Post match: Liverpool v West Ham (EPL 5/3/22 5.30pm)

No: he’s always been shit.

1 Like

I thought we played quite well. On another day we score 4 or 5, some poor finishing (as well as about 8 silly pot shots from outside the area), good defending and a bit of bad luck here and there meant we only notched the one. We did give West Ham a couple of big chances too, but overall we deserved the win.

Trent and Diaz were obviously brilliant but I thought Mane and Keita were very good too. Mane is taking to that central role like a duck to water and Keita is really proving himself in the midfield, another very solid performance from him.

7 Likes

C+

Needs a wine recommendation

2 Likes

My 3 picks after re-watching the match:

1. Naby lad - One of the best match I have seen him played. Good forward movements. Also denied Hammers a massive chance to level the match.
  2. Hendo - Sheltered TAA when needed, while attacking and mid-field link up play is back to his best. Surprised that some were so critical against Hendo and Naby in the pre-match thread.
  3. TAA - Some of his diagonals have been exquisite. Oh, and that goal mouth block of a certain goal by West Ham. Strange that I focused on his misplaced pass when watching live. Sometimes he annoys me with a sudden lack of focus.

Shout out to Luis Diaz. Can’t wait for Luis to get better with sensing where his teammates are, he will be so deadly in the box. At the current time, he keeps his head down while sprinting forward a bit too often, still early days! His ball control and passing have been top notch.

Bowen’s started limping all of a sudden during our attacking phase with nobody around him. That does not look good.

Also, I have never seen the Anfield pitch in such poor conditions in the modern days. I noticed the patchiness since the massive storm a few weeks ago.

6 Likes

So that’s why he had a mare! Thanks SBYM, glad you didn’t also vote for TAA and Dias or we would have been fucked. :wink:

1 Like

WH flooded our right side to crowd Mo out. Obvious to see. Get past two players, and there is another one there. This leaves space on the other side for Diaz/Andy to exploit. So even if Mo is having a rare stinker of a game, his presence alone opens up other avenues that we can exploit.

When Mo got subbed, I would’ve liked Mane to shift over to the right with Jota up top. Then that counter where Jota failed to find Mane would’ve been reversed, and I’d argue that Mane would’ve easily found Jota in the middle to get the second goal.

But the Mane in the middle experiment is looking good as well, so understandable that didn’t want to alter too many things when a few minutes to see out the game.

4 Likes

Didn’t know about this. Brilliant:

4 Likes

The Bitters are 40 points behind us for the third time in four years. We could break the 50 point record of two years ago before Easter.
It will be the biggest gulf between us in exactly 60 years.

5 Likes

This.

The intellectual gymnastics by Utd fans would likely be more entertaining than the Shitty meltdowns.

4 Likes

As with most managers, I think he’s good in the right situation, when he can set a team up to play a way he’s comfortable with.

Generally, I believe there are top team coaches and lower team coaches; the former are suited to coach teams who fundamentally play attacking football and/or dominate games. Moyes has never struck me as that type of manager, it seems to be out of his comfort zone. Same as Hodgson with us, it’s just not how they and their likes approach the game.

So yeah, I think he’s very good at what he does, where he is. But I’ve always been of the opinion the football he stands for has a ceiling. He maxed out at Everton, and I think top 6 or so is the most West Ham can hope for in today’s PL. Which I think is really good, by the way, for a club like that.

4 Likes

I actually gave one vote to each of the front three!!

Sadio scored and Luis was amazeballs.

You’re welcome, TAN.

2 Likes

:100:

Poor old Naby couldn’t catch a break in the match day thread…

3 Likes

We rode our luck at times.
So did west ham

On another day it would be 3-2

Good win

1 Like

shocked philip j fry GIF

I think @norwegian_wood has hit the nail on the head above, a typical British manager does a good job with a top 10 team, while able to put up a battle against the big boys from time to time but will never be one.

2 Likes

I only look at half time, and some ofthe shite posted during the in match thread is plain tiresome.
One or two experts spend more time typing than watching football.

Naby got a lot of unwarranted criticism during a decent personal performance.

9 Likes

I think top six with a run at the top four is about his upper limit. With football that still makes him an exceptionally good manager, but I think he isn’t suited to working g with truly elite players.

8 Likes

I see he never gave the ball away once i first half, fabinho did 3 times and Henderson once.

1 Like

Two first half comments:

“Can we get Naby off at half time”
“Nabby is shit”

Yet he was having arguably his best performance in a while. I look at half time and full time to see the usual suspects have been watching a different match.

3 Likes