Post Match: Liverpool v Real Madrid (UCL 21/07/23 8pm)

Well, I guess Carlo ultimately got the last laugh.

1 Like

I just hope this loss doesnā€™t sap any momentum this club had in league play.

3 Likes

Love the kid, and heā€™s got a huge future ahead for us, but I donā€™t think he looked at home tonight. Looked like the boy among men that he was. Will have learned a lot from this!

1 Like

Pointless discussion :rofl:

There were a few moments where he struggled largely because this is Real Madrid, and they can make anyone look like a prick if they feel like it, let alone an 18 year old lad.

But he didnā€™t hide, he continued to show for the ball, and got stuck in. His passing was crisp and he broke up play as much as he could.

He was still comfortably our best midfielder, if not the man of the match.

2 Likes

He was also playing next to a fucking donkey to be fair - hard enough to handle Sean Longstaff when youā€™re partnered with Fabinho never mind Luca Modric.

2 Likes

Just left the ground. Was awesome up until Alis mistake. Then the wheels well and truly fell off. That deflected 3rd was a real sucker punch.

Was in the Kenny standā€¦and surrounded by loads of Madrid fans. Nearly kicked off a few times.

6 Likes

Well said Wyld.

3 Likes

Itā€™s embarrassing looking at our options to change midfield on the bench, 18 year old starting with the slowest midfielder in the world and a captain who can run for half a game. But what do we expect with owners like FSG and all the fans that get upset on here when we ask for proper investment. Like I said weeks ago you guys will be bugging up Europa conference league next season.

Said the same after Barcelona? At half time in Istanbul?

Never give upā€¦

2 Likes

If Carlsberg did home defeats in a CL gameā€¦

Getting beat like this needs to hurt every single one of those players for weeks to comeā€¦ Heads dropped after the Alisson clanger!
Shit happens

1 Like

Two goals up. First was good approach play, and a sublime finish from Darwin. Second was a gift.
What Real did well was to get back quickly into the match. Vinicious Jr with an excellent shot from a crowded area, albeit Gomez couldā€™ve been tighter to him. The second was a howler by Alison, who had just made a class save right before the error.

HT 2-2. From being two up, a draw was good to take into the dressing room, especially as needed Andy to keep us in it just before the break. On the flip side, we couldā€™ve been three up had we bundled the ball over the line.

Second half was a complete disaster. Jarring for me was the third goal by Militao. We needed to be alert, but conceded from a set piece. Adding to injury, we were complete shit with our own corners/freekicks. The other goals were more about Real pouncing on any small error (and one of those days when an error was mixed with luck deflection etc).

We had our own chances, but didnā€™t take them whereas they did with theirs. How Fab stayed on the pitch all game is a mystery. The midfield looked shattered, but the first changes made was up top. Modric bursting through the middle bypassing or midfield shouldā€™ve caused instant changes.

Never got going in the second half. Nice whipped in cross by Milner to Jota, who miscontrolled the ball when free in the area. Kind of sums up our forward play in that half. Had 20 minutes when the fifth went in. Really needed to conjure up out third. Instead, need to be clinical in the second leg.

I canā€™t hear a thingā€¦

Doctor Strange Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

[quote=ā€œjabu, post:38, topic:3391, full:trueā€]
we were so well beaten all over the park, i cant even pick one player to scapegoat and bitch aboutā€¦ lets see :thinking: Keita? yes it was keitaā€™s fault
No, no, no! Iā€™m not having that. It was all Lovrenā€™s fault.

I said what I wanted to say and felt like saying in the match thread.
May as well paste it here since I donā€™t have anything better than that to say at the moment:

Some behave as if this is a massive loss to a midtable team. I am not embarrased by this. We are having a terrible season, canā€™t go around expecting us to march all over Real Madrid. I predicted a narrow loss, this is worse than that, but we were still brilliant in the first half, much of it at least and it is a known problem that we are mentally fragile these days.
No reason to be more dramatic than this result and game deserves imo.

I will treasure the first 20 min of the game for quite a few days and then I am looking forward to next season and hope for better rythm and rhyme then. We probably need a rebuild, will take a few years maybe, but I am confident we will be better than we have been this season next season.
And thatā€™s all I have.

10 Likes

Winning an away match 3 nil is not the craziest thing to have ever have happened in a football match ! Of course we can do it

1 Like

Actually thought that Hendo and Fab played as well as they could have and the midfield was on the whole functional - w/o being inspirational. You could say we were unlucky but thatā€™s the way of it. Shape up or ship out and we shipped 5ā€¦

I expected a 2-2 or even 3-2 tonight :flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

thank u for your service @rupzzzā€¦ u guys were loud, defiant and proud!!

2 Likes

What a rancid, freaking joke. Totally predictable joke, given the lack of squad depth, but a rancid, freaking joke nonetheless. Humiliating.

F*CK off, FSG.

Pardon me for my angst.

1 Like