Post match: Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 30/4/23 4.30pm)

If that is true, and I don’t think it is, but if it is, it only because of the reason I have already given - post game narratives always massively over weight events that happen later in the game.

I mean fuck, it was not even a one off. It was a reckless, player-endangering challenge that was happening in the context of Spurs’ only response to their ineptitude being to start putting in wild challenges all over the park, all allowed by a ref who either saw nothing wrong with them or decided in the context of the game they were acceptable (you cannot send a player off when they’re already 3-0 down in the first half, that would be unfair).

7 Likes

We could use the same excuse as Jota got the ball before contact was made with Schipp.

Both were red card offenses,the 2nd wouldn’t have happened had the ref done his job first time round.I couldn’t believe he didn’t even think it warranted a look at VAR,a card been given or a free kick at the least.

3 Likes

Well, then there is no way that we gonna see an English Referee team refereeing a world cup semi-final or finals or an English referee team to referee non-English Uefa Con League/ Europa/ UCL final.

Quite a shame that the sport where it gets formalised in fails to get any sort of representative in refereeing finals if no English teams are playing in the finals.

To be fair and completely impartial, there should of been two red cards in the game:

• Skipp for smearing blood over Jota’s boots.
  • Accumulated red for Richarlison (yellow for shirt off, yellow for shitty tattoos, yellow for making fun of chickens).

[quote=“Nobluff, post:246, topic:3499, full:true”]
To be fair and completely impartial, there should of been two red cards in the game:

• Skipp for smearing blood over Jota’s boots.
  • Accumulated red for Richarlison (yellow for shirt off, yellow for shitty tattoos, yellow for making fun of chickens).[/quote]

Don’t forget the obliqritory yellow card to every Tottenham player for wearing such hidiously ugly shirts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Anthony Taylor and Michael Oliver are both in the UEFA elite category and over the past few years have regularly got appointments that reflect that.

Oliver seems to be on a faster track based on the number and profile of games they got at the recent Euros and world cup, but a quick check shows Taylor has also been appointed to a UEFA super cup final, the national league final and the world club final in the past 2 years.

1 Like

It’s not knee jerk. We started like a house on fire and then took our foot off the gas and invited them back into the game by being sloppy and complacent.

We failed to control the game in any way and didn’t create anything of note after the penalty.

I’d say the knee jerk reaction is letting a Jota winner disguise the fact we were out played for most of the game.

2 Likes

We weren’t outplayed for most of the game. Knee jerking again.

2 Likes

Another thing. I think the stats showed 12 free kicks for Spurs and 6 for us. How is that possible? (Retorical question, I know how it’s possible). We had twice the amount of possession and give away twice the amount of free kicks.

3 Likes

Yeah i agree with this. It was a bad challenge, but to point fingers as an excuse for something that happened later in the match drives me nuts, which was the point i was trying to make poorly.

Well, it wasn’t a red card offense because he kicked a fella in the head that should have had a red earlier is the whataboutery bs that i hate. If Jota hadn’t kicked the guy, we may remember that one dirty tackle from earlier in the game, but as no-one was actually hurt i doubt it.

1 Like

It’s not knee jerk to have a different opinion.

Between our third and full time they were the better team.

They created more, scored three and hit the woodwork twice. We didn’t do much but invite them back into the game with silly mistakes and a failure to control the game.

Don’t actually know how anyone could argue we were the better side between minute 15 and 94. They made a tactical switch and started to play the more effective football, we passed it round at the back, pinged long balls to Salah and left great big gaps in midfield as per usual.

2 Likes

Is that a fair description of the debate though? Isnt it more a case of eye rolling about the complaining of Jota being on the pitch to score the winner because he previous kicked a player who himself arguably shouldnt have been on the pitch.

Most people are excusing the challenge because it is not normally one that results in a red card. The comments here are more responding to the imbalanced of the narrative around the implications of it

5 Likes

What switch did they make? I didnt see anything and Klopp’s own comments said it was their lack of adjustment to going 3 behind that gave us problems. What I saw were issues entirely of our own making - we dropped intensity to keep the ball in their third yet also didn’t plug the holes at the back that exist when we’re pressing effectively.

4 Likes

We still remember Kane flying in 2 footed on Robbo when Kane should have been sent off and Robbo wasn’t hurt.We don’t remember it because Robbo was later sent off as he deserved to have been ,we remember it because it was a bad challenge .

5 Likes

The game I saw had us start fast and blow them away. 3-0 quick fire. Ideally we could have added another couple and that was that. Or ideally we would have controlled the game from then on, and Spurs would have been chasing shadows. That’s the sort of thing Man City (cheats) can do.

Instead, it’s a fair observation to say we took our foot off the pedal.

Spurs didn’t play good football to dazzle us, or anything like that. Instead they battled and hit us on the counter a few times. They had to, as without it the game was gone for them.

Sloppy on our part more than anything.

Then in the end, Jota’s winner was lovely. Like all reds I’d rather a nice stroll and a 4-0 win, but the last gasp winner was a real joy. I was screaming and shouting with my lad, going crazy watching it. A 4-0 stroll would not have given the same emotion or memory, but the easy points would have been nice in their own way.

It’s all part and parcel of why I love the game.

We were much better than them.
Then careless and played within ourselves, for a long stretch.
They fought back and equalized with the pantomime villain.
And the script was written for a last gasp winner.

Love it.

2 Likes

Dropped Kulusevski back into a midfield three and put Son up top with Kane. Allowed them to push the wing backs wider and further up.

Basically gave them a better platform and more threat up top. Their first comes from Peresic breaking forward and Porro is the other free man in the box with Kane. Their second is a result of Peresic being higher and wider as an out ball and Son playing further forward so even when Kane drops between lines they still have a threat up top.

We were shite after we went 3-0 up but it wasn’t just that that allowed them back into the game. The irony being they subbed off both wingbacks and it was Moura who came on who then got us back into the game.

They were both definite red card challenges, no further discussion to be had about it really.

Actually a miracle Diaz managed to continue at all despite just coming back from a serious injury…and with Skipp hopefully the lad is ok.

He got a knock in the head ffs, he’ll live. My 3 year old gets worse weekly coming off his bike

2 Likes

Just sayin’

6 Likes

It was a far more dangerous challenge than Jota’s, if we’re talking about potential severity of injury

5 Likes