Post Match: Liverpool v Real Madrid (UCL 21/07/23 8pm)

Really bad night, and after a first twenty where we kicked the shit out of them, Madrid totally outplayed us.

But we were also desperately unlucky with a couple of the goals, and It got messy because we were trying to get forward which allowed Madrid space to pick us off.

My positives were Nunez continuing to be fucking menace and Bajcetic looking totally at home in a big game.

No-one played particular badly, apart from Fabinho who was an absolute fucking horror show, to be frank.

10 Likes

Here here.

Lesson from tonight: Teams can be both lucky and good.

5 Likes

We started really well but let them back in with stupid defending and goalkeeping errors.

They went from being all over the place to European Champs after the 2nd goal. Deserved to win :clap::clap:

We still have a chanceā€¦YNWA

Utter shite.

Head down and get what we can from the league this year. Serious work needs to be done on the squad in the summer.

3 Likes

Alright Iā€™ll be honest - that didnā€™t go as well as planned and Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s because I moved seats. My bad.

Positive side is that if we play like we did in the opening 30 minutes for the rest of the season then Iā€™m pretty confident we will get 4th. Having said that the fact we have to play in a.manner that hides our midfield is clearly a glaring weakness - itā€™s one we have to our best with though because we donā€™t really have anyway of changing it.

4 Likes

BT commentators have said about 5 times now that we need to go to Madrid and score 4 goals to go through.

Serious question, am I missing something, surely it is 3 goals, extra time, and we go through on penalties ?!

4 Likes

Yeah, weā€™ve let some players legs go on our pitch. Fabinho and Gomez are both stealing a living at this stage. Stooped to head a free kick in and ffs Joe, get in the way or get out of the fucking way. All this turning your back shit is, wellā€¦ fucking shit. We literally gifted them four goals, Iā€™m at a fucking loss at how powderpuff weā€™ve become.

At this point I wouldnā€™t care if I heard Klopp lost his marbles and hoisted Gomez and Fabinho over his firepit at home and had a spit roast because theyā€™re fucking shit. To say they look like they canā€™t be arsed is an understatement. Iā€™m highly pissed off.

Our own worst enemies. After getting thrashed against Brentford, Brighton and Wolves we couldnā€™t expect much more. After the great start to this game we just threw it away with mistake after mistake. The only bright spot was our youngster in midfield. A total shambles second half.

1 Like

My only concern now is how this impacts on games going forward.

Not bothered about the second leg really, hopefully allows for some players to get game time nothing else.

Went for Nunez he was the most impressive.

3 Likes

Great round up and assessment :+1:

Thought it was his worst game for us so far. He was a bit casual and not quite as sharp as he has been. Possibly the situation, possibly too many gamesā€¦ was just off his high standard over the previous 3-4 games.

7 Likes

We love making things difficult for us, but looks like we took things a little too far this time.

2 Likes

Sweeting OUT! :yum:

3 Likes

yep said the same

1 Like

I thought it would be a cagey 0-0. Shows how much I know about CL football.

We clearly came out the gates full of confidence, buzzing off our two rare wins. Surprise, surprise, Real worked out pretty quickly how easy to play through we are, though, and that second half were utterly dominant.

Positives? Erm, Salah has his mojo back a bit, even if the final shot isnā€™t quite there, and Nunez is starting to live up to his potential.

But letā€™s be honest, we all knew the huge changes we need in midfield and defence were still there, even if theyā€™ve been masked a bit recently. I get that we were a bit more gung-ho today as itā€™s a cup, but God, we better tighten things up v Palace or we may get Brightoned/Brentforded again.

1 Like

Had my stream gone tits up after 20 minutes I would have rather enjoyed that.

I canā€™t see us rescuing this in the second leg but Iā€™ve seen more unlikely things.

Itā€™s making it more obvious where we need to spend. The midfield is leaning heavily on Bajčetić who is still 18 for heavens sakes. If we sort that we can build around the rest but I think another CB is needed.

However, it looks like that old clichƩ of concentrating on the league.

3 Likes

we were so well beaten all over the park, i cant even pick one player to scapegoat and bitch aboutā€¦ lets see :thinking: Keita? yes it was keitaā€™s fault

I thought the energy and commitment was still there. He was just up against better players to be honest.

You try taking on Modric in the middle of the park at 18! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We started well, good pressing and aggressive when needed. ā€œUnlucky not to score a third one. it looked like a proper European night at Anfield. Thought we were the better team until they levelled the score.

Second half utterly disappointing. Sums up our swearing really. Disorganised, aloe and lots of individul mistakes. Obviously canā€™t afford being this sloppy in CL, let alone against Real Madrid.

Hard to pick MotM, no one really stood out. Think the captain drove the team first half and liked Nunez, but they were e far from perfect

1 Like