Post match: Man Utd v Liverpool (FAC 17/3/24 3.30pm)

But playing Szoboszlai and Salah for 90 minutes in the Sparta match when we visit Old Toilet in a few days time, and then managing their minutes in a huge FA cup tie with an international break looming sounds logical to you?

The result is disappointing, but they got lucky with our mistakes and pretty much we let them back into the game. They game out of the gate gun blazing but we pretty much took over as soon as we started to actually play football.
Not piling it on Gakpo, but when he came on for Mo, there was nothing from him. The intensity was gone, our attack down the right side was gone. The worst for me is Gakpoā€™s decision making.
Too many miss opportunities from us to seal the game. Iā€™m not worry to play them again in the league in a few weeks. We prove that when we actually play, they have no answer for us. When we let the foot off the gas, then thatā€™s when they get lucky.
I would like to see Elliott play with Macca and Endo, I think Elliot offers way more in terms of workrate and vision then Szbo at the moment.
I suppose on the good side of this loss is we have one less tournament to worry about and more recovery time to go all out for the league and Europa.

Weā€™ll come back strong in 2 weeks, theyā€™ll all have fire in their bellies now when they return.

YNWA

1 Like

Agree totally, the emotion is part of the game

its his dayā€¦let him have itā€¦
Image of This is a nice moment for you. I'm gonna let you have it.

4 Likes

Salah wasnā€™t supposed to play the full 90. Szoboszlai and Robertson on the other hand really should have been taken off if they werenā€™t going to be in a position to get through this one.

In any case, it was obvious from the start that we werenā€™t at our usual levels energy-wise. I donā€™t know how that can be disputed. It was a massive advantage for them, which ultimately made the difference.

1 Like

I concur with your view. I donā€™t get the game management for the sparta match and this oneā€¦Itā€™s just so bizarreā€¦

Who knows. Weā€™re not there. recovery is not linear so isnā€™t that predictable. Had a player trying to build his fitness only played 60 in midweek there is no guarantee heā€™d have had it in him today to go the whole game.

But you donā€™t care you just have complaints, and your bar for airing them is pathetically low

4 Likes

Nah, youā€™re looking for excuses. We should have put the game to bed in the second half. We didnā€™t and shit happens.

3 Likes

They scored more against us tonight than the last 4 years combined.

Now, I donā€™t know if thatā€™s trueā€¦ but it feels about right.

2 Likes

Regarding Gakpo, Salah was far worse with numerous good opportunities to play a player in and made bad decisions trying to be too cute

3 Likes

Was pathetic in that second half of extra time.

Looked like we couldnā€™t be arsed. Got exactly what we deserved.

Anyhow we move on, we have to make those chances count in the league game.

6 Likes

I would go with the exact opposite question. I wonder why we havenā€™t gone with the same formula thatā€™s been winning us games the last few weeks. Fresh legs on at 60ā€™ and 75ā€™, keep the rhythm going.

3 subs used out of 5 in normal time. 1 more 10 minutes into extra time, and the last one 6 minutes before the end.

Fans are fickle. Gakpo will hit some form and theyā€™ll start singing his praises.

4 Likes

No point sitting in hope with him, heā€™s just not very good. How many more examples do fans want? Could well be gone in the summer unless heā€™s happy being restricted to cup games.

Heā€™s a 7/10 on his best day but that comes like once every month, nowhere near good enough Iā€™m afraid.

Yes, recovery might not be linear but it does make sense if Salah and Szoboszlai is gonna play today, the minutes management should be in the Sparta match where the aggregate score went into the double digits for us, not this one.

If I was Jurgen Klopp Iā€™d be fucking raging and some of those players would be walking home.

A clinical team would have won that 7-1. But not us, we have to waste chance after chance as we try and walk the ball into the fucking net. Fucking diabolical from Salah. Gakpo no better.

McAllister, Endo and Quansah my MOTM. Robbo, VVD and Diaz did ok.

Every fucking time we go there they destroy us down our right hand side and today was no different. Itā€™s a joke.

Beaten by fucking shite who didnā€™t look like they wanted to be on the pitch 2nd half.

2 Likes

I see Gakpo as an advanced midfielder at best.

he was about to change salah in the last game but clark got hurt

3 Likes

Xabi is 5 wins from announcing heā€™s our new manager and we have two more trophies to collect.

There is lots to look forward to.

10 Likes

Yes, but it was hilarious. Didnā€™t Richarlison also get sent off for a celebrationā€¦ Only for the goal to be ruled out by VAR?

3 Likes