Post match: Newcastle v Liverpool (EPL 30/4/22 12.30pm)

Man of the match
  • Alisson BECKER
  • Joe GOMEZ
  • Joel MATIP
  • Virgil VAN DIJK
  • Andrew ROBERTSON
  • Jordan HENDERSON
  • James MILNER
  • Naby KEITA
  • Diogo JOTA
  • Luis DIAZ
  • Sadio MANE
  • Sub 1
  • Sub 2
  • Sub 3

0 voters

Unused subs: Kelleher, Konate, Jones, Tsimikas, Alexander-Arnold, Elliot

:arrows_counterclockwise: 69’ Mohamed SALAH :arrow_right: :arrow_left: Sadio MANE

:arrows_counterclockwise: 69’ FABINHO :arrow_right: :arrow_left: Jordan HENDERSON

:arrows_counterclockwise: 78’ Thiago ALCANTARA :arrow_right: :arrow_left: James MILNER

:soccer: 19’ Naby KEITA (Assist Diogo JOTA)

2 Likes

Bad day

Should have been at least 6

5 Likes

hell of a game by baby…

3 Likes

Good day - we won.

3 Likes

Three points in the bag. Onward we march

4 Likes

3 points. Complete control. Gave a few lads a rest. Couldn’t ask for more in a 1230 ko in the midst of an 8-match month.

Also…Robbo…a bona fide club legend :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

What’s the difference between Diaz and God?

One is an all powerful being who brings joy and hope to millions with the promise of eternal glory and the endless vanquishment of the evil in red way below us

and the other’s god.

Keita exceptional, love him finally becoming the player we hoped he would be. Bloody good show lad!

5 Likes

Excellent all round, should have scored more to reflect how dominant we actually were.

Special mentions to Milner and Gomez, but Naby was brilliant. That goal was the type I watched over and over on highlight reels from Leipzig.

7 Likes

Yes and he still looked full of running at the end which was great to see

Another three points in the bag! Not our best game today in terms of attacking and especially in terms of finishing off our chances. But, the key point in our favour is our extreme defensive solidity. This is what brought us over the line without too much fuss.

It’s impressive, as Newcastle were in real form lately. They won their last six home games, so this result isn’t to be underestimated. :+1: Two points in front, let’s see how Abu Dhabi respond to this.

MoM Naby Keita, for a great overall performance. Mentions for Hendo and Millie.

6 Likes

A win. Job done,

Rotation needed, rotation done, and back to the top. Over to $hitty.

When the forwards misfire, which can happen, it’s important to find other ways to win, which is what we done. Sadio and Jota with the big chances, but their last moment let them down (finishing or when should have passed, or taken an extra touch).

Jota guiltiest with balsting right at Dubravka’s head when Diaz was completely free in front of goal. Salah came on, and sped through in on goal, but slight mistouch at end to stub out the chance. Andy also should have passed along the ground earlier, but chipped straight to Dubravka.

That happens. From 50 mins, I felt we tried to force the play too much, which meant we didn’t pass the ball around. This allowed a scrappy game from then, but even so, we created the chances, but the final shot (or the pass) let us down.

The midfield, especially Milner, were excellent and worked hard to make sure Newcastle were crowded out. The only real glimpses they got was the obvious offsides where the assistant of course needs to let it play out.

Over to Tuesday to finish the job against Villareal.

4 Likes

Got the win and it didn’t really look as if Newcastle were ever going to offer much to threaten our lead. Certainly pretty much all of our chances were higher quality than theirs — could’ve been 4 or 5-0.

It wasn’t, but we got the 3 points which is all that matters.

Also, looks like no injuries so I’m a happy camper, even if our GD isn’t as dominant now as it was earlier.

3 Likes

Comfortable win, but not a comfortable scoreline. All our forwards guilty of missing at least one decent opportunity.

But 3 points all that mattered.

3 Likes

Apologies for the doubt in the pre match thread.

In the words of Fonzi I was wr…wr…wr…

Great result. We were solid.

2 Likes

I gave one of my MOTM votes to Joe.

Won’t show up on the statistics but he made some unbelievable defensive plays late on. And I’m not overstating that.

Massive defensive plays that were nuanced and will likely get no attention but were so critical to locking this down.

15 Likes

Solid performance. Newcastle didnt really threaten. We controlled the game pretty much throughout.

You dont win league title’s with big score lines alone. Have to graft and grind out the 1-0s now and again.

Milner was causing quite a bit of stress pre match, ended with the MoTM award and had a big hand in the goal.

Gomez was solid defensively.

We go into Tuesday with some legs having had a rest.

3 Likes

For all the wailing and gnashing online when the team was announced, the midfield did well I thought. Transitioning from the back we were a bit sloppy at points, though, and quite a few players slipped, which didn’t help!

Still, we deserved at least a second. Jots was frequently a threat. Sadio not quite on it today unfortunately, but we’re over the line. Go again coyr

4 Likes