Post match: Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 30/4/23 4.30pm)

6 Likes

The reporter was 100% trying to follow up. JĆ¼rgen was having none of it. The reporter tried about three times.

Iā€™m really interested in what Tierney said, but if Klopp didnā€™t want to say it, then so be it.

3 Likes

I saw him not give two possible red cardsā€¦one to each sideā€¦he gave us a penalty but did not give a possible one to them (the one Souness thought was) ā€¦ it was a passionate encounterā€¦both sides arguably could have complaints about key decisions.

I wonder if Klopp will make a complaint about the incident? Are you even allowed to make a complaint about a referee? They seem to be a protected species.

3 Likes

Ours it was impossible not to give. Player tripped over in the box. Obvious.

Konate wrapping his arms around a defender would have been extremely soft. Keep in mind Spurs train to dive so it looked worse than it was. Very light contact.

Not comparable penalty shouts.

Both teams should have played with a player less. Just we should have played 2/3rds of the match one man up (and the extra fatigue that would have on the Spurs players) while Spurs were robbed of 5 minutes.

9 Likes

I donā€™t think soā€¦because we concede in transitionā€¦ The midfield allows opponents (when they lose the ball) to create so many chances when our defense is caught early and unable to get organized.

1 Like

100% will be handled behind closed doors. Probably mentioned it at the post match press conference to make sure the referees association canā€™t brush it under the carpet, plus to send a message to the fans that itā€™s being handled. Hopefully heā€™s got Tierney by the short and curlies with the comment and we never see that fuckface in one of our matches again.

3 Likes

6 Likes

No point, he put in a complaint a few years ago involving the same refā€¦they donā€™t get punished. Theyā€™re told they canā€™t officiate for a week or canā€™t official a Liverpool game for a month and back they come until we witness a repeat of all their mistakes then recycled.

They donā€™t even get punished when they elbow a player in the face ffs and yes knowing the the FA they will 100% investigate Kloppā€™s reaction to Jotaā€™s goal and give him a 3 match touchline ban and a 100k fine.

1 Like

This will test the water to see if Howard Webb, is as incompetent and corrupt, as Mike Riley was when the first complaint about Tierney went in

3 Likes

Just going make the pointā€¦

Tierney was ref for Arsenal 3 games ago, in those three games weā€™ve had one yellow card, 3 that day, 4 today, how Spurs had 2 less than us is beyond me.

4 Likes

Just been on Sportsmole to see Tierneyā€™s record of officiating. It states he was born in 1980 on December 25th - Christmas Dayā€¦! What a gift he was to his Mother ehā€¦ Was also going to say what a gift he was to his Father as wellā€¦ but after witnessing him today, I doubt he ever had oneā€¦!

Itā€™s clear why itā€™s done - VAR can overturn linesmen when they get it wrong, and there would be no way to reward the attacking team if the linesmen got it wrong.

The Son offside was close enough that I think the linesman made the right choice not to flag for it, but one of the earlier ones was miles off and the lino was just clearly lazy.

Do agree it creates a false impression and false pressure on defences.

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t the situation pretty much like in the away game, where if Kane/Skipp had been sent off rightfully when they were, then the other potential red card situation would not exist in the first place?

In that sense, itā€™s very disingenuous to suggest that the refereeing was balanced because each team ā€œevadedā€ a red card.

4 Likes

Clearly lazy as you say, but they donā€™t have any incentive to flag at any timeā€¦ not defending them, they are on a hiding to nothing. If the rule gets changed, then maybe, the linesman/woman have no choice but to earn their corn each game. Too much ā€˜Ducking Outā€™ of responsibility by these individuals, is spoiling the game once more for the many spectators.

2 Likes

what a horror show , we were lucky beyond luck . defence Robertson has no awareness bombs forward leaving 2 against 2 and there seem no direction from the bench , kanes goal he sees him runs past him and try to head the ball . konate and vvd weak is the best characterization . curtis scored well done other than that useless , the other one was is will be headless running with no real input . the forwards cant fault them the are carrying this team in the last 4 games . Any one who watched the game can easily see how vulnerable are we, slow and devoid of ideas ( keeper vvd to konate back to keeper then hoof or give to spuds who should have scored 6 .

Just took a peek at the MOM poll above. Four out of the back five have not even registered a single vote amongst them. Trent being the exception. Not sure what message, if any, we can read from thatā€¦ :man_shrugging:

They didnā€™t play very well?

1 Like

What a start, great movement, keeping the ball well and incisive passing to score 3 excellent goals and crusing

Then complacency stepped in, lack of movement off the ball, missed controls, too many back passes to Alli and our usual high back line with no one tracking runners

Sometimes our boss needs to set an example and for me Robbo, who we all love, should have been subbed after giving the ball away in our half twice, his complacency gave them heart.

Less said about the referee.

2 Likes

Should have scored 6 my arse, why did we bring in Alisson Becker?

1 Like