Post match: Man Utd v Liverpool (FAC 17/3/24 3.30pm)

Does anyone else feel sick…these mancs are going to be so smug in a few weeks…gawd I despise them…but remember wounded animals always bite back…

6 Likes

That game has done them more harm than good I reckon. They were running on adrenaline for 45 minutes. That’s going to take it out of them going forward. I expect a different scene in the league game :+1:

6 Likes

We coughed up just as many chances to them throughout the game

School boy errors gave it to them on a plate. Our passing throughout the game was shocking. It was no surprise that he took Mo off as he was really poor today. Will need to vastly improve after the break if we want any chance of winning the Premiership. Really disappointed.

2 Likes

I’m fucking furious. Not so much with the defeat but the manner of the defeat. We battered United for a good chunk of 90 minutes - the thing the two sides had in common was both fanbases spent the whole time singing about Liverpool. (As an aside there, who will be scrutinised more: our fans for a couple of flares or their fans for poverty songs, Hillsborough chants and anti-working class slurs?).

Three of their goals were essentially giveaways: from Nunez, Mac Allister and Elliott. I suspect much of it could be attributed to fatigue, but United definitely played with more intensity. We seemed to think the game was won in that second half and became very complacent in possession.

A few played with real commitment the whole game: Endo, Kelleher and the two centre backs come to mind. But we looked frequently susceptible to conceding on the counter, and so it proved in extra time. United aren’t a great side, but what they do have is pace and attacking wingers who can hurt you. They made the most of that.

A 120nd min goal to lose was one of the worst ways to lose this game tbh. Glad the players are going to get a rest now, but we’re going to need to see the mentality monsters when back in a couple weeks.

3 Likes

Also if we are going to blame tiredness then maybe a question should be asked as to why we played Robertson, Szoboszlai and Salah for a full 90 against Prague. I dare say them playing 45 in midweek wouldn’t have changed the outcome but them being removed today swung the momentum of the whole match.

4 Likes

On Gakpo, I hate to jump on anyone, but when coming on he has to offer more more willingness to get on the ball and be a nuisance he, needs some mongrel in him.

3 Likes

I felt that Thursday Europa League nights wouldn’t do us any favours and could have been the difference today.

4 Likes

Think we’ll wipe the floor with them in the league game, with players returning, and hopefully, some rotation in the Sheff United game before it (although rotation seems to be one of Klopp’s blind spots).

I never thought I would ever say this, especially against Utd, but I am not disappointed that we lost. We got exactly what we deserved.
2 - 1 up and facing a poor and demoralised team we played the whole second half playing as though it was an over 50’s walking football game. No interest in scoring and finishing them off, just walking pace sideways passing, to me to you then back to Kelleher.
Inevitably … a couple of bobbles, a ricochet and a miss hit shot and they are level.
All this and a series of shambolic mindless substitutions and we have given them the game.
They were there for the taking and we played like a smug and entitled team of Bertie big bolloxes.
I am not sad or even disappointed just bloody angry at the squandered opportunity.

8 Likes

Their cup final.
We have much more to play for.
On the balance i reckon we more than just shaded it…but I got a bad feeling as soon as we fucked up that 5 on 2 break we had.

1 Like

We should have made sure we finished in the top four last season, then.

2 Likes

We shot ourselves in the foot. There were some bad substitutions as well as some bad game management.

3 Likes

Something that needs to be pointed out is that Brooks flat out refused to send Fernandes off for what was a textbook yellow card foul.

Sick and tired of these useless cunts.

4 Likes

You spelt “corrupt” wrong.

2 Likes

I did ask that question in the post match given how that tie was done for a long time with the depleted squad playing a lot of matches already …Got laughed at from quite a few people, saying the pace is a training match pace, better to have Salah and Szoboszlai getting those minutes…

You know just because we didn’t get the result we wanted today that doesn’t prove you right though. That’s not how logic works.

6 Likes

Definitely feels like the tide has turned on Gakpo from what I’ve seen so far across various forums and social media.

Still a maximum of 15 games to go, so plenty of time for him to turn it around.

1 Like

But the counter point to that is Salah, Szoboszlai and Robertson subs were clearly planned ahead of time. If we were going to manage their time then why use the more important game to do it in?

1 Like

And as a complete aside but the yellow card for removing your shirt rule is still fucking stupid. 20 year old lad score the winner with the last kick of the ball in the FA Cup and is sent off for being happy about it. Get rid of that stupid crap.

10 Likes