Post match: Liverpool v Wolves (EPL 6/12/20 7.15pm)

Man of the Match
  • Caoimhin KELLEHER
  • Neco WILLIAMS
  • Joel MATIP
  • FABINHO
  • Andrew ROBERTSON
  • Jordan HENDERSON
  • Gini WIJALDUM
  • Curtis JONES
  • Mohamed SALAH
  • Roberto FIRMINO
  • Sadio MANE
  • Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
  • Diogo JOTA
  • Naby KEITA

0 voters

Unused subs: Adrian, Keita, Minamino, Jota, Tsimikas, Phillips, Alexander-Arnold

:soccer: Mohamed SALAH 24’
:soccer: Gini WIJNALDUM 58’
:soccer: Joel MATIP 67’
:soccer: Sadio MANE 78’

Sub: :arrow_right: Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD :arrow_left: Neco WILLIAMS 67’
Sub: :arrow_right: Diogo JOYO :arrow_left: Roberto FIRMINO 73’
Sub: :arrow_right: Naby KEITA :arrow_left: Jordan HENDERSON 81’

Never in doubt.

Stat of the day: Kelleher and Neco’s shirt numbers added together total more than the number of points Everton have won since the start of the 2018-19 season.

The continued absence of Alisson, despite what Sky Sports had said pre-match, meant that young Kelleher retained his place between the sticks, following his outstanding performance in the Champions League midweek. Fabinho and Matip were this week’s lucky raffle winners to form the central defence; Henderson anchored the midfield again, allowing Curtis and Gini to roam. Up front, Jota made way for Bobby, so the fabled front three were reunited from the start for the first time since the draw at Manchester City, whilst it was good to see young Trent back on the bench.

The returning crowd, even if only a couple of thousand, gave a heartfelt rendition of our famous old anthem and there was a real sense of anticipation before the game kicked off. The visitors had the first attempt on goal, with Neves firing a free kick (for which Williams was booked in the second minute) narrowly over. Soon afterwards, a promising Reds counter-attack petered out with a poor pass from Jones. Mané headed over from Robertson’s cross, which was hit with some venom and arrived slightly behind the Senegalese international.

Young Caoimhin made a fine, back-pedalling, fingertip save save to deny Podence, before Traore skipped past Fabinho but swept his cross just beyond Neto at the far post. Mané then just failed to capitalise on a magnificent pass from Robbo; moments later, Coady failed to head away Henderson’s hopeful pass and Salah pounced gratefully. 1-0 to the Tricky Reds.

Fabinho made a brilliant intervention before Bobby almost flicked Sadio’s driven cross past Patricio; Semedo then thwarted Mané after the captain’s sumptuous pass. Mo then hit along-range free kick well but it was too far out to really test the visiting keeper, who saved comfortably.

VAR then- miraculously- came to our rescue when a penalty decision against Mané was overturned. The forward clearly tried to pull out of his overhead clearance as he saw Coady nearby and there was no contact. As the teams trudged off for their halftime oranges, the Reds fully deserved their lead and could easily have been more than one goal to the good.

Mané almost started the second half with a bang but his sweetly struck shot was straight at Patricio. Salah and Robbo then set up Mané with a delightful move that deserved a better finish; Kelleher made a couple of decent saves and then Gini curled a beauty into the top corner on a counter attack after a Wolves corner. 2-0 just before the hour and the returning Kop had a goal in front of them to celebrate.

Matip then nodded home Salah’s cross- a short corner routine actually paid off, for the first time ever- to make it 3-0 and Trent came on to replace Neco for the last quarter of the match. Bobby, who had been full of wonderful tricks and flicks all evening, then made way for Jota, who faced his former club for the first time.

Jones shot straight at the keeper from the edge of the box; Semedo then turned the ball into his own net, under pressure from Mané, after Trent’s wonderful low cross. 4-0 with 12 minutes left to play. Kelleher then parried AIt Nouri’s drive before Baby replaced Henderson for the last ten minutes. Robertson’s late free kick was a fraction too high for Mané; Mo then cut inside but his shot swerved wide from the edge of the box.

It really was a complete team performance today: Kelleher was unflappable; the back four imperious (Williams’ early lunge excepted); the midfield controlled the game and the front three looked menacing throughout. We really do look to be hitting our stride now and all I can see stopping us in the league is the dubious officiating.

Next up is our closing Champions League group fixture, at Midtjylland, and the chance to rest the regulars and play the kids. A trip dahn sahf to Fulham follows next Sunday; on paper, an easy three points but I’m sure that the boys will have learnt from that Atalanta defeat- never underestimate the opposition.

MOTM: Gérald Gabillet, Technical Director at Cheval des Andes. Another trip away from France for today’s recommended red, although the team based in Argentina do rely a lot on imported knowledge from Bordeaux. In my opinion, the best wine produced outside Europe; strongly recommended to those who are partial to a bit of vino tinto.

29 Likes

You Typed all that in three seconds?

9 Likes

What a game, and we weren’t even out of second gear :laughing::laughing:. Very impressed with our performance today, I think having fans back at Anfield is essential for pushing the team on. Hopefully more fans can be allowed to go watch soon.
I think our Midfield today was tremendous in keeping Wolves at Bay. Hendo is the glue that holds everything together, with him in the squad we are cohesive in the middle of the park. Very impressed with Jones too, I think he’s definitely part of the Midfield rotation now. Nice to see Gini get one in there and did the Virg celebration :crazy_face:.
One guy that brings me with awe is Robo, this guy has been playing 110% every game, and nothing seems to faze him. Klopp needs to rest him mid week lol.
Awesome to see TAA back in the fold and gave one world class pass for the fourth goal.
Overall we dominated, nothing to critique today, Top Notch performance.
The Tottenham game in 10days will be huge.

YNWA

9 Likes

I’m slowing down.

10 Likes

3 points and clean sheet with no injuries. Primary ask sealed and delivered. A wonderful performance and 4 goals is just what one can ask for!

Kelleher was just amazing. We would definitely have conceded at least one if he wasn’t this good in this game. Mane and Robbo brilliant, Salah as well. The back two CB pairing assured and keeping clean sheets like they have been playing for years.

But my oh my what a performance by midfield. Gini just brilliant and Hendo equally good. Covered the full backs especially young Neco after he got an early yellow. Traore couldn’t do anything even after changing the sides. Jones brilliant as well.

Happy to see Keita and Trent back. And then highlight of the night, the Kop with the amazing songs back. And the Klopp fist pump to top it off! :heart_eyes:

Good rest now and let the young lads take care of CL last game. Onwards and upwards!

16 Likes

could not win 8-1, useless.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Never in doubt.
Bossed the game.
Glad glad glad to see the Kop back.
Joint top.
Great to see klopp with his fist punch !

9 Likes

Great game. Hendo, Gini and Fab my stand outs but could have picked pretty much anyone. Kelleher fantastic on his league debut

5 Likes

Seriously, this team conceded 7 goals to Villa? It’s hard to imagine now. Solidly pre-COVID Liverpool.

9 Likes

Just another routine win and a couple of scousers assisting the goals. Onwards and upwards.

5 Likes

Clean sheet, the Kop, Jurgen’s fist pumps.

And Gini.

15 Likes

It always seems to me that we’re a much better team, with better shape, when Hendo is in the team. Whether we need an extra gear, or we need to slow the game down, all this comes much easier to us when he’s playing than when he’s not.

I also prefer our old 3-man attack to the new one with Jota. For me, he is too similar to Salah and Mane; we look more balanced with Firmino in the middle as we did today. He truly is the most irreplaceable one in our attack for me! The goals Jota scored seemed to me, to be at the expense of our other guys (especially Mane).

Is Curtis Jones really 19 years old? I’m gonna have to google that! He looks like a grizzled old veteran out there, even leaving his foot in a few useful places at times… he’s certainly come a long way in a very short time!

Great to see TAA back, what a sublime goal it was (whoever it ended up being credited to hardly matters). It only took a few minutes for him to show us what we were missing offensively when Neco had to deputise for him.

I’m totally sold on Kelleher after today! Guy just goes out there, focuses, and does his job. None of that Adrianesque heart-attack bullshit - this guy just puts his mind on the game and does what he needs to do. Allison can take his time to recover, and when he does, he can fight for his place!

MOTM for me today is Salah, he was literally everywhere and made endless problems for the opponent defense. Gini the freight train in our midfield as always, and Fabinho is a rock for us as usual. Now that we’ve got a free game for our guys to rest, we need to establish ourselves in the league and put our foot down (next Anfield league game is against those Spurs). YNWA!

14 Likes

Fans back in hallowed Anfield…
Scousers playing with fun in their boots…
The red metronome just ground them down…
An utter joy to behold…

Just unbridled happiness… We are back! I enjoy football once more.

7 Likes

You mean your writing or…?

3 Likes
3 Likes

Fist pump celebrations from Klopp with the Kop end at full time. What a good feeling.

Perfect performance, clean sheet, naby and trent playing. Lovely goal from Gini. Sign the contract!!

Wahoooooooo

6 Likes