Post match: Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 16/12/20 8pm)

Man of the match
  • Alisson BECKER
  • Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
  • Rhys WILLIAMS
  • FABINHO
  • Andrew ROBERTSON
  • Jordan HENDERSON
  • Gini WIJNALDUM
  • Curtis JONES
  • Mohamed SALAH
  • Roberto FIRMINO
  • Sadio MANE

0 voters

Unused subs: Kelleher, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Minamino, Origi, Phillips, N Williams

:soccer:26’ Mohamed SALAH
:soccer:90’ Bobby FIRMINO

Never in doubt.

The top two in the table; two “charismatic” managers; a team which has just ended a thirty year drought hosting a side whose wait for the title is double that. After all the hype, mind games and anticipation… surely 0-0 could be the only possible result?

The Reds were unchanged from the laboured draw at Fulham on Sunday, with the exception of Rhys Williams coming in for the injured Joel “made of crisps” Matip. We have had a habit of raising our performances against our supposed rivals of late and, of course, our home form has been pretty much flawless for two seasons, so the Anfield faithful must have been hoping for a much improved showing than the one down by the Thames.

There was a rousing round of applause for the late, great Gérard Houllier from the two thousand fans on the Kop before the match. So much has been written and said since his passing away on Monday that it is impossible to add anything new; may he rest in peace.

A fairly even opening ten minutes led to the first real chance of the match, with Firmino heading Robbo’s free kick towards the far corner but it was easily saved by Lloris. Salah twisted and turned in the penalty area a few minutes later but was eventually crowded out- the ball hit Dier’s arm in the process, but was there a VAR check? No. Would there have been one at the other end? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

A lovely move from Robertson down the left led to Salah slightly scuffing his shot straight at Lloris. Spurs were not so lucky in the 26th minute, as the Tricky Reds took the lead their play fully merited. Jones wriggled into the box and laid the ball off to Salah, whose deflected shot looped over the stranded Lloris off Alderweireld. Jones drew a smart save from the French goalie a few minutes later; it was all one-way traffic.

Lo and behold, Son whipped the ball past Alisson and equalised in the 33rd minute. Looked offside to me, but we should be used to decisions going against us by now. All that VAR showed was a distant image from the stands; had it been us, the lines would have been drawn and redrawn to the umpteenth degree until our player’s stray pubic hair had been shown to be offside.

Bobby and Sadio both drew saves from Lloris; the latter, in particular, might have done better. As the players trudged off for their halftime oranges, everybody was wondering how the scores were level. Spurs had done nothing; we had wasted loads of chances; the refs had shafted us with the non-offside and by not booking any of their players for repeated nightly fouls, especially on Wijnaldum in midfield.

Bergwijn and Kane drew saves from Alisson early in the second half, as the visitors started the brighter. Mané had a half chance and Salah forced Lloris into a scrambling save as the home side gradually found their feet; Betgwijn then hit the post, with Fabinho on hand to sweep away the rebound. Kane won the header from the corner but nodded into the ground and over.

Bobby then fired straight at the ‘keeper- again- after being set up by Sadio; Salah shot tamely at the keeper seconds later. Mané then had a shot deflected onto the bar, having escaped Aurier’s attentions.

The rest of the game was attack versus defence, with Spurs trying to hit us on the counter attack. Then, as the clock ticked into the ninetieth minute, Bobby outmanoeuvred Alderweireld in the area and met Robbo’s corner with a thumping header. Lloris was rooted to the spot and the Reds had the lead they deserved.

Three points- just. We were profligate; the officials were giving us nothing; our players looked knackered. And there isn’t much time for rest, either, as we have the early kick off on Saturday at Palace.

MOTM: Boris Johnson, for showing clear leadership and direction during this testing time and proving beyond question that people’s lives matter more to him than their votes.

Not really; he’s a cunt.

26 Likes

YOU FUCKING KNOW IT!!!

And ruined Mourinho night.

12 Likes

YERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Haha Mourinho going mad at Klopp makes it even better!

10 Likes

Not gonna lie…

Will pleasure myself to the Caf tonight.

Don’t judge me…at least I am honest about it.

@PeachesEnRegalia wanna Zoom it?

16 Likes

That would have been one of the most undeserved one point they would have stolen and gone home. Not to be. Fans surely made an impact, it was so last season - typical 2-1. Just not giving up, relentless throughout.

PS. Keita was excellent, what a cameo :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

Spur’s heads have gone and you fucking love it.

6 Likes

Poll needs Fab not Matip or I’ve voted for someone not on the pitch :smiley:

1 Like

Professional shitousery defeated.

Gini clear MOM utter class all night.

20 Likes

As I said before, and as Mourinho found out two years ago to the day when he managed scum and Xherdan did the late show thing, parking the bus works great until you are behind. Just for kicks, he got to find that out tonight — twice. Big big big big big big big 3 points.

5 Likes

And guess what…we did not use a single substitute. What fitness issues?

3 Likes

f i hate jose i hate his football was gutted when we conceded a very naïve goal but yes we won with make shift defence with kids

2 Likes

I did ask about goals from corners, ergo, I am claiming this one.

7 Likes

There’s something that @Alright_Now wants you to knowww, glorious football that deserved three fucking points

20 Likes

Fucking love it.
Depleted squad
Playing against 13 men every week.
Still don’t give a fuck

Top of the league.
Get in red men.

11 Likes

14 Likes

We smashed them, proper proper good performance… Thank fuck Bobby remembered how to score!

What a result, they parked the bus and fucking lost… Cry cry mou.

17 Likes

I hated this match. Not how we played, but how this could have easily rewarded that utter Mourinho shite and that cunt of a ref. Thank fuck Bobby had the last laugh

19 Likes