Post match: Norwich v Liverpool (EPL 14/08/21 17:30)

Wasn’t just that the moaning every time he got touched.

He wasn’t fit and was miles behind the play and hence why.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up missing another game down the line.

2 Likes

My 3 picks:

1. Mo
  2. Naby
  3. TAA

A bit slow starting off when Norwich came out flying but we soon settled down and took control and managed the game well, Klopp was very good with his subs today also, well done to all involved and our fans too.

2 Likes

Yeah Klopp made the subs at the perfect time, allowed us to make our quality count and not have a nervous last 10 (even though Norwich tried to get one).

Imagine that three saves by Alisson had been one nil, I doubt I’d be alive.

1 Like

Yea baby-face looks a lot like the poster boy of diving.

I agree. I don’t mind a cynical foul, but that was both cynical and dangerous. When you go in like that I think there’s a fairly substantial risk of causing an injury, so for me that’s red.

2 Likes

Defensively a little bit open but thats the only critique and the more match fitness we get and Fabinho back that soon goes away.

Considering it was our 2nd 11 midfield we didn’t half dominate…

Best bit of the front 3 (4) smiling and playing for eachother… Like they all took a long hard look at themselves over the break and remembered why they were the most feared front line in world football.

3 Likes

Klopp: “Kostas played very good. Then someone pulled the plug but that is normal, he played a really good game.”

8 Likes

A routine win in the end. Great to hear the travelling Kop in full voice.

1 Like

Matip is far and away my favorite player at the club. You just can’t beat him. No flair, no dramatics, no “look at me” in his game. Attackers simply cannot beat him. He’s also a low key madman, which only adds to his legend.

Ox’s performance was a weird one for me. I absolutely adore Ox so maybe I’m guilty of being a “Stan” (as the kids these days say) for him. I find it difficult to believe he became a different player overnight from what we saw of him in preseason. I want to go back and look at his heat map from the match to get a sense of what he was being asked to provide within the setup.

12 Likes

Job done. We eased into the game then went up a gear or two in the second half to run out worthy winners. 3-0 away from home is good. We were professional, but obviously there’s more to come from us.

I like Norwich and hope they stay up. First day of the season everyone has hope, just ask Arsenal after losing to Brentford. So we did our job.

Lovely to see VVD back. His passing is imperious. Everything about him is! Matip did well too. Trent was very good, and it was lovely to see his range of passing too. So good.

Tsimikas is about as good as can be expected for a back up. He had a decent game. Tired towards the end, but getting that performance under his belt will do him the world of good.

The midfield will all be replaced as the games come, as I doubt any of them are in our best eleven, as much as such a thing exists. But it was nice for them to play and show they are here too.

Up front we were a bit sharper than last season, when we went so long underperforming in front of goal. Jota got his goal. Mo got his goal. Bobby got his goal. Only Mane missed out, but he looked sharp too, so no issues.

Norwich is a good season opener for us. They try to play football, and indeed they did open us up on a couple of occasions. Alisson did really well when called on to keep the clean sheet.

There will be much bigger tests to come, but so far so good. Lovely to have the footy on again. Lovely to have the fans back.

The traveling Kop sang Si Senor for ages when Bobby did his thing. Beautiful!

9 Likes

I forgot Harvey too. (I’m calling him that because I don’t know how many L’s and T’s to put in his surname, so Harvey it is!)

So good to see him come in. Looked keen. Passed it well. Perfect game to introduce him.

1 Like

Since Salah joined Liverpool only KDB has more assists. Feckin state of the media here making him out to be a selfish player

13 Likes

Great to see big VVD back. Three goals, clean sheet, three points. Great all around.
Bring on Burnley at Anfield and smash them.

1 Like

Always grey take it off to a winning start it was a good game from the get go,
I do hope Salah gets the contract until 2030!!!

He was box to box but stayed back level with Millie a lot. He was doing the hassling defensively with Kieta 'floating’looking for the second ball. Kieta was our most advanced mid most of the time with Millie and AOC sitting farther back, I felt too far back much of it that left Keita a bit isolated (then he was being careful and passing backward a lot). All that changed when Fabs came on. There was definitely a plan there and it worked.

2 Likes

No serious injuries, might have been a knock or too. Anyone with any information about injuries? Every game we get through witout injuries the better and happier I am.
As it stands, win, clean sheet, no injuries.
Also matip looking good, VVD looking good and Keita looking good.

Great opening game. Entertaining from start to finish, so credit to Norwich who tried to make a match out of it. Liverpool purred like a classic car being taken out for a pre season run. Quality goals and lot’s to be thankful for.

2 Likes

Heavier pressing than I’m used to compare to the last season.
Trent on fire today and mo was unplayable.
Fabinho coming on transformed the team so that they looked like 2 years ago.
Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson midfield is the highest functioning group that exists.
This team can do some nice things if they stay fit.

4 Likes

My summary of the team individually

Ali: Quality, did what he needed to do and saved us with that save near the end. Best in the world.

Trent: looked rejuvenated and back to his best.

Joel: Quality, makes me laugh when he gets mad.

Virg: Rolls Royce, still getting fit you can see. Nearly there.

Kostas: Started well, looks good. Got mentally fatigued and physically quickly. Started to see that. Hopefully cut out by the time Chelsea visits.

Millie: Love him but looked his age. Booked early so was on a tightrope. Good leader in replace of Hendo to keep lads on their toes and effort levels high.

Ox: tad disappointed because of his high level in pre season. Think he will do better at Anfield. Needs to step up quickly otherwise Hendo , Thiago and Curtis will take his minutes soon.

Keita: Did okay, According to stats did well, has got stronger I noticed. Did nothin god note though.

Mo: What can I say, Baller

Jota: Thought he did very well, surprisingly taken off quite early.

Sadio: Can’t remember him much, but I think he did well. Needs a goal soon to keep him happy.

3 Likes