digress) shot wide moments before Sadio did the same at the other end. Mané might have set up the on-rushing Firmino instead of seeing his shot deflected harmlessly into Schmeichel’s hands a few minutes later- the Brazilian would surely have had a tap-in.

Jota then scored for the fourth consecutive home game, steering Robertson’s cross past the visiting keeper from about six yards. Tielemans immediately drew a sharp save from Alisson as Leicester looked to hit back before the break but the Reds headed off for their half time oranges with a two goal lead which was, in all honesty, the least they deserved.

We almost started the second stanza stunningly: Matip’s brilliant raking long pass released Robbo down the left but Hota couldn’t quite convert the flying Scotsman’s cross this time. Barnes then forced Alisson into a routine save at the other end after being released by Maddison.

Keïta pulled a hamstring five minutes into the second half- he really is made of crisps- and Neco Williams replaced him, with Milly moving into the midfield. Schmeichel thwarted Mané and Fuchs managed to head the rebound behind for a corner before Jota could nod it in. The Portuguese forward nearly scored again and Evans headed against his own post in the ensuing melee, under pressure from Firmino.

Having hit the post in the first half, Bobby was then denied by 10mm, with Albrighton dragging the Brazilian’s effort off the line before the keeper smothered Sadio’s scuffed follow-up effort. Just as it seemed as though Bobby was fated not to score at Anfield again, he rose to majestically head home Milner’s corner in the 86th minute: game, set and match.

A home game on Wednesday against Atalanta is next, and the opportunity to qualify from our group with two games to spare; we then head down to Brighton for the lunchtime kick off next Saturday. A win there and we’ll be top of the league again.

MOTM: the great Ray Clemence. I’m not someone who misses the crowds, as I focus on what is happening on the pitch, but even an old curmudgeon like me would have liked to have seen a full house at Anfield to see off Ray, one of our greatest ever players. We didn’t have the internet back in his day, of course, but I’m certain he would have won many an online man of the match award, so it’s a posthumous one for him today. Rest in peace, Clem.

36 Likes

You typed all that in two seconds?

11 Likes

Whatever he said

12 Likes

Nice to watch a game with no VAR controversy and us playing bloody well.

Like enjoying football of old… Long may it continue.

We really were excellent.

Jones my pick, fucking baller.

4 Likes

Yep. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

So much depression and doubt on here the last couple of weeks. Fuck knows why. This is the best team in the league by a mile with the best manager and coaching in the world. Of course we won.

18 Likes

What a fucking team this is. Just twatted the league leaders and put them right in their place.

Shame for Naby. Another one bites the dust.

15 Likes

Just another routine win and three points for the champions, onwards and upwards.

4 Likes

It is early as, but this really is ours to lose.

The others will have to step up to a degree that is, in my opinion, beyond them to even come close…

9 Likes

Who needs players when you got PLAYERS

5 Likes

Yeah, but the Bobby dink was over the fucking line. Goal line tech seemed to suggest so as well.

1 Like

Can we play Rodgers every week?

Delighted with the performance and Firmino’s goal, disgusted with Keita’s injury. All we need is a bit of luck with these fucking injuries and we’ll wipe the floor with the rest of the league.

4 Likes

well played that!!!

3 Likes

I think Andy Robertson can take off his cape now. The man was literally SUPERMAN out there, running the whole length of the pitch even though he’s played like 5220 minutes of football in the past couple of weeks. The guy is just locked in when he’s out there and that will to win is what carries our team these days.

I love Curtis Jones! He might have gotten a little complacent on the ball a couple of times, but the guy is just so comfortable and in control. I have dreams of him being our version of ANDREA PIRLO… did I mention that I love seeing him play for us?

And I was just CHUFFED to see Bobby finally get the goal he deserved all day. It was already a great day for him even without the goal, but this was just the icing on the cake. A great team performance against a team challenging for the CL places. We showed our desire and will today. YNWA!

18 Likes

Didn’t understand why anyone was writing us off tbh, we clearly had the better players on the pitch.

Milner MOTM, incredible. Mane, Jota, Matip, Fab, Robbo excellent too. Jones played well again.

Very pleased with that. Leicester are lucky it was only 3.

18 Likes

That was impressive. I haven’t been able to watch the European matches, but that’s the most complete performance IMO since before COVID. Leicester are a good side who have snookered Man City and Arsenal. We just pressed them into oblivion. First to everything. Jota ridiculous. Fab/Matip assured. Milner amazing. Bobby…Bobby…Bobby!!! Curtis Jones, my goodness. Vardy never got a sniff.

4 Likes

Liverpool FC in apparent absolute crises 3 - 0 Leicester (winning against all big sides).
Liverpool FC with defensive crises - clean sheet against Vardy and co who are supposedly lethal and deadly in attack!

About time for our fans to believe and our opponents to respect what we have at our disposal. We are not champions by fluke! Jurgen Klopp hasn’t built a team, he’s built a squad which can cope with literally anything!

11 Likes