Post match: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 25/11/23 12.30pm)

He’ll get used to it…can’t u get some of those ear defenders for kids

Not great first half but much improved in the second and deserved a point. Joel Matip man of the match, Trent shut up his critics and Tsimikas. Great to end their unbeaten home run, it felt like a defeat for them.

4 Likes

What was Tsimi saying about Trent?

City’s tactics to rest most players for internationals did work up to a point.
Ake rested who solo’d surprisingly before assisting to ugly Shrek.
Ederson also rested and in his place Brazil had to play Ali. Two tough games which Brazil lost (Brazil actually lost their last three now) and Ali played every minute.
Brazils last game a tough game versus Argentina and then the long flight home to play the 12:30. We all saw that Ali didn’t play his best and we hope there’s no bad injury. It could have been ederson being the tired one if he wasn’t rested

6 Likes

They’re not ‘champions’ though are they? They’re just an aberration. It’s been going on for far too long. All their ‘wins’ while they’ve been cheating need to be reversed, or it’s the end of English top-flight football.

3 Likes

Given it came after a break, both teams seemed a bit off the pace at times, but coming away with a draw from Emptyhead,yep I’ll take that, any day.The early start is a pain in the arse,more concerned about Ali,hope it isn’t anything serious.So we are well in touch,just keep it happening, although giving up conceding first would be nice!

2 Likes

Admittedly I only watched the last half hour live and the highlights just now, but despite all the hyperbole re City by commentators on the radio (which forced me to turn it off and go to the pub and watch myself), they didn’t really look that good to be honest. Did sound like they were all over us first half hour, but not much to show for it (materially or visually in the highlights).

I’m pleased with that. And very pleased for Trent. Everyone wanted to criticise him on the radio. Fuck em :smile:

1 Like

We weren’t crap in the first half hour. It was quite even up to the goal, which was a gift, no matter how you look at it.

6 Likes

He especially shut up the ones singing feed the scouser throughout the game when poverty in Manchester is a lot higher which is sad to mock people who are struggling to make ends meet

6 Likes

I thought the lads did well holding up to Man City’s relentless offence in the first 15-20 minutes. I thought we were by far the better team over 90 minutes.

I would take a draw all day long against these Manc twats. 1-1 is a good result. They are beatable. I am glad we spoiled their winning record of home wins.

I just hope Ethiad lot just start feeling the fatigue mentally and physically and lose points in their next games.

We need need to play better away from home.

4 Likes

Isn’t it not the end already? The PL refusing to give Man City and Chelsea some punishment officially for their numerous FFP charges while quickly giving the bitters a 10 point deduction for 1 charge isn’t clear enough that the PL is broken?

1 Like

fuck you mean “refusing”?

2 Likes

Take the point. We were fortunate.

Little things. Too many times we gave the ball to them with little pressure, especially in the first half. MacAllister an ineffective #6 and it shows. Not impressed with him in that position, we really do need a change there.

Can’t remember the last time Mo beat someone 1v1. He’s a good finisher so we keep him on the pitch, no harm.

Jota got shit for service today, no wonder he looked frustrated

3 Likes

Key takeaways.

Matip was the best defender for Liverpool.

Trent had a good game.

Tsimikas wasn’t tested but it’s still worthwhile getting a youngster in at Europa till Robbo comes back

Gravenberch needs to start over Jones.

2 Likes

We don’t need a change at #6, Mac Allister is doing fine. The confusion comes from him not actually playing as a 6 despite starting in a deep midfield role. His job is to get the ball and create from deep, where he has more chances to find pockets of space and move us forward. His job is to press from the CM position not sit infront of the back 4.

Anyway he’s doing such a bad job that he’s part of a defence that has conceded the fewest goals in the league.

If anything my criticism of him isn’t the defensive side of the game, it’s that I want him to be a bit more influential when we have the ball - but he’s what 15 games into his Liverpool career? Give him time.

11 Likes

I’m fine with Liverpool’s midfield.

We were always going to get crowded out in the midfield battle as city have aim to get atleast 5 midfielders there sacrificing their attacking for stability. In that , the midfielders of the current 3+Trent did an alright job (except Jones who took too long to make decisions )

City’s tactics make it rather like a 2-2-3-2-1 at times with 2 inverted wingbacks almost exclusively operating in the #6 areas who can go and form a flat 4 if possible too. This makes them very difficult to break down but also pretty boring. They get away with it because of the players they have but it’s not particularly a new tactic. Just boring tikitaka possession based football with not too much end product to even make it palatable to the neutrals.

Our midfield did alright against them despite having the numbers game against them at all times. We didn’t have players free enough in the midfield area for forward passes, we still soaked the pressure, grew into the game and were the better team for a substantial period. This is at Etihad where teams get routinely tonked. This is a positive

But the midfield was fine when Gravenberch came on to the extent that macallister did get chances to be more offensive at times too.

2 Likes

There is a lot to unravel with The Cheats and the abandoned Объект compared to the ev lot. The ev lot just lost a stupid bet really, whereas the others have form for years of conspiratorial and flagrant disregard for the rules, integrity and nature of the game. We either put things right here and make a stand, or it really is over for the game as we’ve always understood it! If the game is changing to a new model, then fair enough. I’ll have the informed option of whether or not I want to continue with it, but I’d rather they came out and made that official rather than let this current fucking horseshit continue as though it’s perfectly normal. What exactly are we supporting these days? If the governing rules are so ambiguous and fluid, how are we supposed to call out dodgy refs or VAR decisions? Either there are protocols and procedures in place or there aren’t? I couldn’t give a fuck either way any more, I’d just rather know which it is.

1 Like

Whilst we would all like that to be true, it’s actually the second fewest. Arsenal have conceded one goal less.

2 Likes

Whatever way we, or anybody else view yesterdays game, media bias included, the bald fraud was desperate to beat us in that game… desperate. Bottom line, he, that team of his, the plastic baying mob of a crowd, even when all combined, could not do it…! :0)
Why we even played a goalkeeper that was suffering from some sort of punch-drunk jet lag, against their ‘fresh as a daisy’ equivalent to even the game up… Again, bottom-line, they couldn’t beat us…!
We are taking space up in the spacious head of the fraud… he knows it, we most certainly know it, come the end of the season when we lift the PL title, finally the media will know it. :0)
COYR

4 Likes

Awful game. Tactical self-flagellation from the kings thereof only disrupted by a moment of individual brilliance from our best football player.