Post match: Liverpool v West Ham (EPL 19/10/22 7.30pm)

Could that be down to Ali being very religious. I understand that Bolsonaro’s wife is very religious and so he has played on that a lot, even getting a senior figure of the church to endorse him.

1 Like

I agree it was a penalty, I could see what he was attempting, but he was just slower to the ball than Bowen. My concern is that it was a challenge he didn’t have to make. In his defence I thought the rest of his game was sound, considering he has not played a run of games. :+1:t2:

1 Like

He played on Sunday against citoil and, from press reports and from things I’ve read on TAN he didn’t do too bad.

Tonight, I thought that he was great first half but I think the pen decision knocked his confidence a bit. But overall he had a very good game (in my opinion).

2 Likes

Nice to get the win.
Nicer that we’ve now had 2 clean sheets in a row.

But, my concerns about this one weren’t unfounded, we need to be more clinical when on top, or it’s going to cost us.

On a brighter note, next time City kick off we may only be 4 points behind them.
They’ll likely beat Brighton…but

3 Likes

Not the champagne football we have seen in the past, but getting back to basics works. Two clean sheets in a row is important for me, rebuilding the foundation of the last five years. That will rebuild the offence by rebuilding confidence. Still lots of work to do on the defence, ball pressure is nothing like what it once was. I don’t think we have a midfield now capable of quite that intensity on the press, so team defensive shape needs to pick up that slack.

5 Likes

Rash challenge doesn’t mean a foul. Means unnecessary.

But I’m probably old school and grew up when you could challenge and be physical without it being a foul. This to me falls into that category, physical challenge.

1 Like

Well you are wrong. Ref in the utd game was rightly praised by the commentary team.

Not that that means much.

Good!

No mention of Stuart Atwell in your post-match comment? He must have performed to perfection then! :+1: :wink:

1 Like

First half was very good and we should have put them away but at the end it was Alisson that kept us ahead. Second half, we lost impetus and intensity, West Ham kept probing forward and almost got an equaliser which thankfully Milner saved. Speaking of whom, it’s great to see him back at his best. 37 years old and he still puts on a clinic.

On the other hand though, there is Fabinho. If he keeps this up, he’ll have to be replaced. He has been awful. I don’t think he won a single challenge once he came in.

4 Likes

So was Taylor against Man City, I rest my case

I really hoped that Trent took the time out to have a bit of a reset, especically defensively but he was very poor again in that respect. There are no excuses for the mistakes he is making, they are not down to overloads or clever play by the opposition, he was even playing deeper so it was basic defending, the stuff Milner was doing last week at a good level. When a 38 year old midfielder is defending better than you as a fullback you need to take a long hard look at what’s going wrong.

For example the high punt cross which Gomez was called out for “losing it in the air” was Trents mistake, he moved central for no reason, left his man meaning Gomez had to shift to cut it out. On that showing Southgate is right to not take him, he is failing to do basic defending.

2 Likes

The terminology in regards to a foul, something that a Direct freekick can be awarded for is Careless, reckless or using excessive force.

Rash & Careless are more or less the same.

He was neither good or bad.

I’d be more than happy if I never had to mention a ref post-match.

6 Likes

I thought he made an howler, however Klopp mentioned that instance in the post game chat and said that the wind at ground level was quite bad and said that he thought Trent had it covered then the wind just took it away, so I will give him a break on that one.

He still got beat too easily though.

I knew you would say that.

I watched the last 20 - 25 minutes of utd. Ref did well, used the advantage correctly and kept control of the match. Hence no need for a manager to lose his shit like Klopp did.

I rest my case.

We are grinding out matches again as we did in the year we won the PL, which is essential to make something of this PL season.

3 Likes

More or less but not the same. Not the same at all.

Defender goes to ground with a sliding tackle, doesn’t win the ball and is now out of the game. That’s rash.

Defender sticks out a leg after the ball is gone and fouls the opponent, that’s careless.

World of difference.

I watched the last 20 - 25 minutes and like Taylor he let fouls go, supposedly to keep the game flowing. I saw the advantage he played which he got right. But fouls need to be penalised otherwise you get the reaction after our game about the ref let this go and that go.

A FOUL is a Foul

1 Like

But Gomez clattered into the back of Bowen there was contact around the middle of his back which was as clear as day and a foul was awarded so therefore as per your analogy it was careless.

Most of my life people I play with and discuss football with use the word rash in the place of careless, I just use careless as that is what is in the laws of the game.