Post match: Man Utd v Liverpool (EPL 22/8/22 8pm)

Who for ?

Matip Thiago and Jota makeva real difference to attacking style

2 Likes

I don’t understand why Carvalho isn’t starting with Milner replacing him, Milner hasn’t got 45 minutes in his legs, leaving him on for 72 was ridiculous while taking Hendo off first is another strange decision

2 Likes

Milner might not be the player he was, but at least he looked arsed and I didn’t see him bottle out of a challenge like Gomez did.

1 Like

Get back to basics. Make sure you’re doing your job. If we’re getting caught out continuously in possession in the opening 15 minutes, then take the sting out of the game for 5 minutes by playing safe rather than looking for a quick switch.

Most of the problems in the opening 20 mins was due to Man Utd looking to nick the ball when we’re trying to play a risky pass.

It’s a long time since I’ve been this cross after a game. A combination of Utd being uncharacteristically good, us being stuck in this funk, every little fucking bounce going for them, every decision going their way, including what looked like an absolutely stonewall offside, and us still really should have won it.

A few takeaways.

Milner should not be starting matches, and certainly not ones of this intensity. Absolutely fucking bonkers that he stayed on as long as he did. He has been great, but should just be closing our games from now on.

Elliott and Diaz again share the plaudits. Really good performance.

I don’t understand why Salah is playing so far away from goal. He’s the main threat. Feels absolutely nuts to have him hugging the touch line.

I don’t think there is a lot wrong with the defence, but we are making really uncharacteristic lapses in concentration at key moments. It needs to tighten up, but most of all we need to commit to a regular Centre Back pair. Stick with Gomez now please. He was really good tonight.

The clamour for midfield reinforcements will build after tonight, but I think we just need lads to come back. If we do bring someone in, I’ll be chuffed, but I’ll also be in lazed if we can get a couple of lads playing again. There was a little pointed dig at Carvalho in midfield, but he looked lovely when he came on.

That Nunez sending off couldn’t have been timed worse. Really costly.

2 Likes

and this

Defensively we are terrible.

Any surprise it’s in Trent’s channel? He and Robbo have been atrocious all 3 games at both ends. Add to that Van Dijk going peak Maguire it’s a pisspot of poorness.

Bobby could actually be classed as 3rd now behind Nunez and Jota

1 Like

When Alexander Graham Bell first invented the telephone he had three missed calls from James Milner.

2 Likes

Sorry totally forgot about Jota.

We rely on a team. A system.

It simply failed. Not one element but many. Press, pace, pass

sloppy defending.

Plus lack of squad depth.

It’s not a quick fix.

2 Likes

Ali made a few good stops today even though he looked shaky at times thinking of it

we werent great but the narative seems to suggest we are worse than what we were

i remain to be convinced the goal wasnt offside, but lacking replays and even in game conversation on the matter either has me suspicious, or that it wasnt offside from an angle not shown to me.

trent gets a yellow when he shouldnt have, it was hardly a foul, and suggesting it was for priors is just lazy, both teams were doing priors, fernandes doesnt get a second yellow.

there was a moment in the first half when Diaz was clattered(i assumed the ref was playing advantage), stayed up and eventually gave AWAY the foul, i wouldnt know how accurate i am being here, becuase AGAIN, no replay
but it all frames a different narrative other than ‘we was shite’

been watching a long time, games against UTD are normally cagey affairs with no one really standing out, the 4-0s and 5-0s are anomolies
so with that in mind im no where near as doom and gloom as most on here.

not that im all unicorns and rainbows right now

9 Likes

Probably because Carvalho is young and easily pushed off the ball and Milner is captain and played well even telling off Virgil in front of the worlds cameras.

1 Like

We have missed him in all three games so far. As good as Díaz is, Bobby and Salah looked lost today during most of the game, and that has at least in part something to do with the loss of Mané.

2 Likes

As much as i don’t particularly rate Keita he would have been another sub option which is better than we had.

1 Like

Find it hilarious how we’re seeing so many new faces this week after our biggest struggle in 5 years.

1 Like

What frustrates me about this, and I know I’m flogging a dead horse, but with the way we set up tonight we basically eliminate the chances of ourselves getting an easy goal like that. We have to play 7 or 8 good passes just to get a shot off rather than one half decent long ball.

1 Like

Making me feel sick watching Monotone neville arse kissing Eric
you creeping little shit
you slagged him off every chance you had last week
you creepy git
now f**k off

5 Likes

Agree with all of that but I do also think some of the players are living off some past glories a bit, Robertson and Firmino in particular. It’s not that they’re having a howler to point at, its just a contribution that has little to no effect on what is happening on the pitch. The tactics are leaving us open to quick counters while at the same time leaving players like Salah and Diaz isolated and easily picked off.

Really fucking poor tonight, Klopp had a bit of a mare. On a final thought, he really should trust Carvalho more, the lad is a thoroughbred.

4 Likes