Post match: Liverpool v Wolves (FAC 7/1/23 8pm)

Just shows Mike Dean isn’t a total eejit like many others.

Gave it to Doak who showed more in 5 minutes than Gakpo in 80. That bloke better find his balls quickly because as a forward you bring and need them.

1 Like

Prickford not even playing and talking about arms. :neutral_face::neutral_face:

I found the explanation ridiculous, that VAR did not get a camera coverage from that angle…

1 Like

So Gakpo a bust already then? Fucks sake. That didn’t take long.

Anyone added ‘New keeper’ to the list yet? :roll_eyes:

Terrible performance.

On the bright side, Pep Ljinders will probably push for Nunes and even Nevez after watching that. Both players were levels above our midfielders.

Shite result for us, but at least, the lads improved from a horrible first half performance and managed to provide us some entertainment after the break. Wolves could and should have won it though. They’ll be furious against the ref team and VAR, who took a perfectly valid goal away from them, and against themselves for not finishing off more of their numerous chances.

As for our lads, they’ll be happy to still be in the tie despite of not deserving it. That is about the only collective silver lining tonight. Otherwise, Trent had an excellent game imo, Nunez had a few good moments, Salah took his goal very well but wasn’t involved enough.

Actually, on reflection, the individual performances of most players were ok. But it didn’t result in a good collective performance, also due to a very aggressive and well-organised Wolves team.

The big question is why let we Wolves pick him up …

3 Likes

5 consecutive shit performances since coming back from the WC.

3 Likes

I find a lot of the reaction frankly a little ludicrous.

Alisson at his usual standards and that’s a 2-0 win for us. Was it the steamrolling that so many seem to be expecting? No. But was it as bad as being portrayed? Nowhere close. We need to sort out our basics, especially the passing, which I noticed was so slow sometimes. A couple of times throughout the game, Robertson would be making a forward run, but the speed at which Thiago rolled the ball to him meant that he would have to run backward to pick up the ball again, which is just completely daft.

Our problems right now are just executing the basics of passing and moving. Sort that out and we’ll be golden.

1 Like

I don’t think Villa was as bad as people say it was but yeah the last three really were dreadful.

It would be great to have an option of ‘Noone’ as an option for player of the match.

I suppose Nunez had a good game

Would like to see Doak given more minutes

Who is this itv presenter who is bragging about not knowing the offside law? How do you get a job presenting live football these days?

2 Likes

Noticed Thiago in the Brentford game always looked to go backward. He is also struggling at the moment all too ponderous and slow across the whole side.

1 Like

Same old really.

Positives: thought some of the linkup play in attack between Salah and Nunez was quite good. Trent played pretty well, which makes a difference given he’s our only real effective playmaker option. Gakpo seemed fine. Again, though, I thought Nunez was our most effective forward, which is ironic given the mindless abuse he gets from some rival fans.

The negatives - mostly the same as the last few matches. Easy to play through. Our midfield just don’t have the legs, the intensity or the energy to compete at the tempo we need them to for the full 90 mins. In an ideal world, I’d take Bellingham and Rice as a homegrown, youngish solution that Klopp can anchor his next team around. In reality, we’d be lucky to get one of them and suspect it might be players lower down the pecking order.

The fact is we’re conceding too many chances - some we cut out, but when there are enough of them and Alisson/defenders are being put under pressure, mistakes are made. Folks will go at Alisson, but I was more concerned with in front of him. Konate is a talent, but he’s still very raw, world cup final or no, and he can be sloppy with his clearances and possession play.

Much to muse over and be concerned about, but we’re still in there I suppose. Let’s put everything into getting a result against Brighton then we can worry about these again.

1 Like

By knowing the offside law :grin:

I’m thinking I have no idea how to judge midfielders, because I’m not seeing the dominance that many are seeing, especially given how few of our other players have been providing outlets to the midfielders.

Maybe by the low expectations of “it’s a much rotated Wolves side” they outperformed compared to the expectations of a Liverpool midfield…

True - but would a little thing like fact have really kept us from losing our shit?

1 Like

Editing this to clarify - a big part of the confusion is the FA doesnt make any of their process public the way the PL does so the commentators were left in the dark trying to understand what was being looked at. That is terrible process. The specific here appears to be the same as that we experienced against Arsenal where the calibrated cameras couldnt cover enough of the pitch to capture all of the frames needed to run a VAR check on Nunes. So as the lino flagged it they had to go with that decision. Pathetic stuff.

It is worth noting though that Mo’s absolutely should not have stood under the current interpretation.

3 Likes