Post Match: Liverpool v Sheffield Utd (EPL 24/10/20 8pm)

Yeah, he was off. Such a shame though.

1 Like

Coming back after letting in a goal, something that Shitty struggle with. All good.

Now the bad. VAR again. This challenge some refs would not even give a free kick. Those that would, would only give when outside the penalty area. If inside the area, most refs wouldn’t give it. But with a free kick deemed, then VAR protocol takes over. Cue a pen on a technicality.

5 man defence, and making snide challenges a la Burnley. Early reducer on Mo, and then plenty of kicks here and there. At the opposite end, their lanky No. 9 spent more time flat on the floor from flopping then actually standing. His (unintentional) rake on Jordan’s ankle may give our skipper cause to miss the next match if our luck continues as it is.

Anyway, we then got back into the match, with a delightful cross from Henderson, save from the keeper, but the parry fell kindly to Bobby. First Anfield goal in the league since blah blah.

Brilliant by Mo but his effort was offside. But the touch was magical. How he didn’t get on the scoresheet is a mystery in this match, he did well.

Jota was in an unfamiliar role, and was disjointed at times in the first half But he never stipped, and carried the ball well. Deserved his headed goal for the winner. Went off with an ice pack, which I think was from a few minutes before his goal, when a follow through challenge clattered him.

Mane was sublime at times with his runs. Got rugby tackled as well, but that’s allowed against us. Marriner needs to be pensioned off.

8 Likes

Don’t forget the Salah goal chalked off by Varsical never offside I am afraid we will be 11 against 12 all season now apparently the VAR only told Mariner it was inside the box not that it was a peno but both of them got it wrong ball outside the box and no foul we should have won 3:0

6 Likes

Has VVD played enough games in order to officially receive a PL medal?

Jota, very quickly becoming my favourite player, could easily have given man of match to him. I don’t really like him in that position, still, class.

Joe was solid on defence so gave man of match to him.

2 Likes

Not exactly an exciting match we didn’t really had control of the game in the first half. Second half was better, but still not up to standard. It was really scrappy throughout the game. Hendo was immense in midfield, we need him to be healthy for the whole season. Gini was alright, but I still think he doesn’t have a lot to offer in the final third. Jota was lively in midfield, but I rather see him replace Bobby in that false 9 spot. It was a great goal from him to put us on the top. Watching Mo sometimes is frustrating, on one end he’ll produce those exquisite moments of brilliance, and on the other end, if he sometimes pass instead of shoot, we would’ve been out of sight in many games. Today was no exception. If after this season we had to sell one of three, I would sell Mo to get Mbappe.
Our defense was good enough today, but I see a lot of teams are gonna play a lot of long ball against us. Without VVD our aerial presence is really suppressed. Joe and Fab is not exactly dominating in the air, this is the part of our game that I’m worry about. Hopefully Matip is back soon.
Overall scrappy win but 3pts is in the bag, on to West Ham we go.

YNWA

2 Likes

That was a very good assist by Mane for Jota’s goal. Left footed, yet inch perfect cross above the defenders dipping at the right time for Jota to head it in. Mane never gives a less than 8/10 performance.

1 Like

I thought we were the better team overall but we made hard work of it. From getting anxiety because of Adrian, I’m now extremely nervous about our defence. We just don’t look comfortable or ever in control at the back. Unlike most teams that come to Anfield, Sheffield Utd didn’t park six buses and had a right go, it nearly paid off for them as well.
Once again though, we were done over by VAR for the penalty, totally the wrong decision in my opinion. I can’t say if Salah was offside or not for his goal because I haven’t seen it properly.
What I will say is VAR is sucking the enjoyment from the game. I don’t celebrate a goal anymore because I’m expecting it to be disallowed every time. It’s total shit!

4 Likes

He was well offside mate. No complaint about that. Looked it real time, VAR confirmed it.

8 Likes

Contrast the Maguire decision with the pen given against us today. Its simply beyond a fucking joke.
We did enough to win, Gomez will have silenced the doubters with that performance. Jota was my MoM, to come here and claim a starting slot given our front 3 speaks volumes about his quality.

9 Likes

That was a typical hard work result. Not much to shout about but 3 points is all that matters. If we can grind them out we will gain confidence and pull ahead in this league again.
I thought they all played well tonight with the possible exception of Gini who looked a bit half arsed…great to have our keeper back! Next…

2 Likes

He was offsides, not even close.

2 Likes

Gave it to Jota, nice goal and he worked his socks off but I thought we were poor especially after the ridiculous penalty.

But 3 more points and Becker is back, now if Thiago can be fit for next weekend, that would be nice.

4 Likes
13 Likes

jota speaks better english than Rooney or carregher

13 Likes

quite often I can barely make out what Carragher is saying!

3 Likes

[quote=“Nobluff, post:44, topic:1069, full:true”]
Has VVD played enough games in order to officially receive a PL medal?[/quote]

Yes! 5 games needed. Everton was matchday 5.

3 Likes

I didn’t like Chris Wilders disgraceful jacket,i hope they lose every time he wears it.

4 Likes

The ‘Pundits’ Owen and Giggs putting a big circle and zooming in on Mane with his arms raised a bit for Salah not passing and instead hitting the post.

3 Likes

That’s the bastard bit.

3 Likes

Another 3 points in the bank, and pretty clear I think that a fairly low points total is gonna win this season, at least when you think of the dizzying pace we needed to maintain in the last two.

Noice.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes