Post match: Man City v Liverpool (EPL 25/11/23 12.30pm)

no allison for a while. Looks like he will miss Arsenal and United games

Klopp said he ā€šfelt a bitā€™

Did not sound like he will be out for 3 weeks

1 Like

A draw away to one of the best teams in the world on a 12:30 kickoff with a ā€˜halfā€™ team fully jet lagged is a more than excellent result. I expect our lads to win the next 3 matches against so-so opponents, letā€™s see what the competition does.

5 Likes

These are exactly the type of games where we donā€™t turn up. Anything less than 100% commitment would be completely unacceptable.

8 Likes

Luton and Toulouse

Charlize Theron Oscars GIF by Budweiser

1 Like

Bournemouth
Wolves
West Ham
Everton
Forest
Brentford
Lask
Union
Toulouse
Leicester

I will not only hold your beer, I will drink it too.

Cheers ā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

In the first half of Saturdayā€™s match, a banner reading ā€œUAE: Free Ahmed Mansoorā€ had been flown over the stadium.

Amnesty International UKā€™s chief executive Sacha Deshmukh said: "Weā€™re calling on City fans to join us in this campaign to free Ahmed.

Good luck with that oneā€¦

4 Likes

That a nice run of fixtures. Obviously we have some form where we take our foot off the pedal and drop more points than we should against some of the lesser sides. If we apply ourselves, and pick up the Premier League points we should, then we are well and truly in a title fight.

Thatā€™s the sort of mentality we want to see returning. Racking up a sequence of wins against unheralded teams, then holding our own against other giants, or better, and we are in business.

3 Likes

Thank you.

Iā€™ve not had many issues with him but he seems to get a kicking most game threads we donā€™t win and a fair few we do. Consider what was happening last season a lot of play has gone back across the flanks this season not via the middle which was happening too much last season.

Also itā€™s not particularly surprising that the defence looks a lot better this season, I believe Szoboszlai also has some crazy stats on blocks which suggests what Klopp is trying to do with that CM.

When Klopp went out and got Gravenbech I felt the idea was Klopp moving on from the traditional 6 model. Trent plays that Hybrid role now, Endo allows him to use that model if he needs but for the most part we arenā€™t set up to play with a traditional one.

Even from Andreā€™s stats he seems less of a traditional one.

2 Likes

The downs from this game is not the result but the playing personnel that can miss our subsequent matches.

Alisson and Jota will be sorely missedā€¦

what about turnovers in the midfield? the number of times we lost the second ball last Saturday was quite shocking. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a lack of composure but what I noticed the most was MacAllister simply not moving into space to receive a pass. Did a lot of walking where we need more movement.

#6 is a thankless job. very few can do it well, but from what I have seen so far I have no doubt that MacAllister is a talented footballer but in a different role than where heā€™s currently deployed. Iā€™d rather see Gravenberch there and move MacAllister up at this point, to see how it plays out. If weā€™re not going to buy another midfielder (which appears to be the case), then lets take the next few games as opportunities for these players to swap roles during the games and become interchangable. if MacAllister gets a bit of space to run then let him move up and have Szobo or Gravenberch drop into the hole for a few mins.

I donā€™t know about the rest of you, but I played LW/RW for my youth years and as I got older I moved back. a brief stint in CM (not my forte), dropped into CB for 10y and the last 15+ at FB. I loved going on marauding runs from the FB position because the guys I played with were able to drop in behind me and give me time to get back into position after a lung-buster. gave them a bit of a rest too.

Criticism of Macca in this game seems harsh when you know he was falling asleep during the team meeting. Maybe he shouldnā€™t have played, but thatā€™s on Klopp.

2 Likes

what do you mean, falling asleep during the team meeting?

because he had to fly to Brazil to play football? come on, the time change is only 3 or 4 hours depending on daylight savings.

2 Likes

their last game was Nov 21. he had four days before the Liverpool game, this is their chosen career that they get compensated handsomely. If he was a parent of young kids, Iā€™d have some sympathy. Thatā€™s the hardest job of all.

Plus he probably had a bed in first class. These guys are so pampered itā€™s unreal.

I love Jurgen but wish he didnā€™t moan so much about early starts. Itā€™s bound to get into playersā€™ heads

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had to fly from New York to Glasgow and work on the Monday morning was crippling.

Flying West to East is generally worse. It affects some people more than others. There are drugs that can help with that but Iā€™m guessing that they would be restricted for a professional sportsman.

I suppose the alternative is that we just pretend all our South American players are injured.

3 Likes

Muscle injury to a goalkeeper. Strange one.

Could also be because of the international break. Long flight. Change of temperatureā€¦

3 Likes

Not sure why we donā€™t do this like many of the other sides. Is Klopp just too principled?

2 Likes

Possibly. There used to be a rule that any player that was withdrawn from international duty should miss the next domestic game. Iā€™d like to see that reintroduced.

1 Like