Post Match: Newcastle v Liverpool (EPL 18/2/23 5.30pm)

I’m afraid Carragher has definitely become addicted to fame…
He got to have an in-your-face opinion on absolutely everything

1 Like

FIFY

That’s a huge win and result against Newcastle who started the day ahead of us in 4th place in the standings.

Now we’re just 3 points away and we have a game in hand to catch up to Newcastle.

I can’t believe it but we’re within striking distance of top 4 despite how poorly we started the season and despite how little our owners backed Klopp.

On the one hand qualifying for CL rewards these cheapass owners into thinking their behavior is justified - “why should we spend, we’ll just count on Klopp to pull a rabbit out of his hat!”

On the other hand I just want Liverpool to win. It’s a mixed bag of emotions.

Regardless, UP the Reds! I’m loving our recent form. Let’s qualify for CL again this year!

As for the match itself we were lethal early with goals from Nunez and Gakpo asserting our dominance against a side whose net spend dwarfed ours this season, we’re talking 180m euros vs 50m euros of net spend. The First half was beautiful. The second half was dreadful though as we wasted so many chances, and if Alisson wasn’t a world class keeper we could have squandered the lead with several bad passes that could easily have led to goals by Newcastle even though we were up a man. I’ll take the win and the clean sheet though, we’re on to Real Madrid!

4 Likes

Well deserved win, and yet with the extra man we couldn’t add to the scoreline. Still don’t understand why we don’t stick a guy on the centre circle for a 10-man opposition corner.

1 Like

I hate seeing Karius STILL get lambasted about the CL final without the concussion context

7 Likes

Correction, we’re three points away IF we win our game in hand.

4 Likes

Nice to get the ponts. Still going to be tough, but it’s doable.

Real will not be quaking in their boots.

Question is why does Pope even do it at 2-0?

You can call it unlucky but it was dumb and I think he could have left it or waited.

2 Likes

And now, time to get real.

2 Likes

I stand corrected on that but today there’s actually realistic hope of getting into the top 4. Let’s ride the wave! Go REDS!

3 Likes

Two lovely goals. Nice to see another decisive moment provided by Gakpo, the climb down by some in his player thread will be a sight to behold.

2 Likes

Yeah this goal by Gakpo showed something, glad to see it.

Good to see Klopp and VVD have noted the way we went off the boil.

Says Darwin has pain but not sure what it is. Rather it be shoulder than anything leg related mind.

1 Like

The triangle passes and movement that set up Trent to get the time and space to cross for Darwin’s goal were quite clever

1 Like

Performance irrelevant, result is everything.
Results produce confidence which produces performances.

Looks out Spuds and Barcodes, coming for you.

Highlight of the day, the advertising boards showing “Behind the scenes tour of the stadium”
What, the boardroom and an empty cupboard?

6 Likes

Is it me or is every cunt on tv against us, after match analysis we saw the goals the Newsandcastle attempts and I’m still waiting for our chances to be talked about.

4 Likes

Only really only watching this because Rafa is on. Would have gone off usually.

But yeah we had a few good chances and haven’t seen any.

2 Likes

Thankfully no more Ramos to twist it further.

I don’t like the look of Carvajal…dirty fucker

1 Like

I don’t think Ramos would’ve taken Darwin on…

1 Like

Pleasantly surprised with that. We were tactically astute and preyed on Newcastle’s weaknesses at the back, which have become more glaring in recent games.

Defensively, we definitely still look muddled at times ourselves, and we’re still too easy to play through. The pressing need for an elite midfielder or two hasn’t gone, but we at least haven’t looked like headless chickens the past two games.

Still not too optimistic about the Real game, but we’re starting to cause teams problems at the right end of the pitch again. Let’s take it game by game. And let’s hope Darwin is okay - thought he was electric today.

7 Likes