Post Match: Liverpool v West Brom (epl 27/12/20 4.40pm)

As I like to say, “parking the bus works great until the other team scores.” Occasionally you get lucky like Fat Sam did today, but as Mourinho found out with the Shaqiri Deflected Double™ it doesn’t always.

1 Like

Well, that was a complete bottle job, too pedestrian in the second half culminating in that sloppy pass from Jones.

We really needed to move it quicker which is why Keita’s injury is frustrating, we needed someone a bit more direct to disrupt the WBA shape.

Not an athlete by any means but id take Rhys in a foot race, he is so slow! Matip is probably out for a while.

1 Like

They did not get lucky, the played better than us in the second half. They had few chances.

2 Likes

1st half there was a shout at a handball which I saw, but no replays to look at it, seemed weird why as it looked a good shout for a pen to us

1 Like

We all know Fireman Sam is gonna set-up this way, yet we still can’t find a way to beat that low block lesser teams are using against us. We pretty much dominated the game apart from scoring that elusive second goal. They we’re always gonna get one or two chances to score, and they did with a Scramble play that ended up being a corner. The boys weren’t sharp today, maybe too much eating over Christmas :laughing:. We need to find a way to beat these lower teams, as we are dropping too many points on them. I really hope this doesn’t come back to bite us at the end of the season for the title.

Our backline aside from Robbo and Fab didn’t play well today. Trent dwell on the ball too much and his crosses were off the mark. Joel got hurt again sigh… pretty much made of glass. Rhys kind of got thrown in the deep end and was visibly unsettled.
Our front three did ok, but can’t really do anything when they play so deep and parked the bus outside their 18.

I think going forward playing against teams that parks the bus we need to have one or two guys that can shoot from distance. We pass the ball a lot and it’s not direct enough to cause concern for the opposing team. I hope Thiago can come back soon, and time to start banking those points against lower opposition.

On to Newcastle and let’s win this one.

YNWA

1 Like

They were lucky we weren’t at our clinical best. We didn’t play well, but think it’s a bit of a stretch to say they were better than us.

1 Like

Sums up the game for us.

Lapse in concentration. Can’t win all games by several goals, so needed to see out the game when things not in groove.

But, yes, that short corner was pathetic in the final seconds.

1 Like

I also thought WBA kept their heads going 1 down didn’t affect them. We so needed that second goal.
Tbf Jones did well only on occassion did he keep the ball too long. Subbing him off for OX didn’t make sense to me our midfield was not the problem.
Our problem as so often in these matches seems to be Salah and Firmino’s obcession of always finding him (ok it worked for 1 season but it’s evident it doesn’t work anymore). Whenever we start Firmino and Salah we seem to lose an edge up front. When I saw Ox warming up i was hoping he was coming on for Salah as didn’t see who else could be taken off.

2 Likes

Shoot from distance and a better passer of the ball. We need two midfielders, Thiago is a big miss.

1 Like

Since we are all pissed off, let’s start another angle for frustration…

You know who would have helped today? A red hot striker, intelligent passing, movement, goals, good pace, intensity, etc. Hmmm… someone like Jota perhaps? But it’s OK, he got kicked out of it against Midget Land, which was a very important game.

Bah humbug!

2 Likes

Erm… No.

3 Likes

To be fair having one or two more shots on target would have done it, 2 shots on target sorry that’s not going win games.

4 Likes

I don’t say it likely…this one goes entirely on Klopp…I don’t think there is one manager who will stand aside for 80 minutes, while having such gameplan on the pitch…
Bringing Rhys after 60-65 mins with Fab in mid, would have done the job, if Shaq is still soft…This trio are not made for playmaking-playing against such catenaccio!
…still, can’t understand what happened after 45’, and why nothing was done to correct it…
90’ of antipropaganda for the sport!

2 Likes

I put Curtis at fault for the corner, it was his noodling around on the ball followed by a sloppy back pass. Once the ball was up in the air, Rhys had little choice but to head it away from danger, just unlucky that it was a bit heavy and Allison couldn’t claim it.

When I watched the goal replay, it looked quite tight for offside to me, and it’s just a bit suspicious that you never saw a replay that wasn’t on a diagonal, and no VAR line drawn.

The commentators on the US broadcast by NBC spent the entire 2nd half talking up the genius of fat Sam and his recent record at Anfield. Never understand why parking the bus against superior opposition is every considered tactical genius, when it’s just pragmatism and hoping for a bit of luck, which WBA certainly got today.

Ultimately, our own fault for not being more clinical and putting the game away.

Matip with a groin injury is probably going to have him out a month, we definitely need to sign a CB asap in January.

5 Likes

Once Matip was off injured the downward momentum started. To be fair everyone could feel it was coming and we were conceding corner after corner. For once Klopp got it wrong. Subs were very late from Klopp. What’s the point of 5 subs when you make 1 after 80 minutes. Firmino almost scored from ab Ox’s cross and he was trying to shoot from distance whenever he had some space. To me he should have started if not atleast come on after 60 minutes…

1 Like

Carbon copy of the Fulham game taking twenty side-ways passes to get out of our own half. Henderson was the worst culprit walking with the ball at times. Their keeper wasn’t really tested until the worldly he made from Bobby’s header. All of the lads had plenty of rest this week so can’t use that as an excuse. Desperately need to sign a central defender in January.

3 Likes

Really we have for some time now. Then I suppose it depends how far you take the ‘lose an edge’ perhaps you need to look that up?

1 Like

Just fuck off with that. Seriously. 2 dropped points at Anfield against Allardyce of all people. As if they didn’t know that fat cunt’s tactics or luck. Started well, scored a pearl of an individual goal and then started playing more and more like idiots doing exactly what he wanted. And after we got away with it the first time with Robertson’s miskick, we decided to actually score the goal for them in a sequence that makes you want to pull your hair out. From Jones doing what he did all game and dilly-dally on the ball, to Williams’ poor clearance, to their defender heading it virtually unchallenged from what appeared to be an offside position, to Alisson actually pushing the ball in his own net.

With that fat bastard’s tactics and the way we threw it away it really felt that we travelled back in time when we were susceptible to this kind of thing. Piss poor by just about everyone, Klopp included. Unbelievable that we fell into the same trap again. Fuck that cunt, his “football” and his teams.

4 Likes

Ali didn’t touch it. There was simply weird spin on the ball.

5 Likes

i agree but jones is developing this habit of holding onto the ball for too long. he killed our counters on at least two occasions. by the time he released the ball, WB had recovered. We are so predictable with the crossing especially against a fat sam team. he would love us to do that all day. one shot on target the 2nd half and only three in the first is jus unacceptable against such a team… team was shit overall. i feel klopp needed to be a bit unpredictable in the middle with a shaq as curtis was offering nothing today

5 Likes