Post match: Liverpool v Nottingham Forest (EPL 14/9/24 3pm)

I’m worried about Mo. While his stats looked good before today, he has looked slower and easier to push off the ball this season. Do we need to change the barista or is age finally starting to catch up on him? Unfortunately when he drops deeper and slows the game we don’t look effective and I’m not sure we can really keep playing him as he has been. Either we need more pace in front (Nunez) or he needs to be playing higher or we need a different shape.

Why are we so scared to sub Salah?

Happened last season, happening now

everyone was shit and u right, i should not pick on nunez…not yet anyway

For there goal lost possession too easily on edge of there box, you can’t put the goal on him but should have been stronger.

2 Likes

@RER My point is that we didn’t lose the game because of an individual error.

The midfield changes unsettled nearly everyone and Forest capitalized.

Gravenberch, Salah, Mac Allister and Trent all got outmuscled in similar positions today. It was an issue across the team.

Of all the criticisms I’d level at Nunez, lack of physicality isn’t one of them.

2 Likes

Not unexpected for something like this to happen sooner or later. Slot is still learning this group of players and what works/doesn’t work.

Generally I think a little bit of adversity is no bad thing. Unless of course the expectation was to win the league in which case you can’t afford these kind of results because Man City are going to cheat their way to 100pts again.

But a manager’s first season is about laying foundations to build from, hopefully we learn our lessons from today.

14 Likes

I think what infuriated me was the number of passes that ended up nowhere because either the recipient didn’t anticipate where it was going or the passer didn’t anticipate where they wanted it.

I thought Szoboszlai was a major offender but it was all over. Moving Trent to midfield just made him ineffective.

TBH this is the sort of result that we needed as a wake up. Sorry, Arne, but the honeymoon is over.

3 Likes

Was a bit of both. Thought Forest defended really well and scored a brilliant goal.

Grav and Virg played well. Ali had nothing to do. The rest were shite. Not having the blame put on Trent in midfield though. He was trying and was by far our best chance of creating something.

Mac was knackered. Don’t mean to reopen a can of worms, but if Slot doesn’t trust Endo then we could really do with another 6

1 Like

First half, Diaz showing determination to get the ball and creating a chance for himself, but it hit off the post and fell kindly for Forest to clear.

Forest’s simple game plan was to defend without the ball, keep it 0-0 and then put on their two wide players, who came on and created and scored their goal. Good curling placed shot to take the lead. Bradley could’ve done better though.

I felt that the first three subs killed our play. We looked even more disjointed, and the game plan from Forest came into play with feeding the ball to Elanga and Hudson-Odoi on the break.

Our final ball was lacking, but even so, many of our players in the box seemed to be on their heels most of the time. We’ve been spoiled by Klopp’s in game management and playing with belief all the way to the whistle. Slot needs to now juggle two games a week.

1 Like

If Bradley defends better they don’t get the shot off simple as that. If it had been Trent the forum would be in meltdown.

4 Likes

Whatever adjective you choose, fair enough. But point stands.

For me Trent and Mo were the biggest offenders. I’m not a fan of Trent in midfield

The 1 saving grace for me, is Champions League starts this week, so the lads don’t have time to stew over this result, start preparing for Tuesday and we go again

1 Like

I blame the person who started the match thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Very disappointing but I kinda expected it when I saw the line up.

We never play well after internationals when we don’t rotate…hopefully a lesson learned for next month.

No one bar Ibou, Virg and Grav come away with any credit whatsoever.

The fact Arne felt obliged to make a triple sub on the hour mark, effectively surrendering the midfield just to find a late goal at home to Forest, makes me sad.

both defo had poor games

We have no real option for the right wing from the bench, unless Diaz plays there like Klopp did. But Diaz got tired and subbed off anyway, so not an option today…

1 Like

And if Slot doesn’t unsettle the midfield, Bradley is better protected.

It seems clear we won’t agree on this one, cheers. :wink: