Post Match: Liverpool v Southampton (EPL 27/11/2021 3pm)

That Southampton side is completely unrecognizable from just one year ago. No identity, no motive, no clue. To think they paid £20M for Adam Armstrong. Ralph’s project is adrift and I posted in the Prematch discussion, I do feel for him. He’s class.

Workmanlike, blue collar effort from our boys today. Went about our business and did the job. Fantastic lineup picked by The Boss, perfect substitutions and NO INJURIES! Scoreline likely could/should have been much uglier.

I thought the match started oddly scruffy. Missed passes, the ball looked like it didn’t want to roll, a few of our boys caught between decisions. But everyone settled in and was able to get it done. Something feels….shaky….with out backline, as a unit. I don’t know how to properly articulate it yet but I want to rewatch the match.

As an aside, Konate is one of my favorite players in the team. I just ask those that have been critical of him to give him some time. He’s still a young man, playing sporadic minutes. I’m sure it’s difficult. Even Ox and Tiago talked about this very thing after the Arsenal match, specifically how difficult it is for them to be in and out of the starting XI for various reasons as it destroys any momentum, fitness and rhythm. And they are experienced professionals, so I’m sure it’s an even bigger challenge for a young man like Ibou playing in a brand new league.

9 Likes

Was Boxing Day actually, a few different things at the moment to last year.

It is their cup finals and if they are as shit as they have been they will kick lumps out of us instead it’s ironically more of a worry for me rather than expecting something.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought they pressed quite well and recognized that we like to pass it around a bit at the back to get a feel for things. Fab and Thiago in particular were a bit slow to react to the early pressure from Saints and gave the ball away in some very dangerous areas.

3 Likes

Anyone who didn’t see the game and has sky they can watch the game in full on sky at 8.30 it’s game of the day.

Sadio nearly scored an absolute screamer. Could have been 7-3. Watching us is brilliant at the moment.

4 Likes

IMO, Sadio is unlucky to be so far down the list. It’s just that there were lots of good performances today and as we can only pick 3 he’s dipped out. There were a couple or three times when we were in good positions and he overhit the pass and the ball went out of play. He certainly had a 7/10 game IMO (again).
As to our performance as a whole, we were back to our (mostly) best. We did what was needed and then managed the game. No injuries and p,ayers subbed to rest the starters and give the subs some more minutes. Just a quick note on Taki. I watched him chase a Soton player from their half to the touchline next to our 18 yard line. He teamed up with Trent and dispossessed him. Great attitude and work rate from him. :nerd_face:

9 Likes

I don’t think anyone ever doubted those aspects of his game.

1 Like

I did vote for Sadio with one of my 3 votes but you are absolutely spot on here Commando. I don’t want to make it sound critical of any of the boys but each of our forwards missed passes today that likely would have resulted in goals. Again, not at all a critique, each of them worked at an extremely high level.

One other thing I’ve been noticing more with Sadio is he wants to take defenders on 1:1 on the edge of the box but he doesn’t have a deep bag of tricks. He doesn’t have the innate ball control and footwork that Mo has, Sadio relies on more of his first step burst and Bull rush to get around a defender. However when he brings the ball to a stop he’s rarely able to beat his man.

I had already jumped out of my seat thinking the ball was going in top corner from the strike outside the box. It was a beautiful hit.

I am likely being overly dramatic and everything will be ok, but I am extremely nervous about being without Sadio and Mo in January for AFCON duty.

3 Likes

Fair play, appreciate the responses.

Having just watched the first half though, I can’t say I agree. I thought Mane was miles better than Thiago and Jota. His pass to Robertson for Jota’s first is sublime, his run for Jota’s second takes the defender away and leaves Jota with a tap in. He offered a consistent threat in behind as well as dropping deep and linking up play the best out of the front 3. His header for the disallowed goal was excellent, it’s a shame he went a step too early.

Quietly, it’s an immense performance from him in that half, I thought he was the best player on the pitch along with Alisson (Robbo not far behind).

11 Likes

Personally wouldn’t be extremely concerned if we have the entire squad to choose from. Ox/ Taki/ Origi - Bobby - Jota should be good cover for few games especially if we would have Hendo, Thiago, Fab, Ox, Jones, Milly all fit and able to contribute and create from midfield. Our midfielders have started scoring which is a good sign. Not saying it wouldn’t impact, but we would find some solution.

Also today I felt our squad depth is really good if we would stay injury free. We are better drilled and the likes of Kostas instead of Robbo, Jota instead of Bobby doesn’t impact our overall game as it may for others. It’s just our players seem way more injury prone including being at the end of those reckless challenges more often than others, otherwise quality wise we have a nice squad with players bringing in different qualities.

3 Likes

LiverGOALs

2 Likes

Injury free? We play Neverton on Wednesday. We’ll be down to the bare bones of a squad on Thursday morning if Big Dunc has anything to do with it. :rage:

8 Likes

It’s like sometimes things feel too easy for them and they take liberties with flicks, passes, shielding, overly clever first touches. ABC we cough up possession

Sadio’s pass in the build up to the first goal - filth!

5 Likes

Not sure why they went the way they did considering they’ve been tight in other games and got results.

Considering how attacking we are, credit to their manager who was being honest.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this I’m wondering if our apprent openess has been a ploy to encourage the teams that sit in and try and hang on be a bit more open. If your a basement dweller and you know we aren’t giving up any chances your not going to commit too many forward but now your thinking you may get a goal it gives a more risk reward.

3 Likes

12 clean sheets in 20 games this season,
Scored 2+ goals in 17 (seventeen) consecutive games.

1 Like

think dr evil GIF by VfL Wolfsburg

Yep I have him second behind Jota. Really impressive performance. I think had he finished off a chance he would have been up there with the rest.

2 Likes

I thought it might be an idea say if they conceded early but it sounds like they had it planned regardless.

I really expected a City type display from them but when I saw Jota had scored after 5 mins I was wondering what they would do.