Post-Match: Liverpool v Midtjylland (UCL 27/10/20 8pm)

Man of the Match
  • Alisson BECKER
  • Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
  • FABINHO
  • JOE GOMEZ
  • Andrew ROBERTSON
  • Jordan HENDERSON
  • James MILNER
  • Xherdan SHAQIRI
  • Takumi MINAMINO
  • Diogo JOTA
  • Divock ORIGI
  • Rhys WILLIAMS
  • Gini WIJNALDUM
  • Mohammed SALAH
  • Sadio MANE
  • Roberto FIRMINO

0 voters

Unused Subs: Adrian, Kelleher, Jones, Cain, N Williams.

GOAL: Diogo JOTA 55’
GOAL: Mohammed SALAH 90+3’

Sub: Rhys WILLIAMS on, FABINHO off 30’
Sub: Gini WIJNALDUM on, Jordan HENDERSON off 45’
Sub: Mohammed SALAH on, Divock ORIGI off 60’
Sub: Sadio MANE on, Takumi MINAMINO off 60’
Sub: Roberto FIRMINO on, Diogo JOTA off 81’

Never in doubt.

A much-changed line up, then, for the visit of the supposed Group D whipping boys to Anfield; although the back five remained the same as that on show against Sheffield United last weekend, the normal front three were rested and there were rare starts for Milner, Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi. Taki started through the middle, perhaps surprisingly, with Big Div to his left and our new Portuguese forward on the right. A midfield featuring Milly and Shaqs in front of Hendo did not look the most defensive on paper; it was to be hoped that we weren’t taking the visiting Danish champions too lightly.

Dreyer almost started the night off with a bang for the visitors, but Alisson was able to thwart him in the third minute but that was honestly about it as far as action went in the opening forty five minutes.

I suppose that it was little surprise that we looked so disjointed during a first half that was memorable only for yet another injury, this time to Fabinho. It looked like a muscle injury of some sort and at least he was able to walk off the pitch; Rhys Williams came in alongside Joe Gomez and generally did well.

The only other notable aspect of a particularly tedious first half was the rashness of the Midtjylland challenges; I would have expected better of them but it appears that the whole of Europe has decided that they can’t outplay the Tricky Reds so they might as well just kick us instead.

Things could only get better in the second half… couldn’t they? Klopp decided to take off Henderson and bring on Wijnaldum… perhaps as the captain has only just returned from injury himself, as intimated by the manager before the match.

Jota almost set up Taki and then Dreyer beat Robertson but crossed to the invisible man (no, not Gini) before the Reds finally broke the deadlock ten minutes into the second half, with Jota tucking home after neat interplay between Trent and Shaqs. It was the ten thousandth goal in this club’s illustrious history; to be honest, it was scarcely deserved on our showing tonight.

Cometh the hour, cometh the Mané. Sadio and Mo replaced the ineffective duo of Taki and Div; it’s still early days in the Japanese international’s Anfield career but it would appear that the cult hero Belgian is nearing the end of his.

Shaqs looked a different player once our first-choice forwards were alongside him, showing some brilliant technique and flair. If he can stay fit, he can be a valuable option from the bench or if any of our main four forwards (Jota must already be included with the usual three) is unavailable.

The rest of the game petered out into a snoozefest; Bobby should have wrapped things up in the 87th minute after Trent found him unmarked twelve yards out, but the Brazilian could only blaze over. Fortunately, Mo did finally seal the three points as we entered stoppage time as he converted a penalty with aplomb having been tripped by Paulinho in the box. The goal made the scoreline look more comfortable than the game actually was.

Anyway, six points out of six sets us up nicely for our next two group stage games against Atalanta; four points from those two fixtures and we’ll be more or less through to the knockout stages.

MOTM: whoever invented the Pot Noodle. Fed up with the envious glances cast this way by @Alright_Now whenever I have a highfalutin’ French meal, I thought I’d raise a glass to the creator of the greatest snack known to man.

Admittedly, it was a glass of 1985 Chateau Lynch Bages, but so what?

14 Likes

Saying this a lot recently but take the 3 points and get The fuck out of dodge…

We were not good, the score line flatters us massively. Worried? Yes.

Worrying about Fabinho.

10 Likes

In before the @cynicaloldgit essay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

MOTMs for me - TAA, Jota, maybe even Shaq (what a pass for the first goal!)

Bobby seemed out of sorts (again) and he should have sewn things up for us near the end. Almost cost us, luckily it didn’t.

Here’s hoping Hendo and Fab are fine, however I think we may have unearthed a gem in Rhys Williams. He looked like he definitely belonged out there and we may have another TAA in the making here.

Next stop - Anfield against West Ham!

3 Likes

Not quite.

7 Likes

Wasn’t able to watch so can’t vote. Happy for the win, less so for the injury!

1 Like

Awful performance to be honest.
Got the job done and thats what matters
Hope fabinho is ok.
Williams MOM for sure.

7 Likes

Another great performance and maximum points. Ha ha. Onwards and upwards.

2 Likes

Job done.

Next.

2 Likes

Rhys for Motm because the rest was :poop:

Tough three points as expected. These Danes aren’t bad, are they? But the lads did the job, chuffed about that! :muscle:t2:

9 Likes

I’m just going to concentrate on the scoreline,TAA was motm easily.

12 Likes

Thought Trent and Gomez did well again. Rhys also looked pretty solid when he came on. Was a pretty dire performance otherwise, and that Fabinho injury is a real concern with Atalanta and City on the horizon. Desperately need Matip fit now.

4 Likes

Like watching the Dog and Duck. Wouldn’t give anyone MOM.

Ahem…

4 Likes

how big is that Ajax win now…

3 Likes

Who are we twatting next???

Fucking bring it.

6 Likes