Post match: Norwich v Liverpool (LC 21/09/21 7.45pm)

Thought both CBs played well. Three excellent options to partner Virgil. Must be the best collection of 4 CBs on one team in some time.

Minamino and origi both showed they can be useful players in more than cup games I think. Ox was Ox, was good when he had the ball with space to run in front of him, not so good when he didn’t. Gordon tried hard, but looked like 16 yr old playing with men. A quick, dangerous 16 yr old if he found space, but entire game took place down other side of pitch and he started drifting around trying to get involved but never really happened for him. Bradley looks cut out of Neco Williams cloth. Occasion wasn’t to big for him, wasn’t awed by any of it, but maybe not as tidy in possession as you’d want. Nice debut though, wasn’t afraid to mix it up. Tsimikas was excellent again. We have the best two left backs in the league.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks that Kelleher was partly to blame for the penalty as he parried a shot, that Alli would have caught, straight to their player?

1 Like

“The first thing Kaide said to me - when I wanted to say congratulations - was thank you! I said, nothing to thank for, you deserved it!”

5 Likes

I thought ox was the only one who let himself down.
Not sure if it’s due to lack of sleep from new baby but he’d struggle to get in that Norwich team at the moment.
Youngsters were excellent and nice to see Minamino get a few.

1 Like

First half he was really poor but improved in the second and made some good forward runs.

To be fair I think those who wanted a new forward didn’t also want to keep all the ones we currently have/had

1 Like

havent gone back to look but im guessing you nailed it…

No, you’re not the only one. The shot was well hit but almost straight at him and he reacted late to move and get his hands up making it look much harder than it was. The thing is with Ali is that his positioning is so good that he makes save look like something any keeper should make. He’d have gobbled that up, no worries.

To be honest, I was more impressed with Klopp than anyone else on the pitch. We aren’t always aware of it but the work he and his staff are putting in is nothing short of stellar. It’s not just the fact that he had a team comprised of youngsters and bench players perform almost as well as the first eleven. It’s how he so visibly improves the players he has at his disposal.

Tsimikas is on another level compared to where he was when we first bought him. And that’s with him missing large chunks of his first season with injuries. Minamino looks stronger and sharper, more like the player that he was at Salzburg. Jones is mature enough to perform like a seasoned pro. We don’t skip a beat when he’s playing. Kelleher was almost perfect. Saved a penalty and played sweeper with confidence and assuredness. Konate is going to be a monster and Gomez with a little bit of luck will be as good as ever. The younsters making their debut made mistakes as expected but don’t they look like they belong? And Gordon with Klopp nurturing him? He has world class written all over him. Even Origi looks reinvigorated.

Appreciate him while he’s still around.

14 Likes

I wasn’t particularly impressed with Bradley. Maybe a bit harsh given his age, but didn’t look anything special to me. Plenty of time for him to develop at least.

Are we spoilt with the quality of Alli?

2 Likes

Ox was moved to winger and Minamino took the advanced midfield role. It was a net improvement. The problem in the 1st half was the forwards getting no service from AOC or Kieta which made Jone job very difficult. Jones deserved MOTM imo just for what he kept together in the 1st half, without hime doing what he did we could have had a shocker of a match.

Keita too perhaps but in reality I’d have thought that Ox should have been far more prominent and accurate last night. He was neither IMO.

He’s got a long way to go to get back to where he was.

1 Like

We are definitely spoilt with Alisson because he’s the best in the world. Kelleher was excellent last night. I can’t believe he’s the same keeper from a couple of years ago because I never thought he would make it with us then. Come on loads since. He’s calm and his positioning is very good. Also the way he sweeps up behind the high line is reminiscent of Alisson. The difference between him and Adrian in that respect is like night and day.

8 Likes

He has got mustache now as well. :grin:

I’d be devastated.

1 Like

PNE away next… was shocked we didn’t draw Chelsea or City.

1 Like

Massive surprise City got West Ham and we ended up with Preston.

2 Likes

Pleased with the draw at Preston - a proper, traditional club that we don’t play that often.

Hopefully this will be a chance for more of our U23s to get a game.

As a bonus, the away fans are, I believe, housed in the “Bill Shankly Kop” which should make it a home-from-home. I’m looking forward to this one.

6 Likes

Anybody know if van den Berg would be eligible to play against us?